Warnocks subs - Dodged a bullet there

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby llan bluebird » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:27 pm

I thought we were cruising then the subs invited them to attack by playing 5 at the back then Halford sitting......

3 points, so i know fcuk all, but that could easily have been a different story.
llan bluebird

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Warnocks subs - Dodged a bullet there

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:35 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I thought we were cruising then the subs invited them to attack by playing 5 at the back then Halford sitting......

3 points, so i know fcuk all, but that could easily have been a different story.

Think he was just stiffening up defence after all they really never looked like scoring after subs. :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby paulh_85 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Yet another negative sticky :roll:
paulh_85

Postby Sven » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:45 pm

The first substation baffled me and a few others around me but the other two I could sort of see :thumbright:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby McNaughtyButNice » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Warnock reacted to them bringing Assombalonga on up top alongside Rudy when the lad who was taken off had been playing deeper and wider. The tactics worked, the game was well managed to the end and City won the three points.
Would you rather he brought on 2 fresh strikers and we conceded in the last 15 minutes as we would have done before Warnock's time.
Congratulations to the manager and the team for another great result in what is proving to be a fantastic season at the CCS. :bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:
McNaughtyButNice

Postby Sven » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:53 pm

paulh_85 wrote:Yet another negative sticky :roll:

I didn't 'Sticky' it but I note another negative, sniping post from you, Paul ;)

A thought out and positive contribution to it would be a refreshing change! :thumbright: :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Jonsey Jones » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:57 pm

I thought we were looking very dangerous before the first sub.

The peltier one confused me, i couldn't work out where he was supposed to be playing.
Jonsey Jones

Postby maccydee » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:28 pm

llan bluebird wrote:I thought we were cruising then the subs invited them to attack by playing 5 at the back then Halford sitting......

We won.

Who knows what would have happened had he not made those subs. Might have been two nil or we might have been beat or drew. Then you would have been on here dripping about that.
maccydee

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:15 pm

maccydee wrote:

We won.

Who knows what would have happened had he not made those subs. Might have been two nil or we might have been beat or drew. Then you would have been on here dripping about that.

Did notice he changed mind on last sub someone was stripped to come on but then changed mind and Brought on different player! !
pembroke allan

Postby bluespeers » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:05 am

maccydee wrote:

We won.

I don't alway agree with NW team selections/Subs etc and sometimes it will back fire but he is a Top Manager and as the the saying goes In Neil We Trust, he knows the players better than us, great win and puts us back in the mix :bluescarf: :ayatollah:
bluespeers

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:42 am

bluespeers wrote:
maccydee wrote:

We won.

I don't alway agree with NW team selections/Subs etc and sometimes it will back fire but he is a Top Manager and as the the saying goes In Neil We Trust, he knows the players better than us, great win and puts us back in the mix :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Well said.

He has enough credit in the bank where posts saying we dodged a bullet after a win against a good side are quite frankly a disservice to one of the very best managers we have had certainly by far the best in my time as a supporter.
maccydee

Postby Pulisnewport » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 am

Sven wrote:The first substation baffled me and a few others around me but the other two I could sort of see :thumbright:

Chris, Traore had Ice put on his thigh as soon as he came off, probably a precaution seeing as he hasn't played that much.
Pulisnewport

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:11 am

maccydee wrote:

We won.

Exactly, how many times did we drop point's under Dave Jones because we would never change it from his 442 in games.

The right subs are the ones that result in a win. :occasion5:
2blue2handle

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:15 am

2blue2handle wrote:
maccydee wrote:

We won.

Exactly, how many times did we drop point's under Dave Jones because we would never change it from his 442 in games.

The right subs are the ones that result in a win. :occasion5:

Yep or late loss v Preston when we had no options on the bench.

In Warnock I trust.
maccydee

Postby valleyrambill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:19 am

Pity Wales didn't have Warnock when wales played England in the euros . we were 1 nil up and England brought on
2 strikers with Vardy and Sturridge beginning of the second half and coleman didn't react as Warnock did yesterday.

We got 3 points yesterday and maybe who knows if Coleman had put James Collins on that game against England might
have been different so I think because of the result yesterday Warnock was right
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:23 am

valleyrambill wrote:Pity Wales didn't have Warnock when wales played England in the euros . we were 1 nil up and England brought on
2 strikers with Vardy and Sturridge beginning of the second half and coleman didn't react as Warnock did yesterday.

We got 3 points yesterday and maybe who knows if Coleman had put James Collins on that game against England might
have been different so I think because of the result yesterday Warnock was right

Sort of glad we lost to England. It got our team even more together (if that was possible) plus the loss made us change up our style a bit.

Also, it made England a lot cockier and they thought they had top sewn up.
maccydee

Postby valleyrambill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:31 am

Yea you might be right regarding the euros I was just saying I think Warnock reacted right yesterday. plus I hated losing to England lol but we made up for it
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Postby Norman146 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:32 am

pembroke allan wrote:
maccydee wrote:

We won.

Did notice he changed mind on last sub someone was stripped to come on but then changed mind and Brought on different player! !

was going to bring on Wildschut but swapped to halford.

Brought Peltier on to man mark traore and he just followed him for 15 mins which is why didnt seem to have a position. was successful I suppose as apart from one moment on left hand side Traore wasnt a threat for last 15 mins.

I think what happened with Halford was that when Pelts came on Patterson moved over to right hand side as Peltier was just following Traore so was leaving gap there and left back of Middlesbrough was pushing on in that space. Patterson was then buggered so needed a defender not wildshcut coming on to cover space. Could be wrong but that is how i saw it.

pretty sound tactics in my opinion and we won game. as someone said dave jones or slade would have just continued with 4-4-2 even if under cosh and it is this flexability that has won Warnock so many matches and promotions. Could argue negative but successful.
Norman146

Postby bluebird58 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:45 am

We had the perfect set of subs available and Warnock used them perfectly. We invited them on to us for the last half hour and they got nowhere, with only one wayward shot on goal. We didn’t really sit back, as we threatened on the break the whole time.

We replaced a tiring midfielder with a defender and went 5 across the back. Then, when they brought an extra attacker on we put Peltier to man mark (their) Traore, who Warnock clearly though was potentially their most dangerous player. That’s why Peltier appeared all over the place - he was man marking. Halford to replace a tiring Paterson at right back, and Damour to replace a tiring Bamba.

Great substitutions to manage the end of the game. Options we didn’t have a few weeks ago.

I believe the statistics now are that we have taken the lead 17 times this season, and won 15, drawn 1 and lost 1.
First game Cardiff v Coventry City 1967
bluebird58

Postby Ebbw Blue » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:13 pm

Subs where well used. Went with 3 centre half’s to ensure we where able to deal with the ariel threat of Boro in the closing stages. Bringing on Peltier who is a very solid defender to nullify them down the left, Halford to sit in front of the back 4/5. Once Warnock made the changes how many shots on target did Boro have? The answer is none. Great tactical changes ensured we saw the game out comfortably.
Ebbw Blue

Postby barry boy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:48 pm

That's why warnock has been a successful manager for 30 years and you have not.
We stil created chances after the substitutions.
Well done Mr Warnock
barry boy

Postby barry boy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:50 pm

That's why warnock has been a successful manager for 30 years and you have not.
We stil created chances after the substitutions.
Well done Mr Warnock
barry boy

Postby oohahhPaulMillar » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:00 pm

After he brought the subs on how many shots on target did Boro have...none

How many shots on goal..none

How many times did Etheridge have to make a safe ...none

How many times did Boro look dangerous...none

So we didn't "dodge a bullet" did we??
oohahhPaulMillar

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:02 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:

After he brought the subs on how many shots on target did Boro have...none

How many shots on goal..none

How many times did Etheridge have to make a safe ...none

How many times did Boro look dangerous...none

So we didn't "dodge a bullet" did we??

Great post.
maccydee

Return to General Chat