Bloody cyclists

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Bloody cyclists

Postby maccydee » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:29 pm

I have every sympathy for cyclists and ride on the road myself on a bike so am normally great at giving space but I’ve been reported by a cyclist. I actually pulled out and didn’t see them due to the sun. Not great I admit. They then smacked the back of my car window a couple of times which I took as it was pretty rubbish of me not seeing them. I then waved an apology and flashed hazards as a sorry.

However, they have now reported me saying that I hit them.

Is there a legal definition for this as they were under control enough that they could hit my back window twice and didn’t come off the bike.

Hate cyclists!!!
maccydee

Bloody cyclists

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Bloody cyclists

Postby paulh_85 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:33 pm

maccydee wrote:I have every sympathy for cyclists and ride on the road myself on a bike so am normally great at giving space but I’ve been reported by a cyclist. I actually pulled out and didn’t see them due to the sun. Not great I admit. They then smacked the back of my car window a couple of times which I took as it was pretty rubbish of me not seeing them. I then waved an apology and flashed hazards as a sorry.

However, they have now reported me saying that I hit them.

Is there a legal definition for this as they were under control enough that they could hit my back window twice and didn’t come off the bike.

Hate cyclists!!!

well a lot of them use the cameras these days, if you contest it what proof is there?
paulh_85

Postby Whistler » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:06 pm

That's a very sweeping statement.

I could say I hate all pedestrians, cycling is environmentally friendly and good exercise, I cycle to every game and pedestrians have no recognition of cyclists, many a time they have stepped into the road and nearly caused me to crash. :occasion5:
Whistler

Postby Pembroke bluebird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Cyclists on the road when there is a cycle path grrrrrr mow em down I say
Pembroke bluebird

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:16 pm

As an avid cycle tourer myself and pedalled all over the world on road, path, track, mud, dust and dirt I can pretty much say I have experienced all types of drivers of all kinds but the fact you recognized your mistake and acknowledged that to them then they should have accepted it and be thankful that it did not end up worse.

To strike your vehicle is wrong and could have led to them falling off themselves which would have been their own fault, they could also have damaged your car which is criminal damage, so even though they reported you unless you have broken the law which you have not then there is not a lot they can do it.

I am a firm believer that all cyclists should use a cycle path if one is near by, the problem with some of the roadies is some of them think they are riding on a closed road in France and act like it, they use the road to suit them ie: whinge if a car gets to close but will happily go through a red light if they see no cars.

I wouldnt worry to much about it :thumbright:
1980s Bluebird

Postby Bananas » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:17 pm

As a driver and cyclist I can say that about 30% of car drivers should have their licenses and vehicles taken off them. The standard of driving with the 30% is simply atrocious
Bananas

Postby Bananas » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:18 pm

Pembroke bluebird wrote:Cyclists on the road when there is a cycle path grrrrrr mow em down I say

Great contribution tubby :thumbup:
Bananas

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Pembroke bluebird wrote:Cyclists on the road when there is a cycle path grrrrrr mow em down I say

Mow me down, I guarantee I will get up and leather you with a D lock before I die :thumbright:
1980s Bluebird

Postby Bananas » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:26 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:

Mow me down, I guarantee I will get up and leather you with a D lock before I die :thumbright:

:laughing6: :boxing: :bootyshake: :hello1: :violent1:
Bananas

Postby Danny Says » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:46 pm

1. Why do they think they can just ride through red lights? :banghead:
2. Why do they ride 2 or more abreast when they should be in single file? :banghead:
3. Why do they look so stupid in their lycra? :banghead:
4. What ever happened to good old Chopper bikes? :wave:
Danny Says

Postby Jock » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Danny Says wrote:1. Why do they think they can just ride through red lights? :banghead:
2. Why do they ride 2 or more abreast when they should be in single file? :banghead:
3. Why do they look so stupid in their lycra? :banghead:
4. What ever happened to good old Chopper bikes? :wave:

Ah the chopper, seems between the demise of the Chopper and the rise of the BMX everyone was riding my sister in law. Thankfully none of them had a helmet cam. :o
Jock

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:29 pm

Cycling two abreast reduces the length that you have to pass in a car, if there were 20 cyclists cycling in single file it would be a long line, by cycling two abreast it reduces the length to pass them :thumbright: Cycling in single file is not law either
1980s Bluebird

Postby davids » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:Cycling two abreast reduces the length that you have to pass in a car, if there were 20 cyclists cycling in single file it would be a long line, by cycling two abreast it reduces the length to pass them :thumbright: Cycling in single file is not law either

Much easier to pass 20 in a line as you don't have to go onto the opposite side of the road like you do if there are two riding abreast.

It is also extremely rare to see a cyclist stop at a red traffic light.

If cyclists want to use the road they should have to pay road tax and insurance like everybody else who uses it for transport purposes.

And lycra is such a bad look on 99% of the cyclists who wear it! :o

Also, those car free days that they have where no cars are allowed on certain roads is discrimination against car users - why can't there be a bike free day where all bikes are banned from city centre roads?
davids

Postby blooey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:48 pm

davids wrote:
1980s Bluebird wrote:Cycling two abreast reduces the length that you have to pass in a car, if there were 20 cyclists cycling in single file it would be a long line, by cycling two abreast it reduces the length to pass them :thumbright: Cycling in single file is not law either

Much easier to pass 20 in a line as you don't have to go onto the opposite side of the road like you do if there are two riding abreast.

That's why cyclists are advised to cycle two abreast - it's safer for them than if the cars were passing much closer whilst they cycled single file.
blooey

Postby griff105 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:17 pm

Try living in the country.
They are a pain in the arse.
If I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor
griff105

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:42 pm

davids wrote:

If cyclists want to use the road they should have to pay road tax and insurance like everybody else who uses it for transport purposes.

Also, those car free days that they have where no cars are allowed on certain roads is discrimination against car users - why can't there be a bike free day where all bikes are banned from city centre roads?

No such thing as road tax fella :thumbright:
1980s Bluebird

Postby 1980s Bluebird » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:44 pm

griff105 wrote:Try living in the country.

I do live in the countryside I presume you mean and yeh drivers are a pain in the arse :thumbright:
1980s Bluebird

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:22 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:

I do live in the countryside I presume you mean and yeh drivers are a pain in the arse :thumbright:

Take it your a cyclist? Explain why at great expense cycle tracks are made and cyclist would rather swerve all over Rd going up mole hills at great danger to themselves! Far safer to use cycle tracks you would think? :old:
pembroke allan

Postby pembroke allan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:26 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:
davids wrote:

No such thing as road tax fella :thumbright:

No tax discs but I've just had reminder to pay car licence !!! What's the difference? :o
pembroke allan

Postby blooey » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:27 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
1980s Bluebird wrote:

Take it your a cyclist? Explain why at great expense cycle tracks are made and cyclist would rather swerve all over Rd going up mole hills at great danger to themselves! Far safer to use cycle tracks you would think? :old:

I've hardly cycled in years, but cycle tracks are rarely safer - the surface tends to be heavily cracked, uneven, and there's often trees or bushes overgrowing into the path making it unusable.
blooey

Postby Gaynor Straight » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:22 am

blooey wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
1980s Bluebird wrote:

Can't say I've seen many cycle paths in the countryside.
Patience and understanding is needed by both cyclists and other road users. Patience from drivers that cyclists are extremely vulnerable and don't have the protection of a 1 tonne metal box and understanding from everyone that each has an equal right to use the road.

I've hardly cycled in years, but cycle tracks are rarely safer - the surface tends to be heavily cracked, uneven, and there's often trees or bushes overgrowing into the path making it unusable.
Gaynor Straight

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:24 am

Gaynor Straight wrote:
blooey wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
1980s Bluebird wrote:

Can't say I've seen many cycle paths in the countryside.
Patience and understanding is needed by both cyclists and other road users. Patience from drivers that cyclists are extremely vulnerable and don't have the protection of a 1 tonne metal box and understanding from everyone that each has an equal right to use the road.

Not in Pembrokeshire as they are excellent standard proper tarmac edges & trees cut well back fences put up in fact latest one being done they've gone to extroadanary lengths in making it! but garauntee only occasional pedestrian/jogger will use it not cyclists who generally are club cyclists on the roads. Besides roads are far worse condition than cycleways are. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby 2blue2handle » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:39 am

Cyclists should have to pass a test if they want to ride on the road in my opinion and should also get points on their licence like you would a car, they think they can do what they like.

My biggest annoyance cyclists on pedestrian crossings, the clue is in the name. Get off your bike.
2blue2handle

Postby Bluesman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 am

BAN all cyclist fro the roads. The cause more accidents then car drivers, they ride in groups and they don't pay any road tax so the should not be allowed to use the roads. It is just an excuse to dress up in Lycra. Passengers in car should be allowed to smack them behind the ear when a car is passing them. As you can tell I love cyclists. I am thinking up a game for car drivers such as 1 point if you frighten them, 2 points if you hit them and so on. We could start a national league.
Bluesman

Postby paulh_85 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:27 am

Bluesman wrote:BAN all cyclist fro the roads. The cause more accidents then car drivers, they ride in groups and they don't pay any road tax so the should not be allowed to use the roads. It is just an excuse to dress up in Lycra. Passengers in car should be allowed to smack them behind the ear when a car is passing them. As you can tell I love cyclists. I am thinking up a game for car drivers such as 1 point if you frighten them, 2 points if you hit them and so on. We could start a national league.

no such thing as road tax :sleepy2:
paulh_85

Postby maccydee » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:07 pm

All sorted.

I apologised and he took it in good grace.

Misunderstanding came as he took my raised hand apology as a rude gesture rather Than the apology it was.
maccydee

Postby JB1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:17 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Cyclists should have to pass a test if they want to ride on the road in my opinion and should also get points on their licence like you would a car, they think they can do what they like.

My biggest annoyance cyclists on pedestrian crossings, the clue is in the name. Get off your bike.

Ever heard of a toucan crossing? I cycle, walk and drive. Some drivers are idiots, some pedestrians are idiots and some cyclists are idiots. C'est last vie. Glad the op's situation is sorted :-)
JB1

Postby RV Casual » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Glad you sorted it mate :thumbup:

Like the fella above has stated there are good and bad in all walks of life and cycling is no different.

Some of them are brilliant and will go out of their way to make life easier for a car driver then you have some who for whatever reason will go the opposite way.

I was driving down South a good few years ago now between Lyme Regis and Sidmouth, lovely road, came up behind a cyclist hung back until it was safe to pass, then we came down a hill and he moved smack back into the middle of the road so I let him carry on gave him the benefit of the doubt then it became apparent he was just being difficult as he carried on in the middle of the road making it as hard as he could for me to pass safely (there was no need for it by the way, the entire road was completely safe). I honestly think the mad b*stard just thought he could go faster than my car :?

The one that grips my shit though is when you are in queuing traffic and they come up the inside of you, mainly at traffic light, if you want to use the road use it, but abide by the laws at all times, not just when it suits.

Like I said though, good and bad.... only earlier today, I came behind a cyclist and the fella went out of his way to make it easier for me to pass even slowing his own pace which he did not have to do, top man :thumbup:
RV Casual

Postby JB1 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:24 pm

RV Casual wrote:
The one that grips my shit though is when you are in queuing traffic and they come up the inside of you, mainly at traffic light, if you want to use the road use it, but abide by the laws at all times, not just when it suits.

'Filtering' is considered acceptable practice. Check out rules 160 /211 of the Highway Code. That's why there's advanced stop lines for cyclists at traffic lights ;-)
JB1

Postby RV Casual » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:33 pm

JB1 wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

'Filtering' is considered acceptable practice. Check out rules 160 /211 of the Highway Code. That's why there's advanced stop lines for cyclists at traffic lights ;-)

I'm not being funny mate but I can't think of one set of traffic lights anywhere around where I live or cycle that have the advanced stop lines for cyclists. In fact you very rarely see them anywhere.

Also whilst 'filtering' is deemed as acceptable practice, it's not law and filtering on the left is deemed as high risk and dangerous, and you should not do it unless 100% sure the traffic is not about to move, personaly I think it should be illegal for the safety of both the cyclist and the driver and I say that as someone who cycles and drives.

Personaly when I'm out on my bike, if I come to stationary traffic example lights, I'll sit behind the car I come up behind, I see little benefit in hoping up the inside of them making them have to come past me again for the sake of a few meters but each to their own.
RV Casual

Next

Return to General Chat