Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Neil Warnock: "Marko Grujic"

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Neil Warnock: "Marko Grujic"

Monday 19th February 2018

It was a week that saw Cardiff City climb back into the Championship's automatic promotion spots after successive home wins against Bolton and Middlesbrough.

And as far as Marko Grujic is concerned, it was a week where the Cardiff faithful saw a new dimension to the Liverpool loanee's game.

Having played just 14 Premier League minutes for Jurgen Klopp's side this season prior to his loan switch to the Welsh capital, the Serbia international was always going to need time to settle in at his temporary home.

Fortunately, time is something that he is guaranteed as Neil Warnock revealed shortly after capturing the 21-year-old that the Bluebirds are obliged to give Grujic regular game time as part of the terms of his loan deal.

And crucially - for both Cardiff and Liverpool - Grujic has shown real glimpses that he is benefiting with every passing minute of action.

The four-cap Serbia man has played in all six of Cardiff's games since he joined the club while the Bluebirds are yet to lose in any of the five matches in which Grujic has featured.

The 2-0 win over Bolton represented Grujic's first full 90-minute showing in the blue of Cardiff, and he once again played a key role in the centre of the park as the Bluebirds thwarted Boro's attacking talents on Saturday.

It was notable that Grujic won all 15 of his aerial battles against the Trotters while he had five shots - albeit none of which troubled Ben Alnwick - at goal, more than he had managed in his previous matches for the Bluebirds combined.

And against Middlesbrough, Grujic once again showed that he can thrive in an attacking role, something rarely seen in his first four matches in all competitions.

Marko Grujic:

"I've had a particular role to play in a few of our games, as Millwall and Leeds had some dangerous attacking midfielders to track," he said.

"I think in future, you may see the attacking side of my game a bit more.

"The gaffer knows what I can do and that I don't have a problem playing different roles, so we'll see what happens in our upcoming games."

Given the injuries to Aron Gunnarsson and Craig Bryson, Grujic was always likely to be regular in the early stages of his time in South Wales, regardless of the requirements of his loan deal from Anfield.

But Warnock himself admits the Bluebirds are starting to see the best of their January recruit as he gets more and more fixtures under his belt.

NEIL WARNOCK:

"I think he's got better," said Warnock.

"He's not getting caught in possession as much now. He's realising how quick it is, especially in your own half. If you dwell on the ball in the Championship it's too late.

"I think he's got more strengths to his bow. He's made us play a bit more, he's got quite good vision and he's been very good in the air for us aswell so he's growing into it."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.