" BRILLIANT TIMES FOR CARDIFF CITY FANS "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " BRILLIANT TIMES FOR CARDIFF CITY FANS "

Postby Caerphillyblue1927 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:51 pm

Sadly some of our long time diehard fans may never return due to stuff that has happened over the past 5 years. But now is a great time to be a CCFC fan following a real good team that fight for each other and the shirt. Around the top of the table all season long and now currently in an automatic promotion spot.

What more can happen before fans finally get to the stadium and roar us on to promotion? Fair play to the 18000 or so that regularly attend now!

But I am sure thousands would return if we achieved promotion so they could see the likes of Man City, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and all :bluescarf:
Caerphillyblue1927

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:59 am

Barry Murphy:

Replying to @NigelBlues @AnnisAbraham
Not sure what else can be done about "promoting" matches. If your a Cardiff fan, you pretty much know if team are playing home. Im not sure what sort of "promoting" would bring the stayaways back?
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:01 am

carlccfc wrote:I have a theory on why our attendances are not as high as they were in the 2012-13 season.

1. We came over from Ninian Park a few seasons previous with 18,000 approx season ticket holders then we had the 5 yr price freeze so were in the middle of that offer during the 2012-13 season.

2. Didn’t the Premier sears sign up for 5 season deals and those numbers have dropped too.

3. This is the most inportant point for me, at the beginning of the 2012-13 season we all know the rebrand of CCFC took place, the Echo, the club and other media outlets championed the £100m investment into the club and this I believe was the catalyst for the increase in attendances that season, the public were excited by the investment and as such we saw increased crowds. We were promoted that season, so the following season the crowds were guaranteed virtually because of the Premier League. The season following our relegation we held on to fans who lived in hope of an immediate bounce back up to the top flight.

Since then our crowds have been decreasing due the ‘negativity’ surrounding wages cut backs and no more big spending etc.

My personal opinion is that we won’t see big crowds unless we are successful and by that I mean Premier League football now before we see the ‘floaters’ return.

Only my theory but I don’t think it is down to one incident but a number of factors all coming together of a few seasons.

Fair play Carl, a lot of truth there :thumbright: :thumbright: and I think you've stated stuff like £100mill which has not been mentioned before and fans did buy in to it and wanted to be part of it and some at any cost to our identity.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby OriginalGrangeEndBlue » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:26 am

Forever Blue wrote:Reply from Twitter

Barry Murphy

@BMurphy1981

Replying to @PaulAbbandonato @AnnisAbraham @CardiffCityFC
We have a hardcore fanbase of around 16,000. Not the huge base that people seem to think. There's around 3-5,000 who have stayed away but visit occasionally then the "fairweather/plastic" fan who will go to the glamour games. Just have to accept it

I don’t believe we have a hardcore fan base of anywhere near 16,000.
To me, ‘hardcore’ fans are the type of fans who will go regardless. If we were struggling in the bottom half of the championship for a couple of seasons or dropped down a league we wouldn’t be getting anywhere close to 16,000.
OriginalGrangeEndBlue

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:19 am

actionman wrote:We’ve lost between 4000/5000 due to the rebrand

:lol:
paulh_85

Postby paulh_85 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:33 am

carlccfc wrote:I have a theory on why our attendances are not as high as they were in the 2012-13 season.

1. We came over from Ninian Park a few seasons previous with 18,000 approx season ticket holders then we had the 5 yr price freeze so were in the middle of that offer during the 2012-13 season.

2. Didn’t the Premier sears sign up for 5 season deals and those numbers have dropped too.

3. This is the most inportant point for me, at the beginning of the 2012-13 season we all know the rebrand of CCFC took place, the Echo, the club and other media outlets championed the £100m investment into the club and this I believe was the catalyst for the increase in attendances that season, the public were excited by the investment and as such we saw increased crowds. We were promoted that season, so the following season the crowds were guaranteed virtually because of the Premier League. The season following our relegation we held on to fans who lived in hope of an immediate bounce back up to the top flight.

Since then our crowds have been decreasing due the ‘negativity’ surrounding wages cut backs and no more big spending etc.

My personal opinion is that we won’t see big crowds unless we are successful and by that I mean Premier League football now before we see the ‘floaters’ return.

Only my theory but I don’t think it is down to one incident but a number of factors all coming together of a few seasons.

finally a sensible post on the subject. the club spent years building up the number of season tickets on promises and after the disaster of the premier league that all died away.

the rebrand has of course affected some, but not the level some on here claim
paulh_85

Postby wez1927 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:46 am

Good post
CARDIFF CITY TILL I DIE !
wez1927

Postby Dai Drope » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:48 am

All of this talk about our crowds being low at 16,000 / 18,000 / 30,000, etc make me think that we have come hell of a long way from the Duran days when crowds of 2,000 max were the norm. As people point out success and the glamour Premier clubs will see 'Sold Out' signs up down the City.
Dai Drope

Postby epping blue » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:55 am

paulh_85 wrote:
actionman wrote:We’ve lost between 4000/5000 due to the rebrand

:lol:

You may scoff and to be honest its all speculation particularly at the extremes. However this season we're finally challenging at the level we were at pre rebrand and the average is down probably around 4k from those levels. Of course there's no recent history of cup final attendance and the new stadium bounce that needs to be factored against those figures.

I doubt there's many that don't know someone who didn't stop as a consequence of the rebrand although to be honest I now know more who have stopped going through age, ill health and death. Personally I used to travel down to 75% of home games where as I now get down to less than 5 a season. That's not rebrand despite my opposition to it, its old age.

The problem is we're not getting enough new fans through the gate, even at this time. The Grandstand is dieing, literally and the family stand has lost 80% of its support from the peak years. I don't know the answer to that, I'm not sure its through continued discounting. If you devalue it to such an extent then a lot will think its not worth anything at all.

Cardiff is a continually growing vibrant city and top level football would be mutually beneficial. We'll get there in the end but in my opinion the rebrand set us back a good few years. It would be great to go up with an all inclusive true fan fare. It was more like an embarrassed whimper last time. Cant wait for Ipswich tomorrow although I'm pretty excited about tonight's championship games.
epping blue

Postby CaerphillyBluebird15 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:21 am

Lawnmower wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Sven wrote:Some pertinent points there, Annis and it's hard to disagree with any of what you write :thumbright:

Something has happened between the 2nd Malky season and the current one and it does appear a lot of previous 'die-hards' have effectively given up (or more likely found other things to do on a match day)

Not just in football but in all walks of life, no matter how regular or loyal they are, if a person stops doing something for more than a short time it becomes difficult to go back and do it again, so the 'habit' breaks

I think that's a lot of what happened here and a lot of very good fans have been lost :cry:

Correct Sven.

My dad watched Cardiff from the late 70s ( I think ) and he stopped during the rebrand and has never returned.
He does the occasional away day but that's just for a day out with his mates.

I haven't been to the CCS for years either myself but this season is the closest I've come to attending a home game.
I think Bristol could possibly be my return! :ayatollah:

Wasn't the rebrand for him though Liam was it. What he told me was it was everything about modern football. He'd been coming less and less before it.

He'd done it all and was bored and fed up with the way football was going. He'd seen City at Wembley and in the Prem, and been to virtually every league ground.

Yup - It was during the rebrand season though I think Tim? I was no longer attending home games with him so I'm not sure the exact time but I think that was the final nail in the coffin.

He also wanted to spend his money watching Wales :thumbright:
Against Modern Football
CaerphillyBluebird15

Postby Bluebina » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:04 am

Sven wrote:Some pertinent points there, Annis and it's hard to disagree with any of what you write :thumbright:

Something has happened between the 2nd Malky season and the current one and it does appear a lot of previous 'die-hards' have effectively given up (or more likely found other things to do on a match day)

Not just in football but in all walks of life, no matter how regular or loyal they are, if a person stops doing something for more than a short time it becomes difficult to go back and do it again, so the 'habit' breaks

I think that's a lot of what happened here and a lot of very good fans have been lost :cry:

That promotion season which was disappointing after a good start, and the gradual change to modern football has taken the majority of the missing fans!!!
Bluebina

Postby skiprat » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:50 am

You can alienate 1000s due rebrand or whatever but today is 20/2/18.city are second in the league good stadium cheap tickets 1 million people in and around a vibrant capital city and we cant attract a MINIUM of 20000 for every game is shocking.
skiprat

Postby Forever Blue » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:58 am

skiprat wrote:You can alienate 1000s due rebrand or whatever but today is 20/2/18.city are second in the league good stadium cheap tickets 1 million people in and around a vibrant capital city and we cant attract a MINIUM of 20000 for every game is shocking.

Once again, Your spot on :thumbright:

Take away the diehards over the rebrand, City should still of been averaging 20,000 plus this season without a doubt :bluebird:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Leytonstoneblue » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:53 am

paulh_85 wrote:

finally a sensible post on the subject. the club spent years building up the number of season tickets on promises and after the disaster of the premier league that all died away.

Thats a good summation Carl, of the time line of events that resulted in giving us those levels of attendance. However, the one event that has had in my opinion the major effect was the rebrand and all the negativity, bad blood and infighting it brought with it. For many that I have spoken to, it killed a little bit of the passion they felt for the club, even those that carried on going, that episode has changed them and their passion for the club. If you can imagine a world where it never happened and everything else remained the same, then I truly believe that we would have at least 4000 more regular supporters, but that's just my opinion.
5 Live commentary, English Wigan V Welsh Wigan April 2013,
" it's gone a bit quiet with the Wigan fans and there aren't enough Swansea fans to make a noise"
Leytonstoneblue

Postby Bluebeetle » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:44 am

There are those who will attend come what may, and that hardcore is probably as high as it’s ever been, and then there are the floaters who come intermittently or if there’s a ‘big game’ like Man City.
Those floaters need encouragement and pushing to make them come to more and more games until the ‘one off experience’ becomes habit and they change from ‘floaters’ to hardcore.
That’s where the Club’s Marketing comes in and that’s where it is failing badly in my view. We need a lot more publicity and positivity spread throughout South Wales not just posted on FB, Twitter, emails to existing hardcore. No good just preaching to the already converted.
Significant investment in a top Marketing Team and thereafter further investment in selling the match day experience with offers that people know about and other innovative ideas to get the ‘floaters’ through the turnstiles on a regular basis.
Bluebeetle

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:42 am

Leytonstoneblue wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Thats a good summation Carl, of the time line of events that resulted in giving us those levels of attendance. However, the one event that has had in my opinion the major effect was the rebrand and all the negativity, bad blood and infighting it brought with it. For many that I have spoken to, it killed a little bit of the passion they felt for the club, even those that carried on going, that episode has changed them and their passion for the club. If you can imagine a world where it never happened and everything else remained the same, then I truly believe that we would have at least 4000 more regular supporters, but that's just my opinion.

Read what both you and Carl have posted and your 100% The Rebrand was the Killer for many and I have never felt the same either, I can’t firgive or forget it was that bad the 4 yrs of divide. :bluescarf:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Real_Blue_Really » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:08 pm

If I attend this Sunday, it'll be my first ever visit to the CCS. After being a regular at Ninian Park. The rebrand still cuts deep. Seeing that photo of so called city fans holding up a red scarf. f**k me, what we're they thinking?
Anybody know if "The Lone gunman" has returned? 5 of my mates still haven't returned since the rebrand. Diehards. Bad loss
“The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.”
― George Orwell
Real_Blue_Really

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Real_Blue_Really wrote:If I attend this Sunday, it'll be my first ever visit to the CCS. After being a regular at Ninian Park. The rebrand still cuts deep. Seeing that photo of so called city fans holding up a red scarf. f**k me, what we're they thinking?
Anybody know if "The Lone gunman" has returned? 5 of my mates still haven't returned since the rebrand. Diehards. Bad loss

you know we moved to the stadium in 2010 right? in blue?
paulh_85

Postby Real_Blue_Really » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:16 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Real_Blue_Really wrote:If I attend this Sunday, it'll be my first ever visit to the CCS. After being a regular at Ninian Park. The rebrand still cuts deep. Seeing that photo of so called city fans holding up a red scarf. f**k me, what we're they thinking?

I couldn't attend back then. But wasn't that bothered as I loved Ninian Park.
“The most effective way to destroy people is to deny and obliterate their own understanding of their history.”
― George Orwell
Real_Blue_Really

Postby paulh_85 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:19 pm

Real_Blue_Really wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

ok so you lost your love of the club when we moved stadium, not with the rebrand, just double checking :ayatollah:
paulh_85

Postby Real_Blue_Really » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:24 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Real_Blue_Really wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

ok so you lost your love of the club when we moved stadium, not with the rebrand, just double checking :ayatollah:

Nah I couldn't attend. The rebrand done the real damage. Fell out with friends over it.
― George Orwell
Real_Blue_Really

Previous

Return to General Chat