Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Boro fan in peace

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:49 am

Boro fan in peace

Bore da, gents. I have a question re: the Ninian Park halt I hope you might be able to help me with. I'm ambulant disabled and have used Grangetown station in the past but Ninian Park Halt would be much closer for me if I knew for a fact that trains stopped there after a game nowadays.

According to the National Rail website they seem to - in fact, they appear to be even more frequent than I remember. Have used this stop to get to the stadium in the past but have also watched one fly by without stopping after a game. Bad news if you're on an 1800 advance purchase rail ticket and makes you a bit wary of getting stung again. Many thanks in advance.

Re: Boro fan in peace

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:31 am

Hi mate, I think your best bet would be to try and contact Arriva Trains Wales direct, as it is an advance ticket I assume that they have to honor it.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:55 pm

https://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/assisted-travel/

Hope this helps.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:06 pm

There are trains through to the station from Cardiff Central every half hour, before match, after the match they have policy of not stopping at Ninian Park, so unfortunately Grangetown is your only option by train however there many options of buses back to the central. Enjoy the match, (Not too much though) :occasion5:

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:40 pm

I reckon there is probaly someone on here who parks close to the ground who could give you a lift back up into town and drop you off by the station after the game. I would offer but I'm not going. Hopefully someone might PM you.

Failing that I would just get a taxi mate, might cost you 7-8 quid but saves on the messing about if your strugling.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Hello I catch the train from Ninian park halt and they do stop there. They can sometimes be full, but they stop.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Cardiff bus run a shuttle bus from wood street (2 min from the station) straight to the ground and back after the match

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:59 am

Thanks for your help, lads. Eventually opted for Ninian Park Halt and was in good time for the bus replacements to Newport and onward rail travel north. One thing, though - you seem to have the same problem with the local rail company at this stop as we do after games at Middlesbrough railway station on the Boro-Darlington line, to wit, the scarcity of carriages laid on to ferry large numbers of fans away afterwards. Quite dispiriting to think this is more widespread than people might imagine. I mean, I live in the Manchester area quite close to Eastlands so get to few City games over the course of a season and it's *exactly* the same there on Metrolink after a game as it was yesterday. Sometimes, just the *one* carriage. Taking the piss. Anyway, important win for you yesterday and all the best for the rest of the season.