Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

We Were Poor Tonight

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:18 pm

Sorry guys, we can moan about the Ref as much as we want but let's face it; after we scored we let the game slip.

They got a foot hold and seized it. We had no answer and I thought we were really lucky at times. NML was poor, Bamba had a few shaky moments and Grucic was poor too. The sooner we get Gunnarsson back the better. Why Wildschut and Traore didn't play was beyond me?

Next up the Bolton game but we let 2 points slip.

Ceri

Re: We Were Poor Tonight

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:20 pm

Problem with asking bamba to following Morison around, if the striker starts getting the better of him we are all over the place

You look at their goal and our Morrison was pulled way out of position to cover, probably didn’t have to move across there that quickly but as we were stretched it puts further pressure on the defence

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:03 am

NML should be nowhere near the team atm. We literally played with 10 men and he should of gone before half time.

Zohore charging up the wing would have been good to see but after the goal we were clueless.

Bamba looked shaky at times, but it didn’t help with Bennett going awol being too high up the pitch. Bamba was having to cover him at left back and in doing so, he left the middle open.

Ref was poor with the constant fouls from Cooper going unpunished. However, after all that, the main fault was Neil Warnock. His inability to not take NML off was more than poor and in my opinion cost us the game.

Ending on a positive, Etheridge was superb and Damour looked lively. He should start over Grujic.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:08 am

I was there and agree with all the previous comments.too much head tennis no one with any composure to put their foot on the ball and pick out a pass.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:11 am

Madine 6m....... . . . . . . . . .

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:38 am

Apart from the first 10 minutes what an absolutely abysmal performance. The defence was all over the place, the attack (apart from Hoilett) was non existent and it was a match where the ball was in the air more than the floor so our midfield was redundant. One of the worst performances I've seen for a long time.

Early doors but Madine and Grujic show nothing for me but I'm prepared to give them time. NML would have been better, if he were anonymous, but unfortunately he was far worse than that. I'm a big fan of his by the way and I'm hoping and praying he gets his mojo back!

I think we need 10 wins to get automatic and this was one game I thought we might have won, nevertheless it's a hard place to visit and a draw isn't a bad result.

Please, please Gunnarsson get back soon because we sure are missing you. My last thought on the subject, we will probably need unexpected wins at Villa, Derby or against Wolves and Bristol to make the top two!

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:15 am

paulh_85 wrote:Problem with asking bamba to following Morison around, if the striker starts getting the better of him we are all over the place

You lol at their goal and our Morrison was pulled way out of position to cover, probably didn’t have to move across there that quickly but as we were stretched it puts further pressure on the defense

The reason Morrison was pulled out of position was because yet again he was covering for the complete ineptitude of Joe Bennett as a defender.

So many goals come down that side of the field because Bennett is so often out of position and cannot defend.

Where was Traore tonight?

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:44 am

Couldn’t believe how bad Mendez Laing was, such a liability I’m surprised we got a point. emphasis is now on winning our upcoming home games, no excuses. all around us are hitting top form bar the wurzels, if we don’t start to win we won’t even make the top 6, never mind top 2.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:52 am

We were utterly terrible. Lost every second ball. There center backs had madine in their back pockets, their Morrison gave bamba a headache. Only quality on the pitch was Hoilett

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:11 am

davids wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:Problem with asking bamba to following Morison around, if the striker starts getting the better of him we are all over the place

You lol at their goal and our Morrison was pulled way out of position to cover, probably didn’t have to move across there that quickly but as we were stretched it puts further pressure on the defense

The reason Morrison was pulled out of position was because yet again he was covering for the complete ineptitude of Joe Bennett as a defender.

So many goals come down that side of the field because Bennett is so often out of position and cannot defend.

Where was Traore tonight?

Harsh to blame Bennett, they seemed to always have a man extra on his side, no support from midfield.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:59 am

I thought we started well for about 10-15 mins and did well for the last 10 mins, but in between we were very poor. I think Madine has the potential but Millwall’s defenders had the better of him last night. It may have been better to play Ken who could had a run at them. NML should have been left on the bus but would have probably got lost on there. I think the ref got it wrong because he waited so long to blow for the foul,if he’d blown straight away, Bamba may not have scored and there wouldn’t be a debate.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:06 am

nubbsy wrote:We were utterly terrible. Lost every second ball. There center backs had madine in their back pockets, their Morrison gave bamba a headache. Only quality on the pitch was Hoilett

Totally agree with this.

First 15 we were winning 2nd balls then Harris changed something.

I was dying for us to get NML off and put Zohore on and go 442. Two strikers would have been ideal. I would like a look at Hutchinson their centre back. Looked tidy.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:12 am

If you actually look at the goal it was Bamba who was pulled out of position by Millwalls Morrison like he had been all first half. I love Bamba but he had a poor game by his standards.

Bennet also made a goal saving tackle in the second half and was brave with his header which should have been our winner! Apart from one mistake when he tried to dribble from the back I thought he was one of our better players!

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:08 am

Warnock reckons we were brilliant second half. I must of watched a different game. :laughing5:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:15 am

Einstein wrote:Madine 6m....... . . . . . . . . .

Ah come off it will you. Two furking games in?! Madine held the ball up very well tonight.

Tell me, where was the service into the box for him to get on the end of things? NML couldn’t beat himself to get any crosses in so what do you expect Madine to do?

Einstein you’re not.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:43 pm

norms76 wrote:

Ah come off it will you. Two furking games in?! Madine held the ball up very well tonight.

Tell me, where was the service into the box for him to get on the end of things? NML couldn’t beat himself to get any crosses in so what do you expect Madine to do?

Einstein you’re not.

he's got a point though, £6m for a man to hold the ball up.....if we're paying that sort of money for a striker surely they doing more, even if the service isn't that good. 2 games in ? he's been a starter for Bolton all season, so its not as if he's lacking match fitness....I do think he was a panic buy and lets be honest £10m for Cornelius is now looking like a bargain considering we paid £6 for madine.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:06 pm

bluebird04 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Einstein you’re not.

he's got a point though, £6m for a man to hold the ball up.....if we're paying that sort of money for a striker surely they doing more, even if the service isn't that good. 2 games in ? he's been a starter for Bolton all season, so its not as if he's lacking match fitness....I do think he was a panic buy and lets be honest £10m for Cornelius is now looking like a bargain considering we paid £6 for madine.

Hes had one week here ffs. Trouble with our fans is they’re too quick to judge. We were poor yesterday and Madine broke his nose! He was kicked all night and did as well as he could have. Give him time!

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:14 pm

I only seen the second half but thought we did well judging that half. Was always going to be tough at Millwall, others have struggled there. Felt we were the ones we looked most likely to score. Could have had a pen, should have had a goal.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:39 pm

bluebird04 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Einstein you’re not.

10m for Cornelius a bargain. You have just moved right into the top 5 of my whopper posts clown that you are.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:41 pm

maccydee wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Einstein you’re not.

10m for Cornelius a bargain. You have just moved right into the top 5 of my whopper posts clown that you are.

£10m for a young striker with potential at the time... or £6m for a championship striker who didn't do much in league one......

if we are to get promoted, do any of you honestly believe he will be good enough to keep us up ? for £6m I would rather we went and bought a young striker with potential, and saved the money.

listen, I would love to be proven wrong, really would. I said at the time tomlin was a waste of money, I was called worse. time will tell really...

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:53 am

bluebird04 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Einstein you’re not.

£10m for a young striker with potential at the time... or £6m for a championship striker who didn't do much in league one......

if we are to get promoted, do any of you honestly believe he will be good enough to keep us up ? for £6m I would rather we went and bought a young striker with potential, and saved the money.

listen, I would love to be proven wrong, really would. I said at the time tomlin was a waste of money, I was called worse. time will tell really...

Are you honestly saying cornelius was a bargain compared to madine after two games!!!!!!

We haven't paid 6m for him either u twit.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:35 am

nubbsy wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Einstein you’re not.

Are you honestly saying cornelius was a bargain compared to madine after two games!!!!!!

Exactly what he’s saying.

That’s a whopper of biblical proportions.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:20 am

maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Einstein you’re not.

Exactly NOT what I was saying, right..... Gary Madine was £4m up front with £2m added on. ( I must admit, I thought he was 31, not 27 years old) but my point was, we paid £10m for potential (forget the name Cornelius) he was potential we were buying....compared to we've now just paid £4m(£6m) for a finished article which isn't going to be our number 1 striker....Zohore will be. now lets say we do end up promoted, then we will definitely be looking for better players than Madine, but then at that point that £6m is nothing and can be written off. but if we don't get promoted, we've got a player we've paid £4m for, who probably isn't going to be getting 15-20 goals a season. and again I still think we will need a better quality..

again, I hope I am wrong, I would love it if he became a 20+ goal a season striker. and I know 2 games in for us isn't enough time to judge him at this club....HOWEVER, on paper, it seems like a rash buy, more panic buy than anything and I would of rather we spent £1m on a young player and develop them.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:31 am

bluebird04 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Einstein you’re not.

Exactly NOT what I was saying, right..... Gary Madine was £4m up front with £2m added on. ( I must admit, I thought he was 31, not 27 years old) but my point was, we paid £10m for potential (forget the name Cornelius) he was potential we were buying....compared to we've now just paid £4m(£6m) for a finished article which isn't going to be our number 1 striker....Zohore will be. now lets say we do end up promoted, then we will definitely be looking for better players than Madine, but then at that point that £6m is nothing and can be written off. but if we don't get promoted, we've got a player we've paid £4m for, who probably isn't going to be getting 15-20 goals a season. and again I still think we will need a better quality..

again, I hope I am wrong, I would love it if he became a 20+ goal a season striker. and I know 2 games in for us isn't enough time to judge him at this club....HOWEVER, on paper, it seems like a rash buy, more panic buy than anything and I would of rather we spent £1m on a young player and develop them.

Stopped reading after your first sentence .

Madine was 2m with 4m if we get promoted

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 am

bluebird04 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Einstein you’re not.

Exactly what you said and all the back tracking in the world won’t change that.

The way the transfer market has changed 10 million then is about 35/40 million in today’s money. That shows how ridiculous it was for Malky to spend 10 million on a striker for the future.

Madine has scored goals in a struggling Bolton side he will score for us.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:52 pm

How do you say he’s a rash buy when Warnock said he wanted to buy him all window and thought he’d not be able to get him until the final day. Hardly a rash buy is it?

He wouldn’t just be saying that as Madine was well aware we wanted him.

It’s the figure that people are going on about, if it turns out to be 2m then that’s peanuts in the grand scheme of things, the way other Championship teams are spending.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:58 pm

norms76 wrote:How do you say he’s a rash buy when Warnock said he wanted to buy him all window and thought he’d not be able to get him until the final day. Hardly a rash buy is it?

It’s the figure that people are going on about, if it turns out to be 2m then that’s peanuts in the grand scheme of things, the way other Championship teams are spending.

Exactly.

Jordan Rhodes 8.5 mill wasn’t it?

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:14 pm

maccydee wrote:
norms76 wrote:How do you say he’s a rash buy when Warnock said he wanted to buy him all window and thought he’d not be able to get him until the final day. Hardly a rash buy is it?

Exactly.

Jordan Rhodes 8.5 mill wasn’t it?

Something like that, he’s had a few big moves and hasn’t exactly tore up the division. Assombalonga was 15m too and they’re still waiting for his Ball to come back down to earth after that pen yesterday.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:18 pm

bluebird04 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
nubbsy wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
maccydee wrote:
bluebird04 wrote:
norms76 wrote:

Einstein you’re not.

Hardly a panic buy, we were after him from the start of the transfer window. Zohore won’t be our number 1 striker now, hence why he hasn’t started the last 2 games. Madine is much better in the air and can hold up the ball better than zohore. Which is more suited to the way we play.

And you say he won’t get 15-20 goals a season, he managed to get 10 for a team that are likely to be relegated. Also, well be lucky to see zohore reach double figures this season.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Don't know what game some people were watching, out of the teams I seen go to The Den this season we looked solid and matched them and dominated the first 35 minutes and last 15 of the second just like they dominated the last 10 of the first half and majority of the second half.