Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Warnock got it spot on "

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:19 pm

" Warnock got it spot on "

There were lots of complaints about our starting line up, I think I was largely in the minority being happy with our team, but I thought Warnock got it spot on today. Warnock's line up instantly told me how we were going to approach this game, and I was happy we approached the game the way we did.

Halford was brought in and it was the type of game he was needed. Whatever everyone thinks of Halford, he will always do a solid job for us. He's physical, no nonsense, takes no prisoners, wipes away everything in his path and I have yet to see an opponent get the better of him.

With Halford locking up the middle along with Ralls' legs and Paterson's all action, box to box engine in the midfield, it was clear how we would start off. We were going to be aggressive, we were going to get in their faces and we weren't going to allow them to settle and play their passing game.

Feeney was brought in for his work rate, partially to stop the dangerous Joe Bryan down their left side and partially to supply quality balls to Madine. I thought Madine did very well first half and softened Flint up a treat. I think Zohore got a lot of joy second half because of the shift Madine put in. Their defenders were physically battered and the longer the game went on, the more rattled they were with a fresh Zohore and Kadeem Harris running at them.

Today was never going to be a classic, it was a horrible, scrappy game with us keeping it tight, not giving anything away, playing the percentages and grinding them down. We have now had 4 consecutive clean sheets and that's our third 1-0 win in a row. It's what's required at this stage of the season, it's why we are 4 points clear of Villa in third and only 6 points off Wolves at the top.

We have the best manager who knows what it takes and we have no passengers in this squad. Everyone's united together, every player gets used and every player steps up when needed. Today was a battle and it was a battle that we won. It was a horrible game, but a great result carved out of pure spirit and will to win from a perfect game plan.

Lots of good performances today, but I will give my man of the match to Bamba. He won every header and gobbled up absolutely everything. We now have 12 games left and with teams at the top playing each other and taking points off each other, I think we might need another 7 wins, which will put us on 88 points. We can do this! :ayatollah:

Re: Warnock got it spot on

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:38 pm

Very well said Ross.

I was one of those who question Warnocks team selection today but decided not to go public as I trust his judgement. Although it was a scrappy game we never looked like losing it and were the team that deserved to win it.

Slowly but surely we are edging back to the Premier and we have the right man in charge to get us there.

Re: " Warnock got it spot on "

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:54 pm

We out muscled them and it's good to see. Warnock 1 Their little irrelevant manager 0

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Tonteg Bluebird wrote:" Warnock got it spot on "

There were lots of complaints about our starting line up, I think I was largely in the minority being happy with our team, but I thought Warnock got it spot on today. Warnock's line up instantly told me how we were going to approach this game, and I was happy we approached the game the way we did.

Halford was brought in and it was the type of game he was needed. Whatever everyone thinks of Halford, he will always do a solid job for us. He's physical, no nonsense, takes no prisoners, wipes away everything in his path and I have yet to see an opponent get the better of him.

With Halford locking up the middle along with Ralls' legs and Paterson's all action, box to box engine in the midfield, it was clear how we would start off. We were going to be aggressive, we were going to get in their faces and we weren't going to allow them to settle and play their passing game.

Feeney was brought in for his work rate, partially to stop the dangerous Joe Bryan down their left side and partially to supply quality balls to Madine. I thought Madine did very well first half and softened Flint up a treat. I think Zohore got a lot of joy second half because of the shift Madine put in. Their defenders were physically battered and the longer the game went on, the more rattled they were with a fresh Zohore and Kadeem Harris running at them.

Today was never going to be a classic, it was a horrible, scrappy game with us keeping it tight, not giving anything away, playing the percentages and grinding them down. We have now had 4 consecutive clean sheets and that's our third 1-0 win in a row. It's what's required at this stage of the season, it's why we are 4 points clear of Villa in third and only 6 points off Wolves at the top.

We have the best manager who knows what it takes and we have no passengers in this squad. Everyone's united together, every player gets used and every player steps up when needed. Today was a battle and it was a battle that we won. It was a horrible game, but a great result carved out of pure spirit and will to win from a perfect game plan.

Lots of good performances today, but I will give my man of the match to Bamba. He won every header and gobbled up absolutely everything. We now have 12 games left and with teams at the top playing each other and taking points off each other, I think we might need another 7 wins, which will put us on 88 points. We can do this! :ayatollah:

Top post. We have to trust Warnock. He's a bloody genius.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:06 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Very well said Ross.

I was one of those who question Warnocks team selection today but decided not to go public as I trust his judgement. Although it was a scrappy game we never looked like losing it and were the team that deserved to win it.

Slowly but surely we are edging back to the Premier and we have the right man in charge to get us there.

Cheers. :thumbright:

Like you say, we never looked like losing and isn't it nice to see us comfortably able to see games out this season. Ralls took a big chance at the end which nearly cost us mind!

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:48 pm

He's a brilliant manager. Never doubted us at any point especially when Johnson went down the mind games route

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:18 pm

Can we all give Halford the credit he deserves.

Hardly puts a foot wrong when he is called upon.

Ditto Connolly and Fenney.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 pm

First time I questioned the team selection, then I remembered Warnock had picked it. You could see what he wanted to do and despite it going to the 80th minute it worked. Awful game, 3 points on to the next game. Will he do similar at Brentford? Who are a decent team.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Often disagree with your ramblings but agree on every point of this post even down to Bamba being MOM.
If people who criticised his selection actually looked and thought about it like you did (and I did) then it was quite easy to see Warnocks reasons in picking each and every player.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:43 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:Very well said Ross.

Agree with everything you say and would never have believed this was possible at the start of the season

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:12 pm

I know we disagree on a lot of things ross but I always enjoy reading your posts

Have to be honest and say I didn’t like the team when I first saw it feeney seemed an ok pick as a direct result of having Madine in the team, also no one is really making that position their own right now, so no reason not to try feeney there.

Not Halfords biggest fan if I’m honest, but Warnock gets a lot of stick for signing the same players wherever he goes, but there’s a reason behind it, and that’s because he trusts them, and as a group of fans who trust the manager we should have faith in these players too. Actually thought Halford was very good today actually. Certainly doesn’t deserve stick off his own fans that he gets, not like he’s a lazy player earning 30k a week like some we’ve had in the past.

Overall I think Warnock set up to make sure we didn’t lose and hope someone fell for us, that worked perfectly because for the second home match in a row (I didn’t go to Boro, just going by what I heard) the opposition were no threat to us whatsoever

It bodes well, this squad and manager 100% have the bottle to do it, villas quality still might pip us to the post, but more performances like this and we are going up ! :ayatollah:

Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Great OP providing a very interestingly read on the tactical element of the game, often overlooked by us as fans. The only thing I’d add would be a mention for our fans, whom I thought were immense in their support of the team today. :bluebird:

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Wayne S wrote:Can we all give Halford the credit he deserves.

Hardly puts a foot wrong when he is called upon.

Ditto Connolly and Fenney.

Totally agree. I think Halford's experience was vital. I think that's his best position sitting in front of the back 4. I remember the Newcastle game last season where Diame didn't get a kick. Halford gets subbed at half time and straight away, you could see the difference with Diame having a gap to run through the middle of us.

I got asked how Bobby Reid played last night and I honestly forgot he was on the pitch. That's how effective a job Halford done.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:36 pm

paulh_85 wrote:

I know we disagree on a lot of things ross but I always enjoy reading your posts

Have to be honest and say I didn’t like the team when I first saw it feeney seemed an ok pick as a direct result of having Madine in the team, also no one is really making that position their own right now, so no reason not to try feeney there.

Not Halfords biggest fan if I’m honest, but Warnock gets a lot of stick for signing the same players wherever he goes, but there’s a reason behind it, and that’s because he trusts them, and as a group of fans who trust the manager we should have faith in these players too. Actually thought Halford was very good today actually. Certainly doesn’t deserve stick off his own fans that he gets, not like he’s a lazy player earning 30k a week like some we’ve had in the past.

Overall I think Warnock set up to make sure we didn’t lose and hope someone fell for us, that worked perfectly because for the second home match in a row (I didn’t go to Boro, just going by what I heard) the opposition were no threat to us whatsoever

It bodes well, this squad and manager 100% have the bottle to do it, villas quality still might pip us to the post, but more performances like this and we are going up ! :ayatollah:

Thanks Paul, that's nice of you to say.

I've never understood the criticism with Warnock bringing in the same players. Like you say, these are players he trusts, he knows their character, he knows they're reliable, he knows they will follow his instructions and these are the players who have given Warnock several promotions from this level.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:44 pm

103 Barmy Army wrote:Great OP providing a very interestingly read on the tactical element of the game, often overlooked by us as fans. The only thing I’d add would be a mention for our fans, whom I thought were immense in their support of the team today. :bluebird:

Cheers. :thumbright:

I must be turning into Annis, as I was disappointed we only had 21k. I was hoping for 23-24k, but hopefully if we can keep the wins going, we will start hitting the near 25k mark soon.

I agree the fans were immense. I was in the Canton and we didn't stop singing. The wurzels tried getting a couple of chants going, but they were quickly deafened out early on and I didn't hear them for the rest of the game. We really can be the 12th man.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:11 pm

If you would have posted that in between the team announcement and the game starting I'd have took my hat off to you and said I was wrong all along and you do have some football knowledge.