" SEAN MORRISON TURNED DOWN LONGER CONTRACT & MORE MONEY "

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:53 am

The truth about Sheffield Wednesday's £5m bid for Sean Morrison and the conversation that reveals so much about Cardiff City's captain -

Wednesday 21st February 2018

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock has revealed just how close in-form captain Sean Morrison came to joining Sheffield Wednesday in the summer.

The player himself insisted after the win over Middlesbrough - a victory that saw him score the only goal of the game - that he preferred keeping clean sheets to scoring goals, a statement that has left his gaffer nodding in approval.

"He (Morrison) doesn’t get carried away, they (Ipswich) have Garner, Waghorn and good forward-thinking players so it will be a good test for the back lads at Ipswich."

Morrison has undoubtedly proved his early-season nay-sayers emphatically wrong this season, but Warnock insists he never had any doubts over towering defender's credentials as a leader for his high-flying side, particularly after the 26-year-old's impassioned vow to stay at the club back in the summer.

Much has been made about Wednesday's unsuccessful bid of £3 million for the centre-back, but Warnock has revealed the Owls then returned with another improved bid to get their man, adding that it would have proved a successful pursuit were it not for Morrison's desire to be part of "something special" in the Welsh capital.

Warnock said: "I thought he would go to Sheffield Wednesday, especially when they upped the price to £5 million or something like that.

"I said to him, you’ll get a lot more money than here and a longer contract, I said I don’t want you to go but I can’t stop you going.

"He came to me and just said, ‘I think we have something special here gaffer, I’d like to stay if it’s alright with you’. I said, ‘it’s alright with me son, yeah.’.

"That was at the start of the season and I think a lot of players would have gone, if I’m honest, chased the money.

"I didn’t recommend Sheffield Wednesday to him, being a United-ite, but I didn’t stand in his way and I thought that was a crucial time.

"When he said “I’m captain and I think we have something special coming on here”, I thought that was special and that’s why I’ve supported him because not just on the field of play, there’s a lot that goes off the field as well and Sean is right on top of that."

Morrison's passion is undoubtedly a key reason for Cardiff's recent defensive success, although Warnock is keen to ensure that every member of his defence receives a solid level of praise, although he insists there is plenty of work still to do.

When asked if this was the best defence he's ever managed, Warnock replied: "It is at the moment but I’m 69 and I can’t remember half of them!

"Even right at the start, my first success at Scarborough, we had a real solid situation there and I signed Kevin Blackwell within a couple of months and that got us promotion.

"I went to Notts County and we had Craig Short and Dean Yates, people like that - you don’t get promotion without a good defence - impossible..

"Is it good enough? I’ll tell you in 14 games because they will have to play out of their skin to keep us up where we want to be."
Attachments
Cardiff-City-v-Middlesbrough-Sky-Bet-Championship-Cardiff-City-Stadium.jpg
Cardiff-City-v-Middlesbrough-Sky-Bet-Championship-Cardiff-City-Stadium.jpg (84.25 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: " SEAN MORRISON TURNED DOWN LONGER CONTRACT & MORE MONEY

Postby thomasblue » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 am

Morrison has improved massively this season. He really seams to have grown into his role as captain.

But if morrison had that decision to make does that mean the bid was accepted ?
thomasblue

Postby HARRYccfc1927 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 am

ive always thought he was shit and no use, last 2 months proved me why he is probs on of the best in the league and a goal scoring machine :lol: :bluescarf:
CCFC OK
HARRYccfc1927

Postby pembroke allan » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:11 am

thomasblue wrote:Morrison has improved massively this season. He really seams to have grown into his role as captain.

But if morrison had that decision to make does that mean the bid was accepted ?

You suspect yes 5m was an offer no club would refuse ! But shows the hyarchy have faith in NW and happy to back him. :old:
pembroke allan

Postby boyo1927 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:14 am

My player of the year so far..... Most consistent and losing 4 games in a row without him just proved his importance.
boyo1927

Postby Bluebird Warrior » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:53 pm

boyo1927 wrote:My player of the year so far..... Most consistent and losing 4 games in a row without him just proved his importance.

For me player of the year is a 4 way between Morrison, Hoilett, Ralls and Bamba. my top 2 would be Morrison and Hoilett who have both been outstanding this season.
Bluebird Warrior

Postby Sven » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Player of the year for me to date and we'd miss him badly if he wasn't here! :notworthy:

A few words surely eaten by quite a few on here after comments made early season! ;)

A win tonight will give a huge boost to the team and another clean sheet would prove the value of our outstanding defence on the whole! :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby Wayne S » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:18 pm

How is that not a foul. :lol:
Wayne S

Postby maccydee » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:01 pm

Sven wrote:Player of the year for me to date and we'd miss him badly if he wasn't here! :notworthy:

A few words surely eaten by quite a few on here after comments made early season! ;)

A win tonight will give a huge boost to the team and another clean sheet would prove the value of our outstanding defence on the whole! :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

He was missed a lot during Christmas. No coincidence his return co-incited with a return to form.
maccydee

Return to General Chat