Cardiff City Forum

Switch to full style

A forum for all things Cardiff City
Post a reply

NEIL WARNOCK: MADINE BEST THING TO HAPPEN TO ZOHORE

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:34 pm

Neil Warnock explains why Gary Madine's arrival could well be the best thing to have ever happened to Kenneth Zohore at Cardiff City
By Chris Wathan

Madine didn't play against his former club on Tuesday night, but Warnock still believes he's had a positive impact

Neil Warnock reckons the arrival of Gary Madine has done exactly what he hoped for – and brought the best back out of Kenneth Zohore.

The Bluebirds’ Danish striker was not on the scoresheet as Cardiff cruised to a 2-0 victory over struggling Bolton through first-half goals from Arman Traore and Sean Morrison.

But he offered what Warnock described as his best performance of the campaign on a night Cardiff moved to within a point of second-placed Aston Villa.

Zohore has struggled with form and fitness this term after his breakthrough season that left him Cardiff’s top scorer and the subject of £10m-plus interest from rivals.

But Warnock hoped the deadline day capture of Gary Madine would fire the 24-year-old back into his best, providing both competition and a share of the goalscoring burden.

And with Madine having kept him on the bench for the past two games, Zohore bounced back against Bolton, with Warnock saying: “I think we saw the best game he’s played this season.

“I told him afterwards I should have signed Madine two months ago!

“To be fair, he’s been training thee same this week. Even before Gary got injured against Millwall, I thought about leaving him out for this one and giving Ken a go.

“He didn’t score but he linked well. I looked at the Chelsea goal last night with Giroud, just a delicate touch, and he did that three of four times, thought he brought everybody into it, some really nice touches but some good hard work too.”

Zohore’s hinted resurgence will give further confidence to Cardiff’s bid to stay in the hunt for the top two, though Warnock is maintaining he is not concerned with others around him as he prepares for the visit of Middlesbrough this weekend.

“You look at Villa, Derby, Fulham, and Wolves, they’re the ones with the big wage bills in the league,” said the veteran boss. “Every game, whether it’s Bolton or Boro at the top end, we just have to look after ourselves.

“I thought we were very professional here. It was as good as you’re going to get against a hard working team, who have had a decent run of form lately.

“We were on the front foot most of the game. If you could criticise, then perhaps we could have taken some of the chances but we restricted them to very little, and their keeper did very well with a couple of great saves.

“We have a genuine bunch, we feel we can beat anybody on our day, we’ll get those games where decisions go against us as it did at Milwall and has happened a few times, but all credit to the boys for continuing. I think it’s quite entertaining how we’re playing and I think the crowd’s up for it as well.

“We’ve got to enjoy the moment. We have another tough one Saturday, a different type of game, because Middlesbrough will come to try and win the game and they have good players.

“But I’m looking forward to it, like I’m looking forward to all the run in; we’re safe now, we can’t get relegated, so let’s enjoy it. We’ve got a good side and we can get better.”
Attachments
A.jpg
A.jpg (67.53 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Post a reply