Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Leeds United are ripping off Fans Off "

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Leeds United are ripping off Bristol City and Championship fans - it's time for the EFL to take a stand

Bristol Post

Friday 16th February 2018

It has been revealed that Bristol City have sold fewer than 600 tickets for their trip to Leeds United on Sunday afternoon.

You can understand why given the eight-hour round trip from Bristol, totalling a mammoth 400 miles.

The game has been moved to a Sunday after been selected for coverage by Sky Sports with fans clearly the least of their concerns.

And to make matters worse for Robins supporters, Leeds are charging £42 on the day of the game - an increase of £5 from the adult advance price.

Paying £42 to watch Man United, Arsenal or Man City in the Premier League would be expensive but the top-flight now has an away ticket cap at £30.

1,300 Millwall fans paid £42 this season,but later Leeds offered everyone of them £9 back, which they asked to be donated to charity.

Even at Ashton Gate, the Robins do charge £41 on the day for premium plush seats in the Lansdown Stand. That is expensive but at least supporters are given a choice in the matter.

Leeds introduced an A+ category this season which could see match-day tickets at Elland Road cost £49 in certain parts of the ground.

By enforcing a £5 increase on the day for the Robins fans, Leeds are taking advantage of away supporters.

This is second tier football and Leeds shouldn't be allowed to charge rip off Premier League prices, especially in a division where geographical diversity presents a particular strain on regular away fans.

Leeds aren't the only club that rips off away supporters, Sheffield Wednesday often charge £42 for away fans too.

The average most expensive away ticket in the Championship is £31.69, according to the latest BBC's Price of Football survey from November.

Leeds fans on social media have come out against the ridiculous ticket prices with popular fan site WACCOE telling the Bristol Post that they want to see the away end sold out.

It's good to see, then, that Wolves have taken a stand by supporting their loyal supporters after subsidising prices for the Sky Sports Elland Road fixture on Wednesday March 7.

The run-away Championship leaders were being charged £37 by the Whites for the televised evening encounter but they have now paid to reduce tickets by £7 for adults and £5 for concessions.

A great gesture by the club who are rewarding their loyal support but it's surely about time the EFL intervened and introduced a cap for away supporters, like we have seen in the Premier League.

The Football Supporters' Federation continue to campaign and lobby the clubs for fairer prices with some successes. Reading have capped their tickets at £20 as part of the Twenty's Plenty campaign.

How much is too much for Championship football?

Can Robins' fans really be blamed for watching on the box when clubs are taking advantage of them in such a manner?

And shouldn't the EFL step in and help protect the wider interests of the game?

Money shouldn't be all that matters in football and far too often it is the loyal fans who pay the price.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Leeds United are ripping off Fans Off "

Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:58 pm

I usually do 4/5 away trips every year but I refuse to go to Leeds or Sheffield Wed out of principle

Football needs to be careful not to alienate fans with stupid prices..I have started to notice gaps in the seats at many mid table premier league teams that I have not seen before

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Someone has to come in and sort this out as QPR is a rip off too. Away tickets should be the same with all teams and the price this day and age should be £20 adult and £10 for child or pensioner whatever the league including the premiership.

As we still have the travel cost and dare I say something to eat and drink.

I took my son to Leeds a few years ago 12 hour aprox round trip and for coach and ticket cost me £120 before a drink or eat
A bloody thing where if it was 20 it would have been half the price

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:16 pm

So says the club that charged us £32 to go to their shithole earlier in the season.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:22 pm

valleyrambill wrote:Someone has to come in and sort this out as QPR is a rip off too. Away tickets should be the same with all teams and the price this day and age should be £20 adult and £10 for child or pensioner whatever the league including the premiership.

As we still have the travel cost and dare I say something to eat and drink.

I took my son to Leeds a few years ago 12 hour aprox round trip and for coach and ticket cost me £120 before a drink or eat
A bloody thing where if it was 20 it would have been half the price

Whilst it is a rip off Bristol are being a bit hypocritical moaning, yes its a rip off but lets not forget they charged us £32 to go to their place, they need to get their own house in order first before criticizing others.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Surely the most expensive ground in the World for away fans, as premiership is capped?

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Who do Leeds think they are? They’re just an average run of the mill team now, and eventually their fan base will dwindle!!

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:58 pm

Good to see the local paper backing their fans up

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:17 pm

Anyone noticed the bigger the dump the more a club charges to get in .sheff wed Leeds Bristol city etc.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Likewise, I've not gone to Leeds or Sheff Wed for a number of seasons even though I'm a concession.The prices they charge are disgraceful, whilst at Leeds the treatment of officials used leaves much to be desired. They are just taking the mick. Another issue that needs addressing is the miserly reduction given by some clubs for OAPs (£32/£29) being one this season. Surely a reduction of 1/3rd is not too much to ask for seniors.

StT.
<><

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:26 am

20 is plenty and these prices should be boycotted.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:01 am

blue lagoon wrote:20 is plenty and these prices should be boycotted.

It’s a business and they’ll charge the maximum the market will stand, boycotting is the only thing that will see them reduce their prices.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:51 am

The authorities need change their emphasis on equality of pricing. Equality should be Leeds fans ( in this case ) being charged the same to visit teams as fans of those teams are charged to visit Elland Road. At the moment Leeds etc have given themselves a bit of an advantage by limiting through price the numbers of away fans attending Elland Road.

If the opposing club wants to use the extra income to subsidize their own away supporter tickets then better still.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Live on Sky Today as well at 4;30pm