Our 'hard core' support and how to improve it??

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby blueheaven » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:48 am

I have supported City over 40 years and I have seen our crowds grow massively in that period. From a 4000 hard core when we were shit in the lower divisions we doubled that to 8000 hard core fans before we left Ninian Park.

Now I am not talking average crowds I am talking loyal supporters who will turn up week in week out. Currently our hard core support I estimate to be between 12 - 14000 which is a good base. We are definitely not a big Club but this is because we have never had a sustained period of success in our recent history unlike teams like Leeds, Derby, Middlesboro, Aston Villa etc all who spent long periods in the old 1st or Premiership and built their hard core support base up to between 20 - 30,000.

So although we have substantially increased our fan base we are still lagging way behind those teams mentioned. We do however have huge potential I believe we have a massive data base of people who have previously attended games, fans turn out for the big games and Wembley.

These are Cardiff fans who do not turn in week in week out for a multitude of reasons. I don't think Warnock and the team can do any more on the field and to currently be 2nd when you see teams below us who have huge squads and big budgets is a testimony to Warnock and his squad.

Could the Club do more?? I think the answer is definitely yes I think the marketing is poor I live in Aberdare and if I wasn't a Season Ticket holder I wouldn't have known we had 2 home games this week just gone!

We have to get the message out there posters with fixture lists placed in pubs, colleges, schools and large work places in Cardiff the surrounding areas and the Valleys.

Players and coaching staff visiting schools to spread the message and give out free tickets to the children. These children are our future and if we were to give out say 4000 tickets to schools for each game it would hopefully give those kids the bug hopefully some will come back in the future with a parent and some would certainly become long term supporters and help to increase our hard core support.

However I think the only way we will realistically increase our support and add to the hard core in the short term is a sustained period of success. That means promotion to the Premiership and STAYING there for a long period of time that way we might get our hard core base to around 20 - 25K and keep it around that Mark even if we eventually did end up back in the Championship. :old: :bluescarf: :bluebird:
Attachments
24993309_734205143444098_3095906718295448405_n-2.jpg
24993309_734205143444098_3095906718295448405_n-2.jpg (75.49 KiB) Viewed 903 times
blueheaven

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Our 'hard core' support and how to improve it??

Postby boyo1927 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:03 pm

Good post.... Its simple for me growing up most kids supported Liverpool, United and arsenal. Other clubs like Leeds and more recently Chelsea and man City... The main two without doubt are. Man United and Liverpool. So many of my friends support these teams. Brought up on successful big teams of The TV. Dad's pass to their children and this cycle has been there for 40 years at least. Sustained top flight football will change this...
boyo1927

Postby Charlie Harper » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Free tickets for kids is a great idea, although it was £20 for a kid and a parent yesterday in the family stand.

The potential has always been massive but people turn up for the big games only.

To be honest the club can not do anymore as it's cheap enough.
Mad bad and dangerous to know
Charlie Harper

Postby wez1927 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:29 pm

Charlie Harper wrote:Free tickets for kids is a great idea, although it was £20 for a kid and a parent yesterday in the family stand.

The potential has always been massive but people turn up for the big games only.

Agree i think its down to the supporters to turn up the club is no well run and cheap tickets with a decent team
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby skiprat » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:13 pm

Virtually everyone's got a smart phone/ internet these days. All clubs fixtures are at your finger tips.
skiprat

Postby cardiff 74 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:20 pm

Never mind the fans who are not there we are there that's what counts :bluescarf:
cardiff 74

Postby JB1 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:13 pm

What would Ricky Wright do? Gotta get the kids involved! Kids for a quid! The club need to engage and involve them more.. make them part of the Cardiff City family.
JB1

Postby valleyrambill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:18 pm

What a great post totally agree especially with this

Could the Club do more?? I think the answer is definitely yes I think the marketing is poor I live in Aberdare and if I wasn't a Season Ticket holder I wouldn't have known we had 2 home games this week just gone!

We have to get the message out there posters with fixture lists placed in pubs, colleges, schools and large work places in Cardiff the surrounding areas and the Valleys.

This what we don't do right , in all fairness Warnock has been going around the valleys and the club should be doing the same
my mate who was a city supporter but hasn't been for a few years has a little boy now who wants to go and he had to contact me on facebook to find out when the next home game was and who we were playing.

Local schools getting free tickets will really help if they enjoy it they will go again but if we get promoted there will be loyal supporters fighting for tickets
[color=#0040BF][/color]
valleyrambill

Postby crey » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:27 pm

I will not bother repeating my previous statements other than to say, we all have a choice I miss very few games but that is my choice if someone else does not want to come that's their choice not ours.
For Christ sake leave it to them to decide if they come great if they don't then that is shit but their choice
We should never want to make decissions for others, choice is yours and yours alone and their choice is theirs.
crey

Postby blue lagoon » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:41 pm

What is the general feeling on why the crowds have fallen prior to Dave/Malky promotion pushes . Is it the walk up or season ticket stalwarts that have walked away. If the club doesn't know the answer how can they put it right.
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Postby 2blue2handle » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:02 am

blue lagoon wrote:What is the general feeling on why the crowds have fallen prior to Dave/Malky promotion pushes . Is it the walk up or season ticket stalwarts that have walked away. If the club doesn't know the answer how can they put it right.

It was different that season in as much we were by far the biggest spenders in the league, had the biggest squad. I think we all expected promotion and it would have been our first time, everyone wanted to be involved.

Now it would be an unbelievable season, much bigger than under Malky as it wasn't expected this year, however its always brings around more excitement the first time around.
2blue2handle

Postby blue lagoon » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:18 am

Charlie Harper wrote:Free tickets for kids is a great idea, although it was £20 for a kid and a parent yesterday in the family stand.

Should be 10 Adult and quid for a kid.
WE'LL ALWAYS BE BLUE!
blue lagoon

Return to General Chat