Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" CRAIG BELLAMY TODAY REVEALS "

Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Craig Bellamy reveals how close he was to swapping Cardiff City for Oxford United and why the deal fell through

Thursday 1st March 2018

Craig Bellamy has revealed he'd agreed terms to take charge as Oxford United manager only for the deal to fall through at the eleventh hour.

"If I get it wrong, I might not be able to come back from it. I'm in no rush. I don't care where it is, conference, League One, League Two or Championship."

Bellamy admitted he'd held productive talks with former owner Oxford Darryl Eales, only for a change in the club's hierarchy to scupper his chances of landing the League One job.

Craig Bellamy:

"I was approached for the job, they asked to speak to me, so I went and spoke to them and we had a number of meetings," he said.

"They're good people, they want to push the club forward and we fitted each other really well. We agreed terms and I was really looking forward to it, to be honest.

"But at the 11th hour they got taken over by a new owner.

"I had the opportunity to go and meet the new owner and discussions with him were different to the other owners."

But Bellamy - while still looking for his first managerial job - admitted he was happy to remain at his boyhood club Cardiff in a role he continues to relish under Neil Warnock.

Despite the fact he missed out on the Wales job to former international teammate Ryan Giggs, Bellamy is relaxed about his future.

"To be honest, I'm already in a position in Cardiff working day to day, which I'm loving," said the former Wales and Liverpool forward, who added that he doesn't mind which league he enters as a manager.

"It wasn't fair on myself, Cardiff, or even Oxford to wait another week and I thought it was right to pull out.

"Being a footballer for a number of years, I know nothing is guaranteed in football.

"Oxford are a very good team and a very well run football term. I'd started to warm to the supporters and players and whoever goes in is going into a good environment.

"I'm not experienced enough to deal with different owners, that's why it took a while for me and Darryl to come to an agreement. To go through that process with a new owner would have taken another couple of weeks and the club don't need that.

"It wouldn't have been right to do that.

"For the time being I'm really happy where I am (at Cardiff). I want to go into management but it has to be right.

"If I get it wrong, I might not be able to come back from it. I'm in no rush. I don't care where it is, conference, League One, League Two or Championship."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " CRAIG BELLAMY TODAY REVEALS "

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:52 pm

Like the fact he is keen to earn his stripes and go lower leagues.
I think every young manager should learn there .Giggs should have done the same but i got the feeling here giggs stuck his nose in the air at lower leagues.
Giggs got the job because hes ryan giggs he never got the welsh job because hes done well as a manager.
If bellemy is to be a successful manager i think going to the lower leagues to a team like Oxford is a perfect education for a young aspiring manager.
Im sure hell get a start somewhere and good luck to him

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:10 pm

brickyblue wrote:Like the fact he is keen to earn his stripes and go lower leagues.
I think every young manager should learn there .Giggs should have done the same but i got the feeling here giggs stuck his nose in the air at lower leagues.
Giggs got the job because hes ryan giggs he never got the welsh job because hes done well as a manager.
If bellemy is to be a successful manager i think going to the lower leagues to a team like Oxford is a perfect education for a young aspiring manager.

He wanted the Wales job as well so you can't really have a dig at giggs just because he got it.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:16 pm

what exactly is he doing at Cardiff city? I thought bugger all because his TV work and other commitments have to be met??

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:48 pm

2blue2handle wrote:
brickyblue wrote:Like the fact he is keen to earn his stripes and go lower leagues.

He wanted the Wales job as well so you can't really have a dig at giggs just because he got it.

Yea i agree with that mate very true what youve said.
My point really is just because hes thinking of lower leagues i think its a wise choice he would of had the wales job yes if hed it.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:40 pm

WelshPatriot wrote:what exactly is he doing at Cardiff city? I thought bugger all because his TV work and other commitments have to be met??

From what I understand he is doing what amounts to voluntary work with the age groups. He does attend Development games as I have seen him there and seems to take a deep interest in the those young players coming through the system.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:54 pm

brickyblue wrote:
2blue2handle wrote:

Yea i agree with that mate very true what youve said.
My point really is just because hes thinking of lower leagues i think its a wise choice he would of had the wales job yes if hed it.

I remember in his book he said he wanted to work in the lower leagues to learn his trade.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:20 pm

I personally don’t see Bellamy living away from Cardiff for a few years, his children are happy in Howells school, he got the restaurant pier 64, some properties and god knows what else. I believe at the moment he is content, but who knows for the future.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:31 pm

like his style fair play