Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

LONG BALL BRISTOL

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:17 pm

Nice little stat this.

Been lurking on their forums today.. nothing but pure bile around how we play football. Our football is “Boring”, and we play “Warnock-ball”.

What a bunch of tits. 13 points adrift of Cardiff, and hoofing the ball like it’s going out of fashion.

Mid table beckoning for the Wurzels! :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LONG BALL BRISTOL

Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:08 am

I would say we are direct rather than long ball. We get it wide and up the field quickly rather than always lumping it.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:57 am

2blue2handle wrote:I would say we are direct rather than long ball. We get it wide and up the field quickly rather than always lumping it.

If you were to consult a Bristol fan, we’re unsure of how to play the ball unless it’s in the air.

Bunch of jealous arseholes with silly accents.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:46 am

i mentioned this in another thread, but this stat is just another example of the cliches fans use to describe teams they rarely see play.

i kept reading that bristol city are a good, passing side - last week one of their opponents managers picked up on this, calling them a long ball team, and yesterday they were awful again .

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:12 am

Anyone got a link to the Bristol Post story that shows that table of long balls.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:44 am

Interesting... their forum's would insist that 2000 of those were played yesterday and the rest of season it's Barcelona style all the way.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:43 am

Wayne S wrote:Anyone got a link to the Bristol Post story that shows that table of long balls.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ll-1258303

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:19 pm

Never understand why certain teams are scrutinised for playing a bit more of a direct style, instead of passing the ball to death in the wrong places.

I would much prefer our style of play, get the ball into the areas where you can’t hurt the opposition as quick as possible, that’s our style at the moment, I wouldn’t say a long ball team...

All this Warnock way, is bull**t in my opinion.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:39 pm

BlueDredd wrote:
Wayne S wrote:Anyone got a link to the Bristol Post story that shows that table of long balls.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... ll-1258303

Cheers Blue dress.

I wanted to see what comments were added and they didn't disappoint by totally ignoring the stats.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:10 pm

Unfortunately these stats suit Cardiff massively.

The real fact is that Cardiff have the ball so infrequently that they can't rack up huge numbers of long passes. Of passes attempted, Cardiff have the highest % of long balls (25.5%) compared to just 19% for Bristol City.

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:14 pm

70% of their Possesion and passes are in their own half between them back 4 and goalkeeper, then they hit it long.