Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Derby days "

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:50 pm

" Derby days "

Just ain't what they used to be are they? And I don't mean violence off the pitch before somebody mentions it. Sadly it's just followed most modern day matches, that edge has gone and a 12pm ko doesn't nothing to help the situation.

The crowd did try today and it was difficult in such a poor match and early ko, it eventually came to life when we scored but I don't think you will see a really decent Derby day until the jacks are up against the bluebirds again. Sadly the exciting Derby day has all but fizzled out. I watched shef weds vs shef Utd not long ago, and then watched the same contest on sky from 5 years ago and that was the same, that edge had gone, passion, call it what you like.

Such a shame but still 3 great points.

Re: Derby days

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Modern football I'm afraid when I got home watched man utd Chelsea no atmosphere could here the players shouting at times.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:02 pm

Wow.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Proves it cant just be modern stadiums then because they've still got old stadiums with the fans close to the action.

Re: " Derby days "

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:32 pm

For me, Bristol City is barely a derby match. It's the Jack's or nothing :evil:

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:45 pm

I thought it was a great atmosphere the Canton was bouncing and the Ninian sounded in good voice aswell. Though I did notice a mass exodus with about 10 minutes left from the Ninian, first time I have really noticed it.

Best atmosphere this season for me.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:24 pm

A local derby surely requires both teams to be from the same country :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :occasion5: :old:

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:34 pm

Local derby is nearest clubs playing each other irrelevant what country their from :occasion5: :occasion5:

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:23 pm

Krutches wrote:Local derby is nearest clubs playing each other irrelevant what country their from :occasion5: :occasion5:

A true derby is from the same city.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:06 pm

Jock wrote:
Krutches wrote:Local derby is nearest clubs playing each other irrelevant what country their from :occasion5: :occasion5:

A true derby is from the same city.

True.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:12 am

Its the UK all seater stadiums, its just killed stadium atmospheres
You put safe standing in the Canton and maybe along the front of the Ninian stand would see a change straight away football is slowly dying only 21k yesterday pathetic for 2nd in the league, people losing that buzz that bit of edge.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:24 am

Agree! :thumbright:

We are a club of 'circumstance' and our club's local rivals (say within a 40 - 50 mile radius) are the likes of Bristol City and the upstarts from down the M4 West, so they are our 'derbies'

Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough are examples of clubs that are a little closer together than that

For other clubs (mainly the ones where the city has multiple teams, e.g. London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield etc.) a 'local derby' can be as little as a couple of miles apart; or as in Liverpool/Everton's case, the width of the local park! :)

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:10 am

jockinwales wrote:A local derby surely requires both teams to be from the same country :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :occasion5: :old:

There are two clubs in Germany and Holland that is classed as a Derby because of their closeness on the border...a pretty useless fact really :old:

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:39 am

For me this derby vs Bristol City is way bigger than our derbies with Swansea Town, May Be it’s an age thing. Bristol 32 miles from Cardiff, Swansea 49 miles :bluebird:

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 am

1980s Bluebird wrote:
jockinwales wrote:A local derby surely requires both teams to be from the same country :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :occasion5: :old:

There are two clubs in Germany and Holland that is classed as a Derby because of their closeness on the border...a pretty useless fact really :old:

Not at all, every day’s a school day.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:55 am

Blueboys1927 wrote:For me this derby vs Bristol City is way bigger than our derbies with Swansea Town, May Be it’s an age thing. Bristol 32 miles from Cardiff, Swansea 49 miles :bluebird:

The Wurzels don’t like us but the Jack Pykies absolutely loathe us. Worked in both places and when I went into Howdens or Screwfix they ask for your postcode, in Bristol nobody batted an eyelid when it starts CF, in Jackland every one in the shop murmured obscenities including the retards behind the counter. 2nd City mentality ?

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:25 pm

Sven wrote:

We are a club of 'circumstance' and our club's local rivals (say within a 40 - 50 mile radius) are the likes of Bristol City and the upstarts from down the M4 West, so they are our 'derbies'

Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough are examples of clubs that are a little closer together than that

For other clubs (mainly the ones where the city has multiple teams, e.g. London, Manchester, Liverpool, Birmingham, Sheffield etc.) a 'local derby' can be as little as a couple of miles apart; or as in Liverpool/Everton's case, the width of the local park! :)

Crystal Palace v Brighton is hardly walking distance but it is lively and classed as a derby :occasion5:

Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:25 am

BEEP AHM wrote:
Sven wrote:

Crystal Palace v Brighton is hardly walking distance but it is lively and classed as a derby :occasion5:

Yep had that same experience up here especially if you go into JD Sports and ask if they have any Cardiff City polo shirts.... :D, always leave with a smile and a giggle.

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:43 pm

Derbies are rubbish compared what they were.You get 10k in the Vetch with 3000 of us in the pen and it was mad.The noise level was immense and the singing never stopped.Lots of reasons why Not the same, families go now, the main boys are now old and don't bother, the stadium and as we use too stand close together like sardines we had that togetherness you never get back with the seats

Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:54 pm

Tarkimicallefslovechild wrote:Derbies are rubbish compared what they were.You get 10k in the Vetch with 3000 of us in the pen and it was mad.The noise level was immense and the singing never stopped.Lots of reasons why Not the same, families go now, the main boys are now old and don't bother, the stadium and as we use too stand close together like sardines we had that togetherness you never get back with the seats

My first away at the vetch Welsh cup, as you painted it. Still smell and hear that noise. Great memory that night,hooked me for life. Singing at each other an hour before ko.