NEIL WARNOCK: CITY PENALTY WATCH 2017/18

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:36 pm

The Cardiff City referees watch: The major decisions to go against them this season, the evidence and what Neil Warnock has said
By Ian Mitchelmore

Cardiff's draw at Millwall was the latest match to leave Warnock fuming at a refereeing decision

Neil Warnock's was left fuming after referee Keith Stroud ruled out Sol Bamba's late goal during Cardiff City's 1-1 draw with Millwall at The Den.

But it wasn't the first time the Cardiff manager has been enraged by poor officiating this season.

Let's not forget, Warnock himself is a qualified referee and certainly knows a thing or two about the laws of the game.

And here's a closer look at the key incidents to have angered Warnock this season, along with the evidence that proves the Yorkshireman has every right to be frustrated with some of the decisions that have gone against the Bluebirds.

The Cardiff City referees watch

Birmingham City 1-0 Cardiff City - October 13, 2017

The Bluebirds headed to St Andrew's on the back of an impressive four-match unbeaten run in the first game back after the international break. although a much-changed Birmingham side impressed in their opening fixture under new boss Steve Cotterill.

Che Adams' 19th minute strike ultimately proved to be the difference between the sides, although the Bluebirds were denied what looked to be a stonewall penalty late on as Joe Bennett appeared to be kicked in the face by Birmingham's goalscorer Adams.

What Warnock said about the incident

“So many things went against us, little things like coming off their legs and a goal kick given instead of a corner," he said .

“And Bennett’s got his head kicked in the penalty box and apparently the referee has said that anywhere else on the pitch it’s a foul.

“Does that mean he hasn’t got the guts to give the foul because it’s a penalty? I don’t understand it.

“I’m disappointed Sky haven’t shown it because it’s kicked his head off."

Cardiff City 0-0 Millwall - October 28, 2017

On the day where Anthony Joshua secured an 11th round knockout victory over Carlos Takam at the Principality Stadium, there was to be no knockout punch further up the road as the Bluebirds played out a dour 0-0 draw with the Lions.

But in added time, Cardiff skipper Sean Morrison was man-handled by Jake Cooper in the Millwall box before hitting the deck.

But nothing was given by referee Steve Martin.

"I just thought he was consistent throughout the game - consistently poor," Warnock said of the Staffordshire-based referee's performance .

"I thought he started off bad and fell away and the applause he got from the fans. I've never heard so much vitriol. I'm not sure he didn't enjoy it really.

"We thought Morrison was pulled back in their box but we've got to take our chances.

"I thought the tackle on Junior Hoilett was horrendous. I heard he got the ball but I've been told that if there's a follow through and it overly endangered a player it should be a yellow card. That's what I was told and you can't tell me that didn't endanger him by going through him.

"I thought they were playing opposites at one stage. It was a goal kick and he gives a corner kick, there was a corner kick and he gave a goal kick. There was a free-kick for them that should have been ours."

Bristol City 2-1 Cardiff City - November 4, 2017

In a match packed with incidents, Omar Bogle hit the headlines and he went from hero to zero after being sent off in the second half at Ashton Gate having drawn the game level with only his second goal for the Bluebirds minutes before the break.

Warnock had no complaints with the dismissal of striker Bogle, although he was left incensed by referee Mike Jones' failure to send off Bristol City's Marlon Pack shortly after the restart after a challenge on Sol Bamba when already on a yellow card.

"We've got a Premiership referee, and he's a good referee, who I expect to be consistent," said Warnock on the official .

"Sometimes they come into the Championship and they don't want to be here.

"And today I didn't think he was consistent.

"I thought the booking on Peltier, in the first two or three minutes, was very very minimal. I thought the worst tackle all game was Pack on Bamba, over the top. I could have sworn he was going to book him and Pack should have been off, 48 minutes, should have been 10 men."

Reading 2-2 Cardiff City - December 11, 2017

It was a night that will be ultimately remembered for Cardiff's stunning fightback as late goals from Joe Bennett and Lee Tomlin earned Cardiff a share of the spoils in dramatic fashion against Jaap Stam's outfit.

And while it wasn't a decision that proved costly as far as the result was concerned, it was one that ultimately hit Warnock hard in the pocket as he was sent to the stands for protesting a foul conceded by Callum Paterson.

The Scot went up for an aerial challenge but was deemed to have committed a foul himself by referee Stephen Martin, much to the frustration of Cardiff's boss who was later charged with misconduct by the Football Association .

"I’ve been in the game 37 years and I’ve never been sent off for something like this," said the Cardiff manager .

"He gave a free-kick against Paterson and it never should have been. I said to the fourth official he’s arched his back, it’s similar to one in the first half. I find it amazing, 69-years-old and I’ve never been sent off for anything trivial like that.

"The fans might have enjoyed it. Someone usually gets sent off at Reading."

Queens Park Rangers 2-1 Cardiff City - January 1, 2018

Having lost three Championship games on the bounce, the Bluebirds look set to get 2018 off to a perfect start as Joe Ralls struck the opener from the penalty spot at Loftus Road, but goals from Matt Smith and Paul Smyth capped off an impressive turnaround for the Hoops.

But it wasn't after the Bluebirds thought they should have gone back to South Wales with at least a point after Junior Hoilett had an 80th minute strike chalked out by referee Tim Robinson.

"We're bound to be deflated," said Warnock.

"I suppose it's alright when we look at it on a television but the ref's in a good position, I've just been to see him.

"He thinks it's deflected but it's clearly Scowen who's touched it and he can't be offside.

"The linesman asked him who played the ball and I don't think he knew really. He thought it might have been deflected which would have been offside. But it wasn't deflected. Scowen's played the ball."

Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 Cardiff City - January 20, 2018

Warnock headed to his home city full of confidence as the Bluebirds finally ended their miserable festive run with a home win against Sunderland.

And after a tight affair, the Bluebirds could well have left Hillsborough with all three points had Kenneth Zohore not been penalised for winning a battle of strength with Jordan Thorniley before lashing into the Wednesday net.

"That's a goal, isn't it?" said Warnock.

"That's never a foul in a million years. I don't know what (referees) see.

"In the old days they wouldn't have even thought about that being a foul.

"I think he just felt sorry for the defender really because Ken was that strong he just brushed him off."

Cardiff City 0-2 Man City - January 28, 2018

It was a game that Man City showed their Premier League class, although the match itself will only be remembered for Joe Bennett's horror tackle on Leroy Sane.

The left-back was later sent off for a nasty challenge on Brahim Diaz in injury time , but while his side were heavily criticised for their physical approach, Warnock was quick to highlight how Pep Guardiola's side had a mean streak of their own.

The Yorkshireman was particularly frustrated with an incident between Kevin De Bruyne and Wales international Jazz Richards.

"I wish they would have put a slow still of Kevin De Bruyne's tackle and studs on Jazz Richards," explained the Cardiff boss.

"We were unlucky on the day because Chelsea and Newcastle was the only other game and that was a damp squib."

Millwall 1-1 Cardiff City - February 9, 2018

Having taken an early lead through Junior Hoilett at The Den, the Bluebirds were pegged back as Lee Gregory stuck a leveller five minutes before half-time.

But Cardiff undoubtedly should have left with all three points after Sol Bamba's acrobatic effort struck the back of the net in the dying embers of the game.

The Ivorian's effort though did not count as referee Keith Stroud brought play back for a foul on left-back Joe Bennett on the edge of the area when an advantage should have been played.

"What can you say?" fumed Warnock.

"He’s had a bad day at the office hasn’t he?

"I like Keith, I think he’s a good ref, but tonight his concentration levels must have been minus. Not just the goal he’s disallowed, which I can accept if he blows straight away when (Bennett) goes down, but he looks where the ball’s gone, carries on, looks and looks as Bamba is kicking it he blows.

"Yes I have (spoken to the referee). I think he’ll say he was disappointed he’s made a mistake. He didn’t see Sol in the box. He didn’t see he was going to shoot. It’s quite understandable, he’s only 6ft 4. It’s easy to understand why he can’t see him."
Attachments
B.jpg
B.jpg (22.8 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
A.jpg
A.jpg (21.25 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: NEIL WARNOCK: CITY PENALTY WATCH 2017/18

Postby DandoCCFC » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:59 pm

I know these things are common in football and they are tough and go when it comes to giving penalties but if you are pulling someone in the box the way they do to Morrison when the corner is taken it is a certain penalty, these players that do it are basically saying I ain't gonna win this battle so I'll pull him down you are denying someone to get a head to the ball.

I feel like pundits and refs sugercoat a lot of these incidents in football, a foul is a foul there is no way about it.
I will.
And before anyone els gets in there no im not an ideot abroad

SL69.
DandoCCFC

Postby BLUE54 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 am

Have the EFL made any comment yet on charging Warnock about his comments after the game? They seem very quiet about it so far.
BLUE54

Postby Danny Says » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:33 pm

Another one. Fulham away. In last minute Morrison fouled and no penalty awarded.

I can only recall one where we got away with it. Hull at home for our goal BUT it was the lino who didn't give offside not the ref.

They say it evens itself out but no way. City are down by 7-8 points as a result of the referees going against us this season.

ps The penalty at Bolton was very harsh.
Danny Says

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:42 pm

BLUE54 wrote:Have the EFL made any comment yet on charging Warnock about his comments after the game? They seem very quiet about it so far.

Also,

Can they discipline a manager when clearly the wrong decision was made!? What NW said was right and fair I thought.

Not sure on the rules.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby BLUE54 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:04 pm

I guess they will have to charge him, otherwise they will be agreeing with him. That will be a first! :laughing6:
BLUE54

Return to General Chat