" CARDIFF CITY'S POOR CROWDS INVESTIGATED " THE FACTS

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: " CARDIFF CITY'S POOR CROWDS INVESTIGATED " THE FACTS

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:22 pm

steve davies wrote:

I know the rebrand gets bandied about all the time but the support was there during the premiership and would have stayed if we had not got relegated regardless of colour.
i know quite a few lads who i went away with for years who had little spare cash and bought their tickets home and away for years on a thursday or friday after they had been paid. those people never had a chance of seeing us in the premiership as they could not afford season tickets and in reality the club dident care less about them as they knew they would be replaced by new fans.
very few of those original fans go now and another point that shouldent be ignored is that during the premiership year this forum run 2 maybe 3 coaches to the away games through the travel club despite the fact we were in red.
once we got relegated and even turned back to blue the numbers went down so badly that they could barely muster a coachload for games. what happened to those fans?
The truth is we are a fickle fan base and ive been going since 1966 (stopped two years ago) and have seen us have huge crowds at home one week ( hereford) and a crowd a third of the size for the following home match. its always been the same with away games as well.
If we stay second over the next month the crowds will grow to late 20k for games if we have a slump they will drop back to 20k and if we reach wembley through the play offs we will be able to sell 50k if allowed.
we are just a fickle fan base who pick and choose what games they want to see manchester city proved that

Good point regarding the coaches from this forum Steve, yes it ran to most away games 3 coaches in the Prem & the going up season.
Until 18months ago it still ran 1-2 coaches, but due to very sad personal circumstances for Carl, he had to quit and hardly comes on here as well.
But during all those years every fan was Blue, No Red on the coaches :lol: :bluescarf:

Your right about some of the City fans who after we got relegated have not bothered due to how it was in the Premier League cost etc, I know a few as well as they believe City showed No loyalty and money first.
For away games fans like Carl and Vince had to pay all monies upfront to our club one month in advance costing thousands.
Vince even had ago at the club for it.

Yet in the final months once we were going down they went back to like it was in previous years :roll:

Also fans can easily get out of the habit of going week in week out after the rebrand/discontent/ poor managers etc.

We had the support once we went up and we will get it again Steve as thousands of them who only appear for Premiership football, more the opposition than Cardiff, as if it was Cardiff first they would be there now :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby boyo1927 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
steve davies wrote:

I know the rebrand gets bandied about all the time but the support was there during the premiership and would have stayed if we had not got relegated regardless of colour.
i know quite a few lads who i went away with for years who had little spare cash and bought their tickets home and away for years on a thursday or friday after they had been paid. those people never had a chance of seeing us in the premiership as they could not afford season tickets and in reality the club dident care less about them as they knew they would be replaced by new fans.
very few of those original fans go now and another point that shouldent be ignored is that during the premiership year this forum run 2 maybe 3 coaches to the away games through the travel club despite the fact we were in red.
once we got relegated and even turned back to blue the numbers went down so badly that they could barely muster a coachload for games. what happened to those fans?
The truth is we are a fickle fan base and ive been going since 1966 (stopped two years ago) and have seen us have huge crowds at home one week ( hereford) and a crowd a third of the size for the following home match. its always been the same with away games as well.
If we stay second over the next month the crowds will grow to late 20k for games if we have a slump they will drop back to 20k and if we reach wembley through the play offs we will be able to sell 50k if allowed.
we are just a fickle fan base who pick and choose what games they want to see manchester city proved that

Good point regarding the coaches from this forum Steve, yes it ran to most away games 3 coaches in the Prem & the going up season.
Until 18months ago it still ran 1-2 coaches, but due to very sad personal circumstances for Carl, he had to quit and hardly comes on here as well.
But during all those years every fan was Blue, No Red on the coaches :lol: :bluescarf:

Your right about some of the City fans who after we got relegated have not bothered due to how it was in the Premier League cost etc, I know a few as well as they believe City showed No loyalty and money first.
For away games fans like Carl and Vince had to pay all monies upfront to our club one month in advance costing thousands.

Yet in the final months once we were going down they went back to like it was in previous years :roll:

We had the support once we went up and we will get it again Steve as thousands of them who only appear for Premiership football, more the opposition than Cardiff, as if it was Cardiff first they would be there now :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluebird:

Said many times we have a huge following of "other" premiership teams. Liverpool and Man United are massively supported above Cardiff. Even most people who I know support Cardiff have another premiership such as these too. My generation did not support Cardiff much in early 1990s and now they are all grown up they pass down support of man u and Liverpool to their kids. Sustained premiership football can change this but will take many years.
boyo1927

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:56 pm

boyo1927 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:
steve davies wrote:

Said many times we have a huge following of "other" premiership teams. Liverpool and Man United are massively supported above Cardiff. Even most people who I know support Cardiff have another premiership such as these too. My generation did not support Cardiff much in early 1990s and now they are all grown up they pass down support of man u and Liverpool to their kids. Sustained premiership football can change this but will take many years.

Sadly a lot of truth there.

And that’s why those football fans only turn up to our very big games.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Leytonstoneblue » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:09 pm

I have always thought, what the feck do football fans in Cardiff do on a Saturday?? It just astonishes me that even with all the excuses of the re-brand etc, we cannot muster 26000 supporters out of such a large catchment area, the Welsh love their sport, they don't go to club rugby games, there's not a particularly large parks football scene,that they are all playing in, so what the feck do they do ?? :roll: :roll:
5 Live commentary, English Wigan V Welsh Wigan April 2013,
" it's gone a bit quiet with the Wigan fans and there aren't enough Swansea fans to make a noise"
Leytonstoneblue

Postby neilst » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:14 pm

Change either the away fans next to canton or swap canton with family end
neilst

Postby pembroke allan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Good indicator would be how the teams above us in crowd league have fared last 5 yrs or so ? As far as I can see we're about right considering the size of club taking into account size of teams above us all historically have bigger crowds than us! Yes maybe should have more because of where we are in league but doubt we will until last 3 games of season.
pembroke allan

Postby CCFCJosh75 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:48 pm

It'd be useful to see what home averages are without away fans included.
CCFCJosh75

Postby pezza4646 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:22 pm

I agree with that Johnson fit...NO ATMOSPHERE in the Ground...only in the Canton end..Minoan Stand, stewards are Hitler's, even when you stand up to give Banter, they on your back...also when game is in a certain area of pitch...you cannot see, so you need to stand up,...For me the set up of the ground is wrong ..yeh it cost money to swap family end with canton...But 100% Atmosphere will go up....Rant over and get behind the boys...no matter what type of can you are :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: the
pezza4646

Postby pezza4646 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:25 pm

pezza4646 wrote:I agree with that Johnson fit...NO ATMOSPHERE in the Ground...only in the Canton end..Minoan Stand, stewards are Hitler's, even when you stand up to give Banter, they on your back...also when game is in a certain area of pitch...you cannot see, so you need to stand up,...For me the set up of the ground is wrong ..yeh it cost money to swap family end with canton...But 100% Atmosphere will go up....Rant over and get behind the boys...no matter what type of can you are :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: the

Bloody spell check
pezza4646

Postby worcester_ccfc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:50 pm

Forever Blue wrote:THE MAN WHO BUILT THE STADIUM (Peter Ridsdale, former Cardiff chairman)

Michael Chopra cries tears of joy with chairman Peter Ridsdale after the penalty win against Leicester in the play-off semi final
Peter Ridsdale and Michael Chopra after the after the penalty shoot-out play-off win against Leicester
"When I first put forward a predicted 18,000 attendance for the new stadium, some people thought I had been smoking pot!

"Remember, Cardiff City gates used to be right down. Deloitte weren't convinced it was a football city.

"But we went out and engaged with the community, explained they could be part of something.

"A lot of things went our way, the FA Cup Final, the new stadium factor. But we also had to work hard at it. I was there at 7am until midnight at times.

"I'm not convinced the decision to increase the capacity by 8,000 was wise. Previously there was a feeling you had to buy a season ticket to ensure you could get in. Suddenly, with the extra seats, fans may feel it's easier to get their hands on one, can pick and choose games.

"We had a policy to lock in loyalty, make season ticket holders feel a part of it.

"The rebrand obviously lost goodwill amongst many fans. To be fair, Vincent has reversed that decision, but it appears something radical has to change to get the goodwill and the misisng fans back.

"The Premier League could be that. Neil Warnock is doing an outstanding job, but there has to be a vision for the future too."

Say what you like about Ridsdale, but I think he’s spot on here.
Vote for your Man of the Match on this forum after every Cardiff City match :ayatollah:

Season ticket holder in Canton 107 :bluebird:

@neddthomas on Twitter.

:bluescarf:
worcester_ccfc

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:06 am

pezza4646 wrote:I agree with that Johnson fit...NO ATMOSPHERE in the Ground...only in the Canton end..Minoan Stand, stewards are Hitler's, even when you stand up to give Banter, they on your back...also when game is in a certain area of pitch...you cannot see, so you need to stand up,...For me the set up of the ground is wrong ..yeh it cost money to swap family end with canton...But 100% Atmosphere will go up....Rant over and get behind the boys...no matter what type of can you are :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluescarf: :bluescarf: the

Atmosphere will go up at one end of ground? If you were there last game atmosphere was good all around ground it's the game that makes atmosphere and the excitement not where people sit or stand :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby RV Casual » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:31 am

Yeah but he needs to worry about his own supporters before any others, as stated above they only had 21,000 against us with 3200 away fans and the atmosphere was shit.

Apart from about 5-6 youngsters to the left and a block waving flags at the other end of the ground hardly hered a peep out of them at Ashton Gate.
RV Casual

Postby rossblue » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:14 am

iv only been following since the end of last season and only going to games this season (Bristol will be my 9th) :bluescarf: but id say that the problem with the crowd numbers is culture and that wale is a rugby country. look at swanseas and wrexhams crowd numbers. especially Swansea before they were premier league. there is no need to concern ourselves with the crowd numbers. we are what we are. a little big club with decent potential due to the catchment area. :ayatollah:
rossblue

Postby Sven » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:42 am

worcester_ccfc wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:THE MAN WHO BUILT THE STADIUM (Peter Ridsdale, former Cardiff chairman)

Michael Chopra cries tears of joy with chairman Peter Ridsdale after the penalty win against Leicester in the play-off semi final
Peter Ridsdale and Michael Chopra after the after the penalty shoot-out play-off win against Leicester
"When I first put forward a predicted 18,000 attendance for the new stadium, some people thought I had been smoking pot!

"Remember, Cardiff City gates used to be right down. Deloitte weren't convinced it was a football city.

"But we went out and engaged with the community, explained they could be part of something.

"A lot of things went our way, the FA Cup Final, the new stadium factor. But we also had to work hard at it. I was there at 7am until midnight at times.

"I'm not convinced the decision to increase the capacity by 8,000 was wise. Previously there was a feeling you had to buy a season ticket to ensure you could get in. Suddenly, with the extra seats, fans may feel it's easier to get their hands on one, can pick and choose games.

"We had a policy to lock in loyalty, make season ticket holders feel a part of it.

"The rebrand obviously lost goodwill amongst many fans. To be fair, Vincent has reversed that decision, but it appears something radical has to change to get the goodwill and the misisng fans back.

"The Premier League could be that. Neil Warnock is doing an outstanding job, but there has to be a vision for the future too."

Say what you like about Ridsdale, but I think he’s spot on here.

Hard not to agree, Ned :thumbup:

Like or loathe the man, he got some things right and wouldn't have changed the colour in the first place! ;) :ayatollah:
"If you think what I say is 'offensive' to you, you should hear what I keep to myself...!"
Sven

Postby ae15 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:53 am

rossblue wrote:iv only been following since the end of last season and only going to games this season (Bristol will be my 9th) :bluescarf: but id say that the problem with the crowd numbers is culture and that wale is a rugby country. look at swanseas and wrexhams crowd numbers. especially Swansea before they were premier league. there is no need to concern ourselves with the crowd numbers. we are what we are. a little big club with decent potential due to the catchment area. :ayatollah:

We're not a rugby country, a common misconception about Wales. Club football is far more supported than club rugby. People go to rugby for the event, not for the sport. This is coming from a big rugby fan.
ae15

Postby ae15 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:03 am

The reason for the lack of crowds is because people don't feel a connection to the club anymore. We have 1 Welsh player and no Welsh academy players coming through into the first team regularly. We don't have any long standing players anymore. Our squad is packed full of journeymen (not a criticism of the team).

The team no longer represents the area at all.

The lack of crowds has absolutely nothing to do with the rebrand. The only things left connected with that are Vincent Tan and the Ninian extension. We had our biggest crowds in red.

Another large reason is because the thrill of the chase for the PL is no longer as much of a thing. We've done it before and there's not as much excitement this time round.

We've also not been playing too great a football at times, especially when we've been on TV (Preston was a terrible reflection of our style of football).
ae15

Postby rossblue » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:55 am

ae15 wrote:
rossblue wrote:iv only been following since the end of last season and only going to games this season (Bristol will be my 9th) :bluescarf: but id say that the problem with the crowd numbers is culture and that wale is a rugby country. look at swanseas and wrexhams crowd numbers. especially Swansea before they were premier league. there is no need to concern ourselves with the crowd numbers. we are what we are. a little big club with decent potential due to the catchment area. :ayatollah:

We're not a rugby country, a common misconception about Wales. Club football is far more supported than club rugby. People go to rugby for the event, not for the sport. This is coming from a big rugby fan.

I would say that walking around Cardiff and Newport as I have done, iv seen more welsh rugby shirts than I have Cardiff or Newport tops. I know its not a 100% indicator but still
rossblue

Postby 2blue2handle » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:10 am

I wonder how much of an affect Wales doing well has. I think some people now prefer to follow Wales, home and away we seem to have more than ever, we took thousand upon thousand to France, i bet some are still paying off that trip :lol: it doesn't mean those people are not fans of Cardiff but prioritise Wales games and then pick and chose the Cardiff games. If your going to pick and chose games you will pick £5 for Leeds or seeing Manchester City in the cup.
I don't think that accounts for a huge percentage of fans but certainly some I know.
2blue2handle

Postby Mike Strinati » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 am

This has been done to death now. We all know that if premiership football arrives next season the stadium will be full week in week out.
Mike Strinati

Postby Jimbo27 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:33 am

I think the rebrand plays a large part of it but the malaise was only furthered by the disastrous year in the premier league, with yet more focus on off field issues than on, then compounded by the totally uninspiring appointment of Slade. It just seemed like one disaster after another, and while we as a club should be use to this, for the first time such issues turned Cardiff fans against each other and made the atmosphere poisonous. I know quite a few boys who went home and away for years but stopped going after all of this and won't go back. If we make the premier league we will sell out but it will take a good few years to really rebuild the loyal fan base again.
Adopted player for 2014/15 Lee Peltier
Jimbo27

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:51 am

Rob Phillips‏
@robphillipshere
Re. @CardiffCityFC crowds. Big turnout deserved on Sunday v @bcfctweets. IMO crowds figures hit by hangover from rebrand (ie lost habit of going) :bluescarf:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Escott1927 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:56 am

You’ve got people who stay away because of the shit we took during the rebrand and then the painful football we had to watch after relegation, and then you’ve got people who stay away because the atmosphere is piss poor now, even with the ‘big’ teams coming down its still not great. Catch 22 really, crowds are poor because of the atmosphere-atmosphere is poor because of the crowd.

Regardless of who we were playing at Ninian Park people would go down because it was a good crack. Whether people like it or not the ‘banter’ with the away fans was a big part of the experience. Even Warnock said that’s what’s footballs about in his recent interview. That’s been completely taken out of the game now. And again, whether people like it or not, giving the away fans abuse does produce an atmosphere which has a knock on affect around the ground.

When you don’t enjoy something you will prioritise other commitements, when you enjoy something you are willing to sacrifice your time. Paying to Sit down to watch a game of football in a half empty stadium just doesnt have that pull factor to get people down there.
Escott1927

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:57 am

Escott1927 wrote:You’ve got people who stay away because of the shit we took during the rebrand and then the painful football we had to watch after relegation, and then you’ve got people who stay away because the atmosphere is piss poor now, even with the ‘big’ teams coming down its still not great. Catch 22 really, crowds are poor because of the atmosphere-atmosphere is poor because of the crowd.

Regardless of who we were playing at Ninian Park people would go down because it was a good crack. Whether people like it or not the ‘banter’ with the away fans was a big part of the experience. Even Warnock said that’s what’s footballs about in his recent interview. That’s been completely taken out of the game now. And again, whether people like it or not, giving the away fans abuse does produce an atmosphere which has a knock on affect around the ground.

When you don’t enjoy something you will prioritise other commitements, when you enjoy something you are willing to sacrifice your time. Paying to Sit down to watch a game of football in a half empty stadium just doesnt have that pull factor to get people down there.

A lot of truth :thumbright: :bluebird: :bluescarf:

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby Forever Blue » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:01 am

Jimbo27 wrote:I think the rebrand plays a large part of it but the malaise was only furthered by the disastrous year in the premier league, with yet more focus on off field issues than on, then compounded by the totally uninspiring appointment of Slade. It just seemed like one disaster after another, and while we as a club should be use to this, for the first time such issues turned Cardiff fans against each other and made the atmosphere poisonous. I know quite a few boys who went home and away for years but stopped going after all of this and won't go back. If we make the premier league we will sell out but it will take a good few years to really rebuild the loyal fan base again.

James, many diehards were so dissilussoned by those few years of discontent and the club turned a blind eye to the divide/infighting that happened, but it hurt fans very much and many won't forgive and many have moved on and so just go now and again.

They need to get up this season and stay up in the Premier League for many years to come.

Forever Blue
Admin

Postby neilst » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:13 am

1.I think it will improve fanily stand attendance by moving either them or away fans as ive sat in famuly stand a few times just so my boys could have pre match games. But the abuse that is thrown at fanily stand is no good for kids 2. Atmosphere wise by doing this wheneva they sing our fans would out power them as whoever said atomsphere in ground is good is full of shit been season ticket holder for years in ninian 116 and the last time i remember it good there was promotion season apart from premier league when big teams.
neilst

Postby boyo1927 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:47 am

ae15 wrote:

100 percent right. Media try and make put that we are rugby but facts are more people Play and watch football. Most of the people at Wales games are corporate or people who don't know the rules of rugby union
boyo1927

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:27 am

neilst wrote:1.I think it will improve fanily stand attendance by moving either them or away fans as ive sat in famuly stand a few times just so my boys could have pre match games. But the abuse that is thrown at fanily stand is no good for kids 2. Atmosphere wise by doing this wheneva they sing our fans would out power them as whoever said atomsphere in ground is good is full of shit been season ticket holder for years in ninian 116 and the last time i remember it good there was promotion season apart from premier league when big teams.

So all you do if move family stand to say canton end is to have a graveyard there or wherever you choose to put it will be same! At end of day people knew where away end was when stadium was being built so was upto them to go in Ninian stand but chose canton stand so who's fault is that? :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby boyo1927 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:34 am

pembroke allan wrote:
neilst wrote:1.I think it will improve fanily stand attendance by moving either them or away fans as ive sat in famuly stand a few times just so my boys could have pre match games. But the abuse that is thrown at fanily stand is no good for kids 2. Atmosphere wise by doing this wheneva they sing our fans would out power them as whoever said atomsphere in ground is good is full of shit been season ticket holder for years in ninian 116 and the last time i remember it good there was promotion season apart from premier league when big teams.

So all you do if move family stand to say canton end is to have a graveyard there or wherever you choose to put it will be same! At end of day people knew where away end was when stadium was being built so was upto them to go in Ninian stand but chose canton stand so who's fault is that? :thumbup:

Not quite true we got season tickets in block 117. I much enjoyed that season but each week got worse to club clamping down in standing. The club threatened to remove season tickets for persistence and advised to move to canton for standing and ultimately singing section. Our club basically didn't want any threat of violence in our new shiny stadium.

The atmosphere would be much better with canton next to away fans. This is a fact for sure.
boyo1927

Postby pembroke allan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:41 am

boyo1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Not quite true we got season tickets in block 117. I much enjoyed that season but each week got worse to club clamping down in standing. The club threatened to remove season tickets for persistence and advised to move to canton for standing and ultimately singing section. Our club basically didn't want any threat of violence in our new shiny stadium.

The atmosphere would be much better with canton next to away fans. This is a fact for sure.

You could be right but then you leave other parts stadium with no atmosphere! I sit halfway line on level 4 and tbh atmosphere sounds lot better around ground than at pitch level, other point is what kind atmosphere would there be with 4k city fans next to 500 away fans? Because we get a lot of low away attendance's ? Just think people make to much of away fans next to home fans, I'm
Sure other grounds have great atmosphere with few away fans and not next to home fans why is that? :thumbup:
pembroke allan

Postby boyo1927 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 am

pembroke allan wrote:
boyo1927 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
neilst wrote:1.I think it will improve family stand attendance by moving either them or away fans as ive sat in famuly stand a few times just so my boys could have pre match games. But the abuse that is thrown at fanily stand is no good for kids 2. Atmosphere wise by doing this wheneva they sing our fans would out power them as whoever said atomsphere in ground is good is full of shit been season ticket holder for years in ninian 116 and the last time i remember it good there was promotion season apart from premier league when big teams.

You could be right but then you leave other parts stadium with no atmosphere! I sit halfway line on level 4 and tbh atmosphere sounds lot better around ground than at pitch level, other point is what kind atmosphere would there be with 4k city fans next to 500 away fans? Because we get a lot of low away attendance's ? Just think people make to much of away fans next to home fans, I'm
Sure other grounds have great atmosphere with few away fans and not next to home fans why is that? :thumbup:

I simply base it on my own experience from ninian being in Grange end next to away fans, also lower grandstand and block a when block A would get a chant going the bob bank would join in too.

Same for when we were in block 117. The stadium at times gets going but I cannot hear the away froms from canton end even when they bring loads. Same for away fans they don't hear canton.

Personally I don't like the drum but that's the usual method to start songs off. Rare now to get good old skool or new songs going with a banging drum constant. Next to away fans a Drum is not needed as even a few hundred away fans can get good song banter going.

For me watching city as a youngster the banter between home and away fans was a big selling point and enjoyment of going to the games.

Do many other teams have they singing section next to away fans. Trouble is no longer an issue as it once was!
boyo1927

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat