Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

SOME CARDIFF CITY FANS ARE CAMPAIGNING FOR

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:54 pm

SOME CARDIFF CITY FANS ARE CAMPAIGNING FOR PETER WHITTINGHAM TO HAVE A TESTIMONIAL AS CARDIFF CITY SEEM TO HAVE FORGOT?

Do you support this Campaign?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: SOME CARDIFF CITY FANS ARE CAMPAIGNING FOR

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:08 pm

Will be very muched deserved

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:20 pm

I hope we sign him up as a coach as soon as he hangs his boots up....But for me, even as a massive Whitts appreciator, I believe testimonials are from a bygone era.

They are no longer tax free lump sums at the end of your career, to set you up in your next career, normally a landlord or local salesman. Lets face it Whitts probably earned conservatively five to six million pound whilst here.

We (CCFC) could easily dedicate the proceeds of a pre season to a local charity and do without the who is going to turn up circus.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 pm

He’s a club legend , shouldn’t even be discussed

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:37 pm

Would make a great ambassador/ coach if he wanted it within the club.

About time the Club saw the potential of bringing back some of our great players to work within the club in some capacity!

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:SOME CARDIFF CITY FANS ARE CAMPAIGNING FOR PETER WHITTINGHAM TO HAVE A TESTIMONIAL AS CARDIFF CITY SEEM TO HAVE FORGOT?

Yes a No Brainer and well deserved :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:56 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I hope we sign him up as a coach as soon as he hangs his boots up....But for me, even as a massive Whitts appreciator, I believe testimonials are from a bygone era.

They are no longer tax free lump sums at the end of your career, to set you up in your next career, normally a landlord or local salesman. Lets face it Whitts probably earned conservatively five to six million pound whilst here.

We (CCFC) could easily dedicate the proceeds of a pre season to a local charity and do without the who is going to turn up circus.

You make an interesting point around the money but I think to me there is more to a testimonial than just giving the player a final pay off. It's a mark of respect from the club and the chance for the fans to show there thanks for a decade of loyalty -and that is why they are rare these days - there are very few players who show the loyalty and long-term service to earn a testimonial.

Whitts should absolutely get one. More of a club legend than anyone else who has graced the shirt since I started going down in the early 90s. :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Not sure about testimonials in the modern age. He was an employee at Cardiff City for 10 years, I worked for the same employer for over 30 years, and I am sure there are plenty on here who can beat that easily. Peter Whittingham probably earned more in a couple of years than I earned throughout my working life. I am sure he is comfortably set up for the rest of his life.

Back in the days when footballers earned a normal weekly wage, and when their career and all income ended in their early thirties, I can understand fans trying to provide them with a few extra bucks to help them out for a bit until they could find themselves alternative work. In the modern era when footballers like Whittingham already have far more money than most of us could only dream of, I'm not sure that testimonials are valid any longer.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:10 pm

He should but once they have left it seems a bit odd to me. Should have been the summer he left, it takes to long. Just like kevs.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:33 pm

2blue2handle wrote:He should but once they have left it seems a bit odd to me. Should have been the summer he left, it takes to long. Just like kevs.

Agree.
He absolutely should have one but I think it will end up like Kevs with a low attendance.
Saying that, a summer game whist fans are gagging for some football and against a decent side might work.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:35 pm

It's Whitts, love to see him back for a testimonial. Super kevs was good fun.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Another example of the club 'dissing' a tremendous servant and firm fans favourite! :(

Can't see it happening now but I hope I'm wrong! :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:30 pm

The club should be totally ashamed that it's even being discussed. Give the man what he deserves and not three years later on international weekend this time.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:41 pm

As long as we don't have to suffer a Dai Hunt speech like we did for Super Kev then I am all for it.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm

A pre season friendly against Blackburn ?

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:52 pm

Definitely but please not at a time when fans can't turn up like they did for Super Kev

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Non topic a club legend who deserves a proper send off.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:52 pm

They no longer have a place in modern football. The game has become engorged with money and testimonials have faded away.

I would suggest the only time a testimonial should now take place is when a player serves for over 10 years AND is about to retire from playing. I can also understand it for one club players but even then the monies should go to charity.

Let's be honest it's not the pension pot that it used to be in the days of underpaid sportsmen.

Whitts has gone on to continue his career elsewhere and not retired. He was not a lower division lesser paid player either.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:15 pm

Forever Blue wrote:SOME CARDIFF CITY FANS ARE CAMPAIGNING FOR PETER WHITTINGHAM TO HAVE A TESTIMONIAL AS CARDIFF CITY SEEM TO HAVE FORGOT?

Is this your website/forum to Annis?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:49 am

Wayne S wrote:They no longer have a place in modern football. The game has become engorged with money and testimonials have faded away.

I would suggest the only time a testimonial should now take place is when a player serves for over 10 years AND is about to retire from playing. I can also understand it for one club players but even then the monies should go to charity.

Let's be honest it's not the pension pot that it used to be in the days of underpaid sportsmen.

Whitts has gone on to continue his career elsewhere and not retired. He was not a lower division lesser paid player either.

Its nothing to do with a retirement fund ffs. I'll bet my bottom dollar he does give the money to charity, kev did and so do the majority of them these days.

He was our longest serving player in modern years and it's a matter of paying respect to a club legend

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:11 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:Not sure about testimonials in the modern age. He was an employee at Cardiff City for 10 years, I worked for the same employer for over 30 years, and I am sure there are plenty on here who can beat that easily. Peter Whittingham probably earned more in a couple of years than I earned throughout my working life. I am sure he is comfortably set up for the rest of his life.

Back in the days when footballers earned a normal weekly wage, and when their career and all income ended in their early thirties, I can understand fans trying to provide them with a few extra bucks to help them out for a bit until they could find themselves alternative work. In the modern era when footballers like Whittingham already have far more money than most of us could only dream of, I'm not sure that testimonials are valid any longer.

Spot On :bluebird:

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:30 am

it's a no From me and I respect Whitts a great servant of the club but any testimonial Now would be flat. He's moved onto another club time has passed it's simply not worth doing.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 am

My favourite all time city player. Gave me more joy than any other by an absolute country mile. Testimonials for footballers at this level are unnecessary. We just need a chance to give our appreciation. I'd go for a walk on before our final game of the season against on the Sunday against Reading.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 am

WelshPatriot wrote:it's a no From me and I respect Whitts a great servant of the club but any testimonial Now would be flat. He's moved onto another club time has passed it's simply not worth doing.

Same here. Whit's was a great servant, but he chose to move on, for financial reasons,,, & I'm not knocking that in the slightest.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 am

RICK+CCFC wrote:
WelshPatriot wrote:it's a no From me and I respect Whitts a great servant of the club but any testimonial Now would be flat. He's moved onto another club time has passed it's simply not worth doing.

Same here. Whit's was a great servant, but he chose to move on, for financial reasons,,, & I'm not knocking that in the slightest.

maybe it was football reasons ?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:15 am

paulh_85 wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:

May be it was, after all, he was offered a new contract on half the salary,,, allegedly.

I feel he could have contributed to the current squad, the question is if & when?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:34 am

Maybe he doesn't want one? He is a very quiet and unassuming so perhaps it's not his cup of tea especially as moved on for financial reasons. Being a genuine club legend may be enough for him?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:55 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
RICK+CCFC wrote:

It was.
It was the length of contract offered. He wanted to stay but wanted to play on with a two year contract.