Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How Would Guardiola Do If He Managed Cardiff.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Warnock has built a team challenging for promotion, and has not had a great deal of money to spend compared to some of the bigger clubs in our division.

I was curious as to how Guardiola would do if he was our manager and had to work with the same lack of cash that Warnock has to work with. It must be a lot easier when you have a bottomless pit of money at your disposal, and can virtually go out and buy whoever you want while offering gigantic salaries at the same time.

I know some fans have suggested Warnock might not be the man to keep us in the Premier League if we actually get there. Given the amount of money we will probably be spending on new players, and the sort of wages we will be able to offer, how many managers are out there who will offer more to us than Warnock? We are almost certainly going to be down the lower end of the table as far as finances are concerned, and when I look at some of the smaller PL clubs right now, I am not sure I would swap their managers for ours.

A manager who is successful when he has unlimited funds available might find things a lot tougher at the likes of Cardiff, Preston, Sheff Utd etc.

Re: How Would Guardiola Do If He Managed Cardiff.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:40 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:Warnock has built a team challenging for promotion, and has not had a great deal of money to spend compared to some of the bigger clubs in our division.

I was curious as to how Guardiola would do if he was our manager and had to work with the same lack of cash that Warnock has to work with. It must be a lot easier when you have a bottomless pit of money at your disposal, and can virtually go out and buy whoever you want while offering gigantic salaries at the same time.

I know some fans have suggested Warnock might not be the man to keep us in the Premier League if we actually get there. Given the amount of money we will probably be spending on new players, and the sort of wages we will be able to offer, how many managers are out there who will offer more to us than Warnock? We are almost certainly going to be down the lower end of the table as far as finances are concerned, and when I look at some of the smaller PL clubs right now, I am not sure I would swap their managers for ours.

A manager who is successful when he has unlimited funds available might find things a lot tougher at the likes of Cardiff, Preston, Sheff Utd etc.

the obvious one for me me is Hughes, though i dont like him.

as for Pep, he would get us promoted no doubt. for starters players would be falling over themselves to play in one of his teams so signing quality wouldnt be difficult for him

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:Warnock has built a team challenging for promotion, and has not had a great deal of money to spend compared to some of the bigger clubs in our division.

as for Pep, he would get us promoted no doubt. for starters players would be falling over themselves to play in one of his teams so signing quality wouldnt be difficult for him

I think he means profile aside - If he was unknown then how would he do.
Not very well IMO
Warnock is a god. :ayatollah:

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:05 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Not very well IMO

Yes, that is what I meant although probably did not explain myself very well. I am just curious as to how much better people like Mourinho and Guardiola are than Warnock. Obviously, Warnock has a great deal of experience, particularly at this level. He has never had the money that the managers of the big clubs have had.

I think some of the success has to be about being in the right place at the right time, and then hopefully having bucket loads of cash to spend. If the names mentioned above were not household names in the football world, could they do any better than Warnock has done this season with the same limited funds?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:23 pm

I suppose perhaps the closest comparison would be Rafa Benitez.

He has managed Champions League winning teams but now finds himself managing a "big" club but with hardly any resources to spend on players and he's struggling.

I think that with a lesser manager than Rafa Newcastle would be in real trouble so he is obviously a very good manager but he is proof that without the world class players to coach that Mourinho, Guardiola and the other top managers have then he can only get so far.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Not very well IMO

Yes, that is what I meant although probably did not explain myself very well. I am just curious as to how much better people like Mourinho and Guardiola are than Warnock. Obviously, Warnock has a great deal of experience, particularly at this level. He has never had the money that the managers of the big clubs have had.

I think some of the success has to be about being in the right place at the right time, and then hopefully having bucket loads of cash to spend. If the names mentioned above were not household names in the football world, could they do any better than Warnock has done this season with the same limited funds?

Honestly - I think not. These are high profile managers who were known by big clubs.
I think Pep managed Barca B ( would've had brilliant players )
Zidane is a great example - well respected and walked into the real job.
I think you or myself could do a decent job at Barca, Man city, PSG - It isn't difficult if the players are world class and want to play for you.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:35 pm

I know some fans on this forum are not convinced that Warnock would be right for us if we were to be promoted. When you look at the PL teams from 10th place down to 20th, how many of those managers would be able to do a better job than Warnock if we joined them in the top flight? I don't believe they are all superior to Warnock, and some will obviously keep their teams in the Pl this season. That is the reason why I disagree with those who would like to see Warnock replaced if we go up. I think providing he wants the job, he should be given the opportunity of staying on whichever division we are in next season. We may end up bottom of the PL again, but that does not mean we have the poorest manager. A lot will depend on money, wages, and attracting players to S Wales. Personally, I would like to see him stay on next season.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I know some fans on this forum are not convinced that Warnock would be right for us if we were to be promoted. When you look at the PL teams from 10th place down to 20th, how many of those managers would be able to do a better job than Warnock if we joined them in the top flight? I don't believe they are all superior to Warnock, and some will obviously keep their teams in the Pl this season. That is the reason why I disagree with those who would like to see Warnock replaced if we go up. I think providing he wants the job, he should be given the opportunity of staying on whichever division we are in next season. We may end up bottom of the PL again, but that does not mean we have the poorest manager. A lot will depend on money, wages, and attracting players to S Wales. Personally, I would like to see him stay on next season.

Some people are clowns.
Some people saying replace him with Bellamy - imagine that :laughing6:
Warnock is 100% the right man IMO

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:34 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I know some fans on this forum are not convinced that Warnock would be right for us if we were to be promoted. When you look at the PL teams from 10th place down to 20th, how many of those managers would be able to do a better job than Warnock if we joined them in the top flight? I don't believe they are all superior to Warnock, and some will obviously keep their teams in the Pl this season. That is the reason why I disagree with those who would like to see Warnock replaced if we go up. I think providing he wants the job, he should be given the opportunity of staying on whichever division we are in next season. We may end up bottom of the PL again, but that does not mean we have the poorest manager. A lot will depend on money, wages, and attracting players to S Wales. Personally, I would like to see him stay on next season.

Some people are clowns.

I find that a strange one as well. Replace one of the most experienced managers in the British game with someone who has nil experience other than as a development coach. Not sure about Pullis either, especially as Warnock has a much better win ratio as a manager than Pullis.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:09 pm

Guardiola improves players. No doubt about that. But quite clearly Warnock also improves players.

I think the difference would be that the players we could sign with Guardiola would be a higher quality. Providing he had the money to sign them of course.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Some people are clowns.

Remember Christmas and people talking about replacing NW?

100% right. Clowns.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:55 pm

maccydee wrote:

Some people are clowns.

100% right. Clowns.

Remember it well. I wonder how many of those would still like him replaced. Fans seem to forget that a season lasts 46 games, not twenty or so. Nothing guaranteed yet, still plenty of points to play for. Plenty of twists and turns left I'm sure, but I would'nt bet against us reaching the play offs as things stand.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:30 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Some people are clowns.

100% right. Clowns.

Remember it well. I wonder how many of those would still like him replaced. Fans seem to forget that a season lasts 46 games, not twenty or so. Nothing guaranteed yet, still plenty of points to play for. Plenty of twists and turns left I'm sure, but I would'nt bet against us reaching the play offs as things stand.

Playoffs are defo on. I’m just glad we are safe from relegation. Aren’t we?

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:56 am

maccydee wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Some people are clowns.

100% right. Clowns.

I think a win against Bristol would just about guarantee a play off spot. Can't see us collapsing in spectacular style now, but nothing should really surprise anyone in this division. If we can win this weekend, it would take something worse than our December form for us to fail to secure a play off place.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:25 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Some people are clowns.

100% right. Clowns.

I think a win against Bristol would just about guarantee a play off spot. Can't see us collapsing in spectacular style now, but nothing should really surprise anyone in this division. If we can win this weekend, it would take something worse than our December form for us to fail to secure a play off place.

I haven't even thought of the play offs - I cant bare it after that Blackpool loss :shock:
2nd place please :laughing6: