Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Neil Etheridge / Cardiff Fans "

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:02 am

Neil Etheridge deserves more credit than he gets from Cardiff City fans

By Nathan Blake

Saturday 3rd February 2018

He's signed this new contract, which is great news. Longer-term though.

He's signed this new contract, which is great news. Longer-term though, I can see him in an advisory role at Cardiff.

That would be magnificent for the club. For the club's bosses to learn from their previous mistakes, to have someone who knows football like Neil does, would be a perfect fit.

Cardiff's bosses need to glean as much from Warnock as they can. Because it's gold dust.

He would probably miss the argy-bargy of the everyday decision making and the competitiveness of a Saturday afternoon, but at some point that leaves you, that aggression won't last forever.

At the moment he retains that lust for life and I wouldn't want that to change any time soon. He got his mojo back during his time at Rotherham and he knows exactly what he's doing with Cardiff.

This weekend — providing the game survives the snow and goes ahead — I can see another 1-0 win.

Worst case scenario a 1-1 draw. Cardiff are so big and physical,and confident at the moment that teams won't put many goals past them. Brentford are a good footballing side but you can only tilt your hat to Cardiff and predict the Bluebirds will keep rolling on.

Just like a striker breeds confidence from scoring goals, a defence and goalkeeper gets confidence from keeping them out. Neil Etheridge deserves massive credit for his role in it all.

He's had the spectre of David Marshall somewhat unfairly looming over him but putting that to one side has been important for Etheridge. When you lose four games on the bounce, as Cardiff did over Christmas, people will point the finger at the goalkeeper.

Now after picking up clean sheet after clean sheet, he deserves more credit than he's getting. Fair play to him, he's been magnificent and deserves a big mention.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: " Neil Etheridge / Cardiff Fans "

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:36 am

Well i'd be more than happy to start the Neil Etheridge appreciation thread :bluescarf:

:ayatollah: Well done Neil, Top keeper, some class saves this season and plenty of clean sheets :clap:

Without a doubt a very bright future ahead, hopefully with us :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:44 am

Reply FB

Stephen Heard:
Problem down city is we hace been blessed with having 2 good keepers at the same time so keeping them happy was always a struggle especially wen Heaton and marshy was there...

Etheridge people keep getting it wrong no one is moaning about his shot stopping ability its up there its his distribution and how long he takes to release and that's the problem he's had all season bt again everything else is fantastic and i do have confidence in him and of late his kicking has been brilliant so he's definitely improving and u can now see his defence has confidence in him compared to start of season

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:13 am

Etheridge is a complete hero, saved us numerous times

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:16 am

Reply FB

Bryan Hughes
I have the utmost confidence in him when he goes out to collect a cross, no worries whatsoever

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:16 am

Reply on FB

Stewart Davies
I think he's a Superb goalkeeper

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:48 am

Met him a few times a nicer genuine person you will not find plus he is great goalkeeper to boot big reason we are where we are :bluescarf: :ayatollah:

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:26 pm

He is a good championship keeper at the moment with a very good defence in front of him. To make the step up he still needs a lot of work on certain parts of his game.
He is not on the level of our last few keepers (yet) and i would struggle to put him in the top 5 in this league

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:28 pm

There was some initial moaning and groaning about Neil Etheridge (mainly from the usual suspects) but that has largely died down after some heroic performances in the City goal, so Nathan Blake and his latest 'out of kilter' blog are a little behind the times on this subject :(

Neil Etheridge is undoubtedly City's No.1 and quickly becoming a fans favourite! :thumbright: :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:40 pm

Didn’t deserve the level of criticism he received at all. Marshall was prone to making mistakes throughout his time here yet people still worshipped him. Was always going to be a big step up from league 1 to the championship but he’s adjusted very well. Marshall was a better shot stopper but Etheridge is much better coming off his line.

My only criticism is that his distribution isn’t great. Seems to take a long time before going long allowing the team to set up defensively. Must be warnocks instruction though as he was rolling it out quickly at the start of the season. Coincidence this is when we were playing our best passing football???

Overall, absolute steal on a free transfer!!!

Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:23 pm

I'm going to do a Steve Zodiac and point out that I was one of the first posters to praise Neil Etheridge around September/October time and strangely my post didn't attract much traction. :?

Yes he has some faults to his game (if he didn't he wouldn't be playing for us :D ) but I see a fantastic shot stopper who has saved our backsides time and again.

Seems to attract a bit of stick from the centre-backs where the communication doesn't always seem to be a strength but that can be worked on and as the basics of a very good keeper are there I can only see improvement and us having a first rate stopper on our hands.