A Novel Idea?

A forum for all things Cardiff City

A Novel Idea?

Postby City Slicker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:54 pm

I've been listening to a lot of televised football commentary over the years and have come to the conclusion it's all crap. Radio commentary is so much better generally (with the exception of Radio Wales).

I often turn the commentary off when watching football and usually enjoy it more, after all I don't need any commentary when I'm watching the damned thing myself. However, what do I miss? ...the crowd atmosphere! Wouldn't it just be perfect for some of us miserable old buggers whereby the television companies allow the option of watching the game with just the sound of the crowd? Bliss!
City Slicker

A Novel Idea?

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: A Novel Idea?

Postby GENERAL CHAT » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:05 pm

City Slicker wrote:I've been listening to a lot of televised football commentary over the years and have come to the conclusion it's all crap. Radio commentary is so much better generally (with the exception of Radio Wales).

I often turn the commentary off when watching football and usually enjoy it more, after all I don't need any commentary when I'm watching the damned thing myself. However, what do I miss? ...the crowd atmosphere! Wouldn't it just be perfect for some of us miserable old buggers whereby the television companies allow the option of watching the game with just the sound of the crowd? Bliss!

Some of its okay.

Trouble with radio Wales is they keep going off topic or even worse, talking about feking rugby... :banghead: :oops: :banghead: :oops:

Great idea of yours though... :thumbup:
Edmund: Have you ever been to Wales, Baldrick?
Baldrick: No, but I've often thought that I'd like to.
Edmund: Well don't. It's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough, sinewy men roam the valleys terrifying people with their close-harmony singing
GENERAL CHAT

Postby theclaw » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:00 pm

Very interesting idea,I’d like to give a go :thumbup:
theclaw

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:02 pm

Didn't sky do this at one point.
2blue2handle

Postby GrangeEndStar » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:19 pm

It is a good idea. I enjoy Rob Philips driving back home from a game but most of the callers are empty vessels who like the sound of their cringe-inducing voices.

There is far too much over analysis of the game these days and largely by people who just state the bleeding obvious.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'
GrangeEndStar

Postby paulh_85 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:11 pm

City Slicker wrote:I've been listening to a lot of televised football commentary over the years and have come to the conclusion it's all crap. Radio commentary is so much better generally (with the exception of Radio Wales).

Love it!

I find more and more I can’t listen to radio Wales but for the most part talkshite/5 live are ok. In terms of tv I know they’ve done alternate commentary teams so something like that with crowd noise only would definately be possible
paulh_85

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:35 am

paulh_85 wrote:

Love it!

I find more and more I can’t listen to radio Wales but for the most part talkshite/5 live are ok. In terms of tv I know they’ve done alternate commentary teams so something like that with crowd noise only would definately be possible

Do you think it isn't possible due to the bad language in songs from the crowd!?
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby paulh_85 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:41 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Love it!

Do you think it isn't possible due to the bad language in songs from the crowd!?

i think they can tend to turn down the background noise now when theres bad language (more noticeable in the darts actually, happens quite a bit) so its something they probably keep an eye on anyway i think
paulh_85

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:51 am

paulh_85 wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Love it!

i think they can tend to turn down the background noise now when theres bad language (more noticeable in the darts actually, happens quite a bit) so its something they probably keep an eye on anyway i think

Paul, I think its shown something like 30 secs behind so it can be lowered but if the only thing you had was crowd noise then it would be weird for it to keep dropping.
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby TaffEmbankment » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:42 pm

Try watching a City game streamed on ifollow. No commentary is provided on that, you just hear the crowd.

Its good, although takes a bit of getting used too. The good thing is that you make up your own opinions more without being swayed with what the commentators/pundits are saying about the game.

Bit like being at the game in the stadium to be fair.
TaffEmbankment

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:58 pm

TaffEmbankment wrote:Try watching a City game streamed on ifollow. No commentary is provided on that, you just hear the crowd.

Its good, although takes a bit of getting used too. The good thing is that you make up your own opinions more without being swayed with what the commentators/pundits are saying about the game.

Bit like being at the game in the stadium to be fair.

Can I watch all city games through Ifollow - Live?
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby TopCat CCFC » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:54 pm

2blue2handle wrote:Didn't sky do this at one point.

I thought the same back in the early days of Sky .
TopCat CCFC

Postby 2blue2handle » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:04 am

TopCat CCFC wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:Didn't sky do this at one point.

I thought the same back in the early days of Sky .

I'm sure it was a red button option around the same time we they had fans commentary option.
2blue2handle

Return to General Chat