" Aron Gunnarsson "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Aron Gunnarsson "

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:00 am

Aron Gunnarsson in race against time to earn his World Cup dream

By The Other Bob Wilson

Thursday 15th February 2018

The Bluebirds influential midfielder Aron Gunnarsson is facing a race against time to prove his fitness, not only for the World Cup, but possibly to define the rest of his career.

Manager Neil Warnock revealed earlier in the season that Gunnarsson won’t be signing a new deal at the Cardiff City Stadium when his current one expires in the summer. After over 250 outings in both the Premier League and the Championship, he has decided it is the right time to progress his career.

He has spent ten years in the English game, with nine of those in the second tier. According to reports, he’s after a move abroad, possibly to a warmer climate with a winter break and fewer games. When he does go, it is with manager Neil Warnock’s blessing.

The idea was surely to impress in front of the world in this summer’s World Cup in Russia. A good performance for his country could earn him a plum move to one of Europe’s top leagues. Instead, he faces a battle just to get himself fit once again.

After suffering an injury in October, Gunnarsson spent a month on the sidelines before returning in the Bluebirds’ 2-0 win against Brentford. 74 minutes into his next match, he suffered a breakdown and has been out since. The news isn’t good at all: after a December operation, he was expected to be out for ‘four to six weeks’. Six weeks later, there’s still no Ice Man in the Cardiff midfield.

Without game time, he could well struggle to get match fit for the summer showcase. Having barely kicked a ball since qualification was secured, the signs are not good. However, there will be no questions over his selection; Gunnarsson is his country’s captain and talisman. In their crucial qualifier against Turkey, he played well over an hour, despite carrying the injury that has eventually required needles and knives.

Neil Warnock later commented on Gunnarsson playing both games, admitting he was disappointed the player didn’t receive slightly better treatment. Given that he’s only played three games since, perhaps Gunnarsson might feel the same.

The World Cup is the first to feature Iceland, making it even more important for Gunnarsson to appear. He starred as they knocked England out of the European Championships in 2016, but Iceland, despite that fine win over Roy Hodgson’s side less than two years ago, are as wide as 250/1 to win the tournament. On the flip side, England’s World Cup odds are falling as the tournament edges closer.

There are only a few months left for countries to assess their players and make their selection before it all kicks off in Russia. Icelandic football fans will be watching the situation at Cardiff with baited breath, but they surely won’t be as apprehensive about the next few months as Gunnarsson himself. If he fails to recover from injury, he could find himself in the summer without a club and crucially having missed the biggest football tournament of his countries entire history.
Attachments
Gunnarsson.jpg
Gunnarsson.jpg (159.88 KiB) Viewed 3644 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

" Aron Gunnarsson "

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " Aron Gunnarsson "

Postby troobloo3339 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:08 am

So he goes for free in the summer
Well imo we should . Not be wasting money on getting him fit
Just to play for his country
I would of said sign a new 1year deal so we . Can get a fee in the summer
Or you can fund your own rehabilitation
troobloo3339

Postby Bluebina » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:14 am

troobloo3339 wrote:So he goes for free in the summer

It worries me that he may come back at a key stage in the season, and take five games plus to get match fit and up to pace, we can't afford to carry anyone now ??

Sod Iceland, he is a great player but is going to really have to prove himself before he comes back in, we have just started to get stronger in midfield and Bryson is due back very soon also.
Bluebina

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:20 am

Bluebina wrote:

It worries me that he may come back at a key stage in the season, and take five games plus to get match fit and up to pace, we can't afford to carry anyone now ??

Sod Iceland, he is a great player but is going to really have to prove himself before he comes back in, we have just started to get stronger in midfield and Bryson is due back very soon also.

he strikes me as a naturally fit person. he would also run himself into the ground if you let him. I imagine a few well timed sub appearances where he can certainly help tie things up if we are narrowly winning will help him
paulh_85

Postby AfricanBluebird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Bluebina wrote:

he strikes me as a naturally fit person. he would also run himself into the ground if you let him. I imagine a few well timed sub appearances where he can certainly help tie things up if we are narrowly winning will help him

Yeah some players are like that, look a Coleman at Everton, out for ages and on his first game back he was super sharp and all over the place. I suspect Aron is like that, I hope so anyway.
AfricanBluebird

Postby Brightspark » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:45 pm

He's been brilliant for the club so good luck to him, we should be thanking him not slaggin him off just because he wants to further his career
Brightspark

Postby Forever Blue » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Brightspark wrote:He's been brilliant for the club so good luck to him, we should be thanking him not slaggin him off just because he wants to further his career

Spot on :thumbright: :thumbright: :ayatollah:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby City Slicker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:37 pm

He's been our main man for so long and he's been sorely missed. I just hope he can come back for the last 6-8 games and help us over the line to automatic as a farewell gift. :bluescarf:
City Slicker

Postby castleblue » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:32 pm

City Slicker wrote:He's been our main man for so long and he's been sorely missed. I just hope he can come back for the last 6-8 games and help us over the line to automatic as a farewell gift. :bluescarf:

Agree with most of that but I think he may well stay if we get promoted.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
castleblue

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:21 pm

He’s played in a few games but I don’t believe we’ve missed him at all. Our season has been pretty good in my opinion and wouldn’t be bothered in the slightest if he doesn’t play for us again.
He’s stated he wants to go so I’m happy with that.
The biggest laugh is - ‘I’ll stay if we get promoted’!! Do me a favour! :lol:
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby bluespeers » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Brightspark wrote:He's been brilliant for the club so good luck to him, we should be thanking him not slaggin him off just because he wants to further his career

Wish he was staying but he has served us well so good luck to him, we have certainly missed him in our Midfield, never gives up :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
bluespeers

Postby Sneggyblubird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:30 pm

bluespeers wrote:

Wish he was staying but he has served us well so good luck to him, we have certainly missed him in our Midfield, never gives up :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Agree with this,some on here making shameful comments.
Sneggyblubird

Postby wez1927 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:51 pm

castleblue wrote:
City Slicker wrote:He's been our main man for so long and he's been sorely missed. I just hope he can come back for the last 6-8 games and help us over the line to automatic as a farewell gift. :bluescarf:

He isnt good enough for the premiership i eouldnt want him ,i would hope we would be aiming better than him if we got promoted
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby bluebirdoct1962 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 pm

wez1927 wrote:
castleblue wrote:

He isnt good enough for the premiership i eouldnt want him ,i would hope we would be aiming better than him if we got promoted

Agree, Wez.
I also agree that we shouldn’t be wasting money on him as he’s unlikely to be fit for us.
bluebirdoct1962

Postby bluebirdrob » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Gunner has been a good player for us in the past,but we should have sold him in August if he didnt want to sign another contract for us.
Now we get nothing for him if he leaves us in June after him missing months injured he has been a waste of money this season for us.
Hope he haves a good World Cup and good luck for the future. :wave:
bluebirdrob

Postby Valley Lad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:06 pm

Been an excellent servant for club, but was just a squad player a couple of seasons ago. Iceland doing so well in Euros raised his profile, but didn't make him a better player.
Valley Lad

Return to General Chat