Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Warnock - Premier League

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:50 pm

I rarely post but I am interested in your thoughts. Can Warnock cut it in the premiership ? His team style of physical prowess will not sustain a premiership season which was quite obvious against Man City, they looked like the time bandits next to Morrison, manga and Bamba etc but ran rings around us with methodical passing and thinking 2 passes ahead. If Warnock gets us there, should we stick or twist and try and obtain a Rafa, or even pulis who is proven to keep teams in the prem ?

Re: Warnock - premiership

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 am

He’s already stated that he doesn’t like managing in the Premier League and has doubts about it.

Can’t remember who but someone on here said they if he doesn’t fancy it now then we should get someone else in if we go up. I tend to agree with that - despite the great job he’s done, whatever happens this season.

I would not be shocked if Craig Bellamy gets our job in the near future. Rumours have it that he’s Warnock’s recommended choice.

Re: Warnock - premiership

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:11 am

Bellers brings passion but nowhere near any experience to tactically challenge the likes of pep or mourinho. The first season in the premiership if happens is survival. You can’t gamble with a bellamy, we need tried and tested

Re: Warnock - Premier League

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:45 am

I'd definitely hope that he'd walk at the end of the season. His inability to deal with the best teams was shown up in the City game. I know they're the best team in the league and one of the best teams ever, but the man marking defending was an absolute shambles.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:34 am

IF, and it's a big IF we go up give Warnock a chance if he wants it, he'll deserve it.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:43 am

New manager for me IF we went up.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:05 am

Unreal some fans

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 am

Why are some fans unreal ? - it’s a good debate on a forum for discussion on a topic that potentially could happen to our club. Some good points made so far. What are your thoughts instead of casting judgment on others posts ?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:53 am

Igovernor wrote:Unreal some fans

I agree. How can anyone compare our team to Man City.

Slight difference in squad investment. :laughing6:

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 am

I'd keep him players obviously have hudge respect for him and enjoy playing for him.
Was very unlucky to get relagated with sheffield united think it was by one goal on goal difference plus the Tevez affair. At Qpr they were never in the relagation zone under Warnock despite the fact he was given hardly any money when they went up

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:58 am

I think i would leave the decision up to him. He deserves to make that choice if we get there.
Go into retirement with a promotion instead of a relegation battle and maybe become director of football or something watching over a young manager

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:37 am

He does'nt seem to enjoy the Prem he loves the cut and thrust of the championship with honest hardworking lads,but if he got us there must be give the chance if he want's to stay in my opinion.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:39 am

i mentioned about replacing him even though hes been fantastic for us,

i did mention mark hughes, not someone i like but a good pedigree in the prem. the more i think about it though... i enjoy warnocks enthusiasm for the game, which hughes just doesnt have. id like any potential replacement to have that side of things.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:41 am

Comparing us to Man City seems to be a bit of an odd one. We are a Championship side put together fairly cheaply. Warnock has put together a team specifically to compete in the Championship, and hopefully a team good enough to be able to get us promoted. We know different qualities are required to compete at our current level to the Premiership. Warnock has put together Championship quality players to compete in the Championship, not the Premier League.

The fact we could not compete against Man City is irrelevant. If we are fortunate enough to gain promotion, I am confident Warnock (if he chose to stay) would assemble a team to compete in the Premier League in the same way he assembled a team to compete in the Championship. Even then, it is unlikely that we would be serious competition to the likes of Man City and the other elite PL sides.

All a bit confusing on here. We have posters stating Warnock may be our best ever manager, and others who would be happy to see him go in May. If he takes us up, surely he will have earned the chance to see what he can do next season. We are unlikely to get anyone with his experience, that's for sure.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:58 am

I think Warnock is starting to think about his retirement, he is past 69 and still has the the buz but the ideal situation would be invite him to move upstairs as a mentor, advisor and supporter to Craig. Craig is already part of the backroom set up and that way the experience and knowledge held by Neil is there together with the drive and passion and young thinking. Now that would be my dream team. :occasion5:

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 am

Whistler wrote:I think Warnock is starting to think about his retirement, he is past 69 and still has the the buz but the ideal situation would be invite him to move upstairs as a mentor, advisor and supporter to Craig. Craig is already part of the backroom set up and that way the experience and knowledge held by Neil is there together with the drive and passion and young thinking. Now that would be my dream team. :occasion5:

I think you are right, he must be considering retirement before too long. It would be great if he could get us promoted, and even better if he was able to spend one final season keeping us in the top flight, and then going out at the very top. That would be a fitting way to end a long and mainly successful career. It's all guesswork though, a long way to go this season yet, and only Warnock knows what he wants to do when this season ends. He's done well for us whatever happens over the next few months.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:22 am

Warnock will get the opportunity , if he wants it.

If he doesn't want it then yes, you look for a Pulis.

If he wants it and doesn't keep it then i'll never watch Cardiff again... simple as.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:50 am

It should be Warnocks decision. Nobody else.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:42 pm

Warnocks style of football is for championship or lower,I don't think our current style of play would keep us in the premier league

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:09 pm

I don't know why but I get the impression Warnock will stay in charge if we don't go up and have one last go.

However if we go up I wouldn't be surprised if he steps aside and perhaps just becomes a director of football for the first 6 months to bed in the new guy.

Not sure if I'd want anyone else but would be happy to see Blackwell or Jepson take over.