Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Missing out on the playoffs

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:23 pm

If we failed to make the playoffs would it be a disaster?

I for one don't think we are ready for another crack at the premier league. We need another season or two of rebuilding before I think we could mount a real promotion push and have a chance of staying up.

We are making progress under Warnock on the field another 2 seasons with him in charge and then promotion and he could hand a team over that had a real chance of staying in the premier league.

Re: Missing out on the playoffs

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:36 pm

At the beginning of August if you said we'd finish 7th or 8th I'd say that was about right.

I'm keeping that in mind.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:02 pm

We are at the stage in this season where it can't be the end of the world for Cardiff as they are too good to miss the Play Offs spots as we are only 7 points if results go our way today, so the best of course for the bluebirds are indeed 2nd and promotion automatically, and the worse for Cardiff are the play offs, but I know which I would prefer, and that is 2nd

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:10 pm

I think missing out on the playoffs would be a disaster. Football can change very quickly as shown over Chrismas. I think we have a strong squad and with players coming back soon potentially.

Start of the season I expected us to be top 8 pushing for top 6. We have invested in January now so it needs to be top 6.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:19 pm

2blue2handle wrote:I think missing out on the playoffs would be a disaster. Football can change very quickly as shown over Chrismas. I think we have a strong squad and with players coming back soon potentially.

Start of the season I expected us to be top 8 pushing for top 6. We have invested in January now so it needs to be top 6.

I think other teams around us have also invested in an attempt to get to the PL. Some will inevitably fail despite that investment, lets hope that we are not one of those.

Personally, I do not think we will get an automatic spot, and Fulham are looking like dark horses. I think Wolves are a cert, and runners up anyone from Villa, Derby or Fulham. Play offs will have some tough opposition, but we know anything is possible in that end of season lottery.

I suppose we have to make sure we are in them first, but as you say things can change very quickly in this game.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Just goes to show how quick thing can change, last post I checked results and Derby were winning, Fulham were winning and Wurzels were 3-0, to to full time and they have all drawn.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:46 pm

My worry is if we're not promoted this season our generally disappointing crowds will drop further.the clubs been at this level for 14 of the last 15 years

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:59 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Just goes to show how quick thing can change, last post I checked results and Derby were winning, Fulham were winning and Wurzels were 3-0, to to full time and they have all drawn.

Wow, Luke! :shock:

I was out for the second half and just saw the results! Some fair odds on those three turning outline that and the Wurzels will be devastated after one win in seven!

Status quo remains after the latest games and we can (hopefully) pull three points clear on Tuesday

It just goes to show it is all still to play for! :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Before the implosion over Christmas we had more points after the first half of the season than the team that got promoted a few years ago.

No team had as many points at one stage as we had and not been promoted automatically.

When we lost four in a row most of our injured players were coming back into the team so yes, given where we were with half the season gone to me it would now be a massive failure to miss out on the play offs.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Missing out on the play offs and inevitably promotion potentially could be disastrous.

We may not be ready but even if we go up finish bottom and come straight back down we will be relegated with another three years parachute payments.

If we don’t go up this summer then we will have to cut something like 15 million of the running costs of the club next season and that will mean a huge drop in money available for wages.

Inevitably players will have to be sold, players we need to hold onto if we were have any chance of promotion the year after.

My worry is if we don’t make it this season we could be in the wilderness for years and fighting at the wrong end of the table.

The other worry being Warnock knows this and might seek a new challenge elsewhere.

You have to take promotion ready or not.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:19 pm

dazza wrote:If we failed to make the playoffs would it be a disaster?

I for one don't think we are ready for another crack at the premier league. We need another season or two of rebuilding before I think we could mount a real promotion push and have a chance of staying up.

We are making progress under Warnock on the field another 2 seasons with him in charge and then promotion and he could hand a team over that had a real chance of staying in the premier league.

Sorry, don't agree and I think you're being negative :(

The team would need changing regardless of when we were promoted and the old adage "There's no time like the present" rings through! :thumbright:

The fans would like to see it and the club needs the money, so let's go for it! :ayatollah:

Appreciate the question though; so much better than starting a positivity thread on the Jacks! ;) :roll: