Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Decisions even themselves out over the season or do they?

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:15 am

Decisions even themselves out over the season or do they?

After last nights shocking reffing I thought I’d look back at our fixtures so far this season to see whether decisions do even themselves out or not. I’ve seen 3/4s of our fixtures either at game or on sky.

Up until the Birmingham away game there were very few incidents where poor officials cost us or even rewarded us. Only big decisions from memory were in Leeds game where the ref sent off cooper who went for 2 yellows (both deserved). Since the brum game there have been numerous controversies involving inept officials.

If we start with Birmingham game the ref missed an elbow on Mendez which should have seen the blues player sent off. The ref then missed a high boot on Bennett in the box which should have been a penalty.

The next controversy for me was the wurzels away. Early in 2nd half pack commits a bad foul which should’ve been a 2nd yellow yet ref didn’t book him. 2 minutes later Bogle was sent off (correctly) for a challenge on pack. The game was 1-1 at time and had wurzels gone down to 10 we certainly would t have lost.

Millwall home game where we should have had at least one penalty.

The next bit of controversy was Hull at Home where Bamba scored from an offside position.

Next comes Bolton where Bamba is harshly penalised for a handball when ball hits him from a yard away and pen awarded.

Preston Home was another poor reffing display. Late in game Bogle fouled on halfway line. Ref ignores it and PNE counter attack and get a corner from which they score.

Qpr away was another game where the officials missed a foul in box on Healy and then Hoilets late equaliser was ruled out.

Man City game we should have been down to 10 plus lino incorrectly ruled out a second goal.

Sheff Wednesday away-zahore goal disallowed

Millwall away. Bamba goal disallowed and last minute handball missed by ref.

Feel free to add any other bad/good decisions but to me we have gained 2 points due to favourable decisions and lost 7 or 8 points to bad decisions. It really is time for officials to be accountable as it could easily cost us promotion.

Re: Decisions even themselves out over the season or do they

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:17 am

You may be right, but I am sure there are fans of every other club who will say exactly the same, and be able to go through their games so far this season and be able to point to decisions that have cost them six or seven points.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 am

But what happens if we miss out by a point or 2 at end season? Last night would stand out as the reason, not something that happened in another game! You cannot make up any lost points caused by bad ref decision like last nights :thumbup:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:08 am

pembroke allan wrote:But what happens if we miss out by a point or 2 at end season? Last night would stand out as the reason, not something that happened in another game! You cannot make up any lost points caused by bad ref decision like last nights :thumbup:

That was poor last night, you don't play on and then stop the game as you are about to shoot on the goal, we do seem be having a lot of bad luck lately :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:09 am

I think we have had our fair share of luck as well mind.

Burton away - very late goal 3points won
Sheffield Wed home - very late goal 1 point won
Fulham away late goal - 1 point won (may have got another even!)
Barnsley away - late goal 3 points won
Reading away - 2 late goals 1 point won.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:21 am

Pantmawr Bluebird wrote:I think we have had our fair share of luck as well mind.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Fair point but those were points earned not taken by crap officials. Late goals are often to do with superior fitness. I can’t think of us getting any controversial penalties or for that matter getting away with foulsvin box other than Fulham at home which we deservedly lost

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:22 am

I think we have had our fair share of luck as well mind.

What has "luck" have to do with late goals? The post is about "poor decisions", which also has nothing to do with "luck". :bluebird:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:31 am

bluespeers wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:But what happens if we miss out by a point or 2 at end season? Last night would stand out as the reason, not something that happened in another game! You cannot make up any lost points caused by bad ref decision like last nights :thumbup:

That was poor last night, you don't play on and then stop the game as you are about to shoot on the goal, we do seem be having a lot of bad luck lately :ayatollah:

Poor decisions by ref may go for you may not but at end of day we lost 2 points which cannot get back! People argue about getting pens ect but at end day you've got to score them? But last night we scored and the ref made stupid decision that cost us the points :old:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:36 am

I think any team who misses out on the play offs by seven or eight points will be able to point to decisions that have cost them those points. The same down the bottom, any side relegated by a few points will be able to pick out some bad decisions. Cardiff are not unique when it comes to dodgy decisions.

Been the same for as long as I can remember. Refs are no worse now that they were years back, they just come under far more scrutiny. Many on here will remember that virtually the only live televised matches were the major cup finals. If you saw Cardiff on tv, it was usually 10 minutes of highlights on a Sunday afternoon. Now we see them regularly on Sky, with tv cameras dotted around everywhere, and umpteen slow motion replays to analyse every major talking point.

All 92 clubs are in the same boat, all will lose and gain points because of refs, who like players, are capable of having a poor match. It is not only us who will feel hard done by, and this is part and parcel of football, and always has been.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:38 am

BLUE54 wrote:I think we have had our fair share of luck as well mind.

What has "luck" have to do with late goals? The post is about "poor decisions", which also has nothing to do with "luck". :bluebird:

Yeah I've just read the topic again and realised I went in a completely different direction with my post :laughing6:

I guess I was trying to say, yes we will get decisions against us that are incorrect and cost us vital points but we seem to do OK in getting points in games when all seems lost? Typing this up I'm getting lost myself with what I'm saying :D

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:48 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:I think any team who misses out on the play offs by seven or eight points will be able to point to decisions that have cost them those points. The same down the bottom, any side relegated by a few points will be able to pick out some bad decisions. Cardiff are not unique when it comes to dodgy decisions.

Been the same for as long as I can remember. Refs are no worse now that they were years back, they just come under far more scrutiny. Many on here will remember that virtually the only live televised matches were the major cup finals. If you saw Cardiff on tv, it was usually 10 minutes of highlights on a Sunday afternoon. Now we see them regularly on Sky, with tv cameras dotted around everywhere, and umpteen slow motion replays to analyse every major talking point.

All 92 clubs are in the same boat, all will lose and gain points because of refs, who like players, are capable of having a poor match. It is not only us who will feel hard done by, and this is part and parcel of football, and always has been.

Steve refs make perceived mistakes on pens offside etc but they are subjective as even var can be wrong if you listen to experts! last night was clearly a different thing altogether and it won't even it self out over season as same situation wont happen again to city? so the lost points won't be made up! Penalty decisions yes over season can say will even itself out but last night's decision won't be evened out :old:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:53 am

pembroke allan wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:I think any team who misses out on the play offs by seven or eight points will be able to point to decisions that have cost them those points. The same down the bottom, any side relegated by a few points will be able to pick out some bad decisions. Cardiff are not unique when it comes to dodgy decisions.

Steve refs make perceived mistakes on pens offside etc but they are subjective as even var can be wrong if you listen to experts! last night was clearly a different thing altogether and it won't even it self out over season as same situation wont happen again to city? so the lost points won't be made up! Penalty decisions yes over season can say will even itself out but last night's decision won't be evened out :old:

the ref cost us 2 points last night. Between now and May we could gain many more than the those two points as a result of bad decisions. It's points that will decide the season's outcome, and whichever way points are lost or gained because of these decisions, the end result will be the same.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:00 am

Most controversial decisions have an argument for and against. Last light is one of those that has no defence,

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:20 am

Bakedalasker wrote:Most controversial decisions have an argument for and against. Last light is one of those that has no defence,

No excuse for that decision last night, a very poor piece of reffing. I am sure today there will be other perfectly good goals ruled out as a result of poor decisions made by officials. We have even seen goals ruled out where the ball has clearly crossed the line, but has been missed by the ref and his linesman. We will also see goals given which should never have been allowed because the officials have made a poor decision. There will be a variety of goals incorrectly allowed or disallowed because of all sorts of different reasons throughout the season. We were hard done by last night, but there will be plenty of fans all around the country who will feel exactly the same as us during the course of a season.

Probably one of the many things that makes the game so interesting and stirs up so much debate on forums and in pubs and clubs. It always has, and I am sure we will all be debating many more dodgy decisions before the season finishes.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:Most controversial decisions have an argument for and against. Last light is one of those that has no defence,

No excuse for that decision last night, a very poor piece of reffing. I am sure today there will be other perfectly good goals ruled out as a result of poor decisions made by officials. We have even seen goals ruled out where the ball has clearly crossed the line, but has been missed by the ref and his linesman. We will also see goals given which should never have been allowed because the officials have made a poor decision. There will be a variety of goals incorrectly allowed or disallowed because of all sorts of different reasons throughout the season. We were hard done by last night, but there will be plenty of fans all around the country who will feel exactly the same as us during the course of a season.

Probably one of the many things that makes the game so interesting and stirs up so much debate on forums and in pubs and clubs. It always has, and I am sure we will all be debating many more dodgy decisions before the season finishes.

yeah but that one last night is going to be in the top one of totally getting it wrong.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:47 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

the ref cost us 2 points last night. Between now and May we could gain many more than the those two points as a result of bad decisions. It's points that will decide the season's outcome, and whichever way points are lost or gained because of these decisions, the end result will be the same.

No doubt all clubs will benefit from bad decision's made by official's but as I've said if get dubious pen you've still got to score! so having a pen doesn't give you a goal no matter how many you get over a season, and don't always give you points either. Last night clearly cost us 2 extra points :| :thumbup:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:43 pm

WE ARE WELSH IN AN ENGLISH LEAGUE. It will never even itself out until var

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:08 pm

trotskie wrote:WE ARE WELSH IN AN ENGLISH LEAGUE. It will never even itself out until var

Well var wouldn't help us lat night! And only need to look at tmo today everyone said Wales scored a try everyone except tmo who said wasnt sure player grounded ball even though had perfect picture available! !!! Be same with var as been proven already in couple games. :thumbup:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:20 pm

For me that saying is a pile of bollocks.

If we miss out on automatic promotion by one point at the end of the season it won't be because we weren't good enough over the whole of the season or because decisions even themselves out it will be because an incompetent chump who should not be refereeing anything other than parks football made an inexcusable mistake last night.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:30 pm

davids wrote:For me that saying is a pile of bollocks.

If we miss out on automatic promotion by one point at the end of the season it won't be because we weren't good enough over the whole of the season or because decisions even themselves out it will be because an incompetent chump who should not be refereeing anything other than parks football made an inexcusable mistake last night.

Agree having a bad decision go your way doesn't mean you get the points! so can never even itself out no matter how many decisions go your way! It's decisions like last night that cost you points not dodgy decisions that may or may not give you a result! Same thing happened to Norwich today scored but ref didn't allow play to go on and gave pen instead luckily they scored from it :old:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:36 pm

Has anyone seen the Norwich equaliser today? Again the officials have an absolute stinker!! That would have topped our weekend off if they'd missed that one!!

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:41 pm

Nickoblue23 wrote:Has anyone seen the Norwich equaliser today? Again the officials have an absolute stinker!! That would have topped our weekend off if they'd missed that one!!

That's the point decisions do cost points and they do not even out over season as bad decision's don't necessarily mean points at end game, :old: