Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Armand Traore has revealed he felt hurt "

Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Armand Traore reveals the full pain of his Nottingham Forest exit

Friday 16th February 2018

Armand Traore has revealed he felt hurt after being deemed surplus to requirements by Aitor Karanka at Nottingham Forest.

The versatile left-back featured 18 times in all competitions for the City Ground outfit this season before Spaniard Karanka was announced as the club's new manager in January following the sacking of Mark Warburton.

He played the full 90 minutes in the ex-Middlesbrough manager's first game in charge against Aston Villa, but played no further part for Forest having been told he did not feature in Karanka's plans in the final days of the winter window.

It led to him joining Cardiff City on loan for the remainder of the season , and the Senegal international admits his exit from the City Ground was difficult to take, although he quickly got over the painful news when he heard Neil Warnock was interested in bringing him to South Wales.

"For some reason he came at the club, we didn’t really chat or anything and two weeks later I got told I wasn’t going to play," said the 28-year-old.

"I didn’t get a reason or anything. You deal with it by believing in yourself. At first it’s hard to take, nobody likes rejection.

"It’s a game of opinions and you just want to keep moving forward and that’s what I’ve done. Especially when Neil Warnock was interested, there was a lot to be excited about.

"At first I was a bit hurt because I wanted to play but I quickly got over it and when my agent told me he’d spoken to Neil Warnock I was very excited again. I was buzzing."

Traore has made an impressive start to life with the Bluebirds, registering an assist for Callum Paterson's opener in the 4-1 win against Leeds United at Elland Road on his debut before scoring the opening goal in the 2-0 success against Bolton Wanderers in his first home outing for his new club.

And the defender - who played under Warnock at Queens Park Rangers - admitted the chance to work with the Yorkshireman again was an opportunity he couldn't turn down.

"I worked with him at QPR and I think he tried to sign me at Crystal Palace but for some reason it didn’t happen," added Traore.

"I always wanted to work with him again and I’m really happy here.

"I think this manager got the best out of me. My first year at QPR was my best one in terms of playing. When a manager like Neil Warnock wants to work with you, you can potentially play your best football again. For me it was really exciting.

"At the moment I’m still trying to find my feet because I haven’t played for the gaffer for ages so I’m trying to do everything he’s asking me to do."

Traore's loan switch to Cardiff City Stadium wasn't officially announced until February 2, two days after January transfer deadline day.

He joined Northern Ireland international Jamie Ward in making the move to the Welsh capital, with Lee Tomlin heading in the opposite direction for the remainder of the season.

And the former Arsenal and Juventus man admits the blow he was dealt by Karanka came at such a late point during the winter window that it left him with little time to find a new club.

"I think the interest started when I got told about 48 hours before transfer deadline day that I wasn’t going to play under Karanka which was a bit late," added the defender.

"My agent and the gaffer talked on the Tuesday and by Wednesday afternoon we had the green light.

"At Forest they had a lot going on so I think everything was signed before deadline day but there were some papers and things didn’t go through so we had to wait for the Football League.

"Everything went through in the end just before the Leeds game which was perfect."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Armand Traore has revealed he felt hurt "

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 am

I thought we signed him on a free after being released by Forest although I could be wrong but that was my understanding.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:17 pm

Thats what i thought

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 pm

This is what I was saying to my son earlier and then he read something that states he is on loan but I thought he was released and we got him on a free

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:02 pm

the loan market finished on deadline day and he was released and signed as a free agent? that was my undrstanding of the deal

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:07 pm

I thought he was signed as a free agent after being released as well.

The club website states he's on loan.