Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

WHAT MAKES A CLUB 'BIG' ?

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:50 am

There has been much talk on here about whether we are or are not a big club.

Most of the contributors have used the attendance angle to illustrate that on that basis alone we certainly are not a big club. I have posted my views on the attendance issue as have most people on here. We all have differing views and each opinion should be respected.

While mulling over the title question, I thought of history, cup finals, record attendances, potential, size of stadium, etc etc. I still could not decide if we were a big club although I think probably not.

It was then that I thought I would check out our historical attendance averages on the European Football Statistics website, which gives a season by season breakdown of our average gates and where in the 4 divisions we are ranked. I was gobsmacked to note that generally we are not in the top 35 best supported clubs in the country, in the 1990's we were ranked 70 odd and on only 4 occasions in almost a hundred years have we featured in the top 10.

As you might expect our ranking fluctuates wildly depending on what league we are in, but the the stats only illustrate what a fickle bunch of supporters we are and have always been.

We all have pride in our football club and would like the rest of the country to acknowledge that we are a big club but can you put your hand on your heart and say that we are ?

Re: WHAT MAKES A CLUB 'BIG' ?

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:18 am

For me, being a big club is what a club would pull in to watch at home when in the top flight.
Obviously the usual top six in the prem are massive.
Club's like Newcastle, are also big clubs in the prem.
Outside of the prem, for me clubs like Sheff Wednesday, Leeds, Villa Sunderland would also be big clubs because of pull when in the prem.
Small clubs in the prem at the mo are Bournmouth, Swansea, Burnley etc.
All about how big a clubs following is or the potential is when at it's best.

Only my opinion. :thumbup:

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 am

GENERAL CHAT wrote:For me, being a big club is what a club would pull in to watch at home when in the top flight.
Obviously the usual top six in the prem are massive.
Club's like Newcastle, are also big clubs in the prem.
Outside of the prem, for me clubs like Sheff Wednesday, Leeds, Villa Sunderland would also be big clubs because of pull when in the prem.
Small clubs in the prem at the mo are Bournmouth, Swansea, Burnley etc.
All about how big a clubs following is or the potential is when at it's best.

Only my opinion. :thumbup:

Inclined to agree!

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:50 am

Simple the type of Support a Club has :thumbright:

You should be a big club if you have the catchment area and the potential,plus you then of course need a 30,000 plus stadium :thumbright:

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:20 am

I wouldn't class Burnley as small mainly due to the fact they have the highest percentage of population at home games even with the likes of City & UTD not far away. I'm sure if the ground held 35k they would fill it

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:28 am

Big history big support big catchment area. Lots of people on the clubs database.we've got 2 0ut of the 4 !.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:13 am

Miller time wrote:I wouldn't class Burnley as small mainly due to the fact they have the highest percentage of population at home games even with the likes of City & UTD not far away. I'm sure if the ground held 35k they would fill it

The fact that Burnley do not have a large stadium will keep them a smaller club at the top flight, because it hinders the potential. I agree about them being a club that turns out big time pro rata, but that don't make them equal to other big clubs in my eyes. Neither do the geographical location make them big either. In fact the location of other clubs is an obvious hindrance to them becoming a huge club (ala Wigan).

Only an opinion of course.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 am

MoodyBluebird wrote:There has been much talk on here about whether we are or are not a big club.

Most of the contributors have used the attendance angle to illustrate that on that basis alone we certainly are not a big club. I have posted my views on the attendance issue as have most people on here. We all have differing views and each opinion should be respected.

While mulling over the title question, I thought of history, cup finals, record attendances, potential, size of stadium, etc etc. I still could not decide if we were a big club although I think probably not.

It was then that I thought I would check out our historical attendance averages on the European Football Statistics website, which gives a season by season breakdown of our average gates and where in the 4 divisions we are ranked. I was gobsmacked to note that generally we are not in the top 35 best supported clubs in the country, in the 1990's we were ranked 70 odd and on only 4 occasions in almost a hundred years have we featured in the top 10.

As you might expect our ranking fluctuates wildly depending on what league we are in, but the the stats only illustrate what a fickle bunch of supporters we are and have always been.

We all have pride in our football club and would like the rest of the country to acknowledge that we are a big club but can you put your hand on your heart and say that we are ?

actually had some interest in this post till the end. you you think fickleness is exclusive to us then youll be mistaken

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:21 am

paulh_85 wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:There has been much talk on here about whether we are or are not a big club.

actually had some interest in this post till the end. you you think fickleness is exclusive to us then youll be mistaken

Agreed Paul. :thumbup:

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:46 am

GENERAL CHAT wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Agreed Paul. :thumbup:

It's been stated many times and i only posted yesterday our history doesn't support having big crowds other than occasionally a big game! We are an average club with potential to be bigger and that's it! All the club's above us in crowd table are bigger than us and always have been! So that tells you what need to know. :thumbup:

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:53 am

paulh_85 wrote:

Paul, I never said we as supporters are exclusively fickle. Indeed no mention was made of other team's supporters. However, if you check out our historic attendance averages, there is only one conclusion you can draw.

As an example, in a 10 year period from 1922 to 1931, we went from the 5th best supported club in the land to the 48th, and we had only just slipped from the 1st to the 2nd Division at the end of that period.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:22 am

MoodyBluebird wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Paul, I never said we as supporters are exclusively fickle. Indeed no mention was made of other team's supporters. However, if you check out our historic attendance averages, there is only one conclusion you can draw.

As an example, in a 10 year period from 1922 to 1931, we went from the 5th best supported club in the land to the 48th, and we had only just slipped from the 1st to the 2nd Division at the end of that period.

Winning an FA Cup during that period would have a lot to do with that.... :laughing6: :laughing6:

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 am

GENERAL CHAT wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Winning an FA Cup during that period would have a lot to do with that.... :laughing6: :laughing6:

Plus another final and fact lost 1st div tital by 00.1 of a goal!!! Or something rediculas like it. :old:

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:11 am

It is the fan base and nothing else. Just look at Newcastle, packed every game even when results are crap. That is a big club.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:56 am

GENERAL CHAT wrote:
MoodyBluebird wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Actually, in the year we won the cup, we were only the 29th best supported club in the land, so you can make of that what you will !

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Bluesman wrote:It is the fan base and nothing else. Just look at Newcastle, packed every game even when results are crap. That is a big club.

A club that's never been in the lower leagues.

http://european-football-statistics.co. ... b/newu.htm

:wave:

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:09 pm

Forever Blue wrote:Simple the type of Support a Club has :thumbright:

You should be a big club if you have the catchment area and the potential,plus you then of course need a 30,000 plus stadium :thumbright:

And with a catchment area of 1.6 million within 10 miles we are amongst the biggest clubs in the world.

Love you Annis.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:19 pm

maccydee wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:Simple the type of Support a Club has :thumbright:

And with a catchment area of 1.6 million within 10 miles we are amongst the biggest clubs in the world.

Love you Annis.

Potential.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :laughing6: :laughing6:

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:49 am

Just a coincidence?.the top 10 supported clubs in the championship are the ones who have spent historically the most seasons in the top division.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Other people call us a big club! And it may also have something to do with our status as a world sporting city? Mind you some fans think if in premiership their club is big!! So guess it depends on fans point of view. :old:

Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:24 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Other people call us a big club! And it may also have something to do with our status as a world sporting city? Mind you some fans think if in premiership their club is big!! So guess it depends on fans point of view. :old:

I was in a cab in Mauritius a couple of months ago and I told the driver I was from a place in the UK called Cardiff that he probably hadn't heard of. He said he knew all about Cardiff City who played in the Prem. It just goes to show how global the Prem is nowadays and how if you can get there and solidify your position, it can not only enhance the status of the club but the city as well.

The driver was a Liverpool fan by the way, no surprises there !