Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

19 MORE POINTS FOR CARDIFF AND THEY ARE PROMOTED IN 2ND

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:56 pm

It is true that if Cardiff keep on the momentum of winning the remaining matches then there is no doubt about 2nd in the EFL Championship

Auto Promotion 2nd = 19 Points
Play-Off = 6 Points

Based on current form 73 points is enough for the playoffs, and 86 points for 2nd place. Cardiff are on 67 points so 6 from 36 for playoffs or 19 from 36 for automatic.

So not bad indeed you know since we have a bit of a gap from 3rd place Aston Villa :ayatollah:

Re: 19 MORE POINTS FOR CARDIFF AND THEY ARE PROMOTED IN 2ND

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:42 am

I'm not too sure where 19 points gets us an auto specially as there are 36 points to play for an we are 4 ahead of our nearest rivals. That to me makes it 33 points for an auto. You can bring that down to 31 points if we manage a draw against them but then you have ot look at the next team just below them who could capitalise on that.

Of course 86 points should be enough for an auto but I would not count on it the way this league is going.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:02 am

Bakedalasker wrote:I'm not too sure where 19 points gets us an auto specially as there are 36 points to play for an we are 4 ahead of our nearest rivals. That to me makes it 33 points for an auto. You can bring that down to 31 points if we manage a draw against them but then you have ot look at the next team just below them who could capitalise on that.

Of course 86 points should be enough for an auto but I would not count on it the way this league is going.

I tend to agree. The championship is the toughest it’s ever been in terms of the quality that’s in it.. maybe around the 30 mark could do it.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:27 am

I'd say 9 out of 12 wins should do it, massive ask but this is City, we have best defensive record in the league and are the inform team.

Everything is set in stone for a cracking showdown with Wolves on 7th April :bluescarf:

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:40 am

hard to say what will be the target right now, but a little dip in form fom villa, considering how far back the others are, might mean mid 80s would be enough

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:25 am

I think it'll be nearer 90 ( possibly a little more ) than 86 points. Both Aston Villa and Fulham are both good enough at this level to go on a long winning runs. Win our home games, draw our away games or the equivalent and I think we'll be pretty close particularly if we can get something at Villa. We have a very good chance of not being in the paly offs and we need to take it.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:37 am

Wolfpac wrote:I'd say 9 out of 12 wins should do it, massive ask but this is City, we have best defensive record in the league and are the inform team.

I'd be very surprised if we needed more than 7 wins, at a push 7 wins and a couple of draws.

If you think we need 9 wins then you are saying that Villa will need 11 wins from 12 or Derby new to win 12 from 12. No way will they do that.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:06 pm

I think Fulham are going to be our main rivals for the auto spot. I also think it's going to be like 88-89 points.

This would get us to 89pts...
6 wins: Barnsley (h), Brum (h), Burton (h), Wolves (h), Forest (h), Reading (h)
4 draws: Brentford (a), Sheff Utd (a), Norwich (a), Hull (a)
2 loses: Derby (a), Villa (a)

It's in our hands!

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:11 pm

ReaNy boy i hope you are right, as i have us finishing on 87

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:45 pm

A big factor depends on the games the others have to play against each other. Whether they win or draw etc. No one can know yet with any certainty what total we will need. Other than if we win the next 12. :lol:

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Before the Ipswich game I said I thought we needed 10 wins, or 8 wins and a couple of good draws (Wolves, Derby, Villa). 90 points should definitely be enough.

We've now already won 2 of those games.

We have left:

3 March - Brentford away
6 March - Barnsley home
10 March - Birmingham home
18 March - Derby away
30 March - Burton home
2 April - Sheffield United away
6 April - Wolves home
10 April - Villa away
14 April - Norwich away
21 April - Forest home
28 April - Hull away
6 May - Reading home

It goes without saying that Barnsley, Birmingham, Burton at home in the next month are all must win games. That gets us to 5 wins needed from 9, or 3 wins and 2 crucial draws.

This would mean that if we did lose to Brentford and Derby away, we'd be at least a point ahead of Derby still. Derby in March have to play Fulham at home and travel to QPR and Forest as well. I can't see them only being a point behind us in this scenario. I think any result against Derby, as long as we win those three home games will pretty much take them out of the equation as they've got a far harder run in than us.

Villa have got far easier games except against Wolves at home and maybe Bolton away. They're going to be our main contenders as their run in is the easiest of the chasing pack. They could realistically take maximum points from March.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:14 pm

Villa also have to play Derby

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:16 pm

Could Wolves be caught by the chasing pack? They have a few tough fixtures.

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:52 pm

Leon1927 wrote:Could Wolves be caught by the chasing pack? They have a few tough fixtures.

They'll finish 3rd.