Debunking the 4000 fans lost due to rebrand theory (updated)

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Debunking the 4000 fans lost due to rebrand theory (upda

Postby Furte boy » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:23 pm

We must have lost some supporters due to the rebrand, but, I honestly don’t Care, if they didn’t return after we went back to blue, then they obviously have moved on from supporting the club, why they bother posting on here is beyond me. Tan, The Board and even NW are transitory but the club endures, stop thinking about who we lost and start thinking about attracting the next generation and I suspect that will rely, at least initially on success.
Furte boy

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Ian has just said on Facebook ‘The rebrand had a decremental (sic) effect during our promotion and premier year. People stuck around because of the success but when that started to decline they started to leave. If we remained blue through it those that left would still be there and that includes the sacking of Malky which pissed quite a few off. The rebrand was always on the back of those supporters minds, it certainly was the case for me. Enough was enough for quite a lot while Tan stubbornly stuck to the red.’

So my thought is it’s due to the lack of success not the rebrand. First paragraph he said it himself. Stuck around for the success. Those fans would go if we were in blue. That is proven by multiple statistics. Post rebrand 22k we got in a promotion place as opposed to 18k this year. But this was The very year after the rebrand when the stats would be most accurate and before anything else could cause the fans to go like three years of piss poor performances. The impact of the rebrand on attendances can’t be judged on crowds 6 years after it took place and 3 years after it was reversed.
maccydee

Postby goats » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:18 pm

maccydee wrote:
goats wrote:
Costa Coffee Crew wrote:Could it be that the missing fans are ex City fans who now support the Shite in White.
Soft fans, from places like Bridgend Maesteg Port Talbot and Aberdare. Welsh football fan rather than hardcore Bluebirds. Truth is there are more bigger games in the Prem. This could explain the difference between the crowds under Jones and the crowds now. Hard to stomach maybe, but a reasonable theory.

No real fans change allegiances, just arseholes. They are not the hardcore support since the old days we have lost.
Looking at today’s attendance, only scraping 20k home fans, not great really. 5 years ago I reckon we’d have had 25000 easy today. Maybe it’s more than 4000 gone macca, more like 5000 :lol: :lol:

Complete guess.

Maybe we aren’t as big as we thought?

I don’t think we are, big city with large untapped catchment but that means nothing really. Last time we went up people were just desperate to see us promoted after 50 years in obscurity. I don’t think people care so much now despite being in our true colours. I’ve said on here many times, the club are targeting the wrong places to get fans in. They run free buses from poor areas in the valleys yet ignore 300,000 people who live in the city itself. No adverts, no ticket booth in the city, no free buses, nothing. I’d say most people wandering around the city centre when a game is on won’t be aware there is even a game on.
I reckon only 1 in about 100 people I know in Cardiff ever go, it’s all wrong.
goats

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:29 pm

goats wrote:
maccydee wrote:
goats wrote:
Costa Coffee Crew wrote:Could it be that the missing fans are ex City fans who now support the Shite in White.
Soft fans, from places like Bridgend Maesteg Port Talbot and Aberdare. Welsh football fan rather than hardcore Bluebirds. Truth is there are more bigger games in the Prem. This could explain the difference between the crowds under Jones and the crowds now. Hard to stomach maybe, but a reasonable theory.

No real fans change allegiances, just arseholes. They are not the hardcore support since the old days we have lost.
Looking at today’s attendance, only scraping 20k home fans, not great really. 5 years ago I reckon we’d have had 25000 easy today. Maybe it’s more than 4000 gone macca, more like 5000 :lol: :lol:

Complete guess.

Maybe we aren’t as big as we thought?

I don’t think we are, big city with large untapped catchment but that means nothing really. Last time we went up people were just desperate to see us promoted after 50 years in obscurity. I don’t think people care so much now despite being in our true colours. I’ve said on here many times, the club are targeting the wrong places to get fans in. They run free buses from poor areas in the valleys yet ignore 300,000 people who live in the city itself. No adverts, no ticket booth in the city, no free buses, nothing. I’d say most people wandering around the city centre when a game is on won’t be aware there is even a game on.
I reckon only 1 in about 100 people I know in Cardiff ever go, it’s all wrong.

Looking at my stats you will see the times crowds went up quite a bit.

Rick Wright as owner.
Sam Hamamm as owner.
Peter Ridsdale as chairman.

All three were masters of advertising. We lack that now.
maccydee

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:33 pm

maccydee wrote:Ian has just said on Facebook ‘The rebrand had a decremental (sic) effect during our promotion and premier year. People stuck around because of the success but when that started to decline they started to leave. If we remained blue through it those that left would still be there and that includes the sacking of Malky which pissed quite a few off. The rebrand was always on the back of those supporters minds, it certainly was the case for me. Enough was enough for quite a lot while Tan stubbornly stuck to the red.’

So my thought is it’s due to the lack of success not the rebrand. First paragraph he said it himself. Stuck around for the success. Those fans would go if we were in blue. That is proven by multiple statistics. Post rebrand 22k we got in a promotion place as opposed to 18k this year. But this was The very year after the rebrand when the stats would be most accurate and before anything else could cause the fans to go like three years of piss poor performances. The impact of the rebrand on attendances can’t be judged on crowds 6 years after it took place and 3 years after it was reversed.

You are correct the biggest contributing factor to the decrease in crowds since the PL has been the lack of success/relegation.

However, it is not the only contributing factor (IMO). Poor decisions about the running of the club and also on the pitch has had a drip, drip affect.

It is also impossible to rule out a contribution from a rebrand hangover where fans who had originally given the club the benefit of the doubt finally saw their patience break after the appointments of Slade and then Trollope and the abject performances under both managers.

I think you are looking for a knock out punch to prove that the rebrand had no affect on attendances whilst Ian is in the blue corner so to speak looking for the same punch to prove the opposite that the rebrand was to blame for everything.

You are both wrong and right at the same time as with most arguments it is a combination of circumstances which are to blame for the loss of support which included the rebrand but that one contributing factor was not the ultimate or even biggest contribution, it was just one of several reasons
Tony Blue Williams

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:29 pm

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
maccydee wrote:Ian has just said on Facebook ‘The rebrand had a decremental (sic) effect during our promotion and premier year. People stuck around because of the success but when that started to decline they started to leave. If we remained blue through it those that left would still be there and that includes the sacking of Malky which pissed quite a few off. The rebrand was always on the back of those supporters minds, it certainly was the case for me. Enough was enough for quite a lot while Tan stubbornly stuck to the red.’

You are correct the biggest contributing factor to the decrease in crowds since the PL has been the lack of success/relegation.

However, it is not the only contributing factor (IMO). Poor decisions about the running of the club and also on the pitch has had a drip, drip affect.

It is also impossible to rule out a contribution from a rebrand hangover where fans who had originally given the club the benefit of the doubt finally saw their patience break after the appointments of Slade and then Trollope and the abject performances under both managers.

I think you are looking for a knock out punch to prove that the rebrand had no affect on attendances whilst Ian is in the blue corner so to speak looking for the same punch to prove the opposite that the rebrand was to blame for everything.

You are both wrong and right at the same time as with most arguments it is a combination of circumstances which are to blame for the loss of support which included the rebrand but that one contributing factor was not the ultimate or even biggest contribution, it was just one of several reasons

Tony as usual you are wise.

I am not looking for a knock out punch as I have already given that plus I absolutely acknowledge that the rebrand cost us fans. That is a fact. 50 gave in their season tickets and there were undoubtedly more non season ticket holders who didn’t go again.

But when I hear the other reasons why fans have stopped going which include lack of success post Premiership (remember the crowds the year after the Premiership were still high with OGS spending shed loads), over zealous stewards, Slade and Trollope as managers, significant cost cutting, the Euros and more then i maintain the original point of my post which is that Our crowds aren’t 4000 less because of the rebrand. Obviously our crowds are 4000 down that much is obvious but there’s a number of reasons why.
maccydee

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:15 pm

maccydee wrote:

I am not looking for a knock out punch as I have already given that plus I absolutely acknowledge that the rebrand cost us fans. That is a fact. 50 gave in their season tickets and there were undoubtedly more non season ticket holders who didn’t go again.

But when I hear the other reasons why fans have stopped going which include lack of success post Premiership (remember the crowds the year after the Premiership were still high with OGS spending shed loads), over zealous stewards, Slade and Trollope as managers, significant cost cutting, the Euros and more then i maintain the original point of my post which is that Our crowds aren’t 4000 less because of the rebrand. Obviously our crowds are 4000 down that much is obvious but there’s a number of reasons why.

MD in a round about way we have somehow ended up agreeing :lol: :thumbup:
Tony Blue Williams

Postby paulh_85 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:18 pm

Nice work here mac

I think the “tickets on a promise” that we had for several seasons has definately had an effect
paulh_85

Postby maccydee » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:19 pm

maccydee wrote:

MD in a round about way we have somehow ended up agreeing :lol: :thumbup:

As I said, you are wise.
maccydee

Previous

Return to General Chat