Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Next generation of Cardiff City stars?

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:13 pm

Who are the next generation of young Cardiff City stars we might see in the next few years?
These teenage Bluebirds are rising quickly through the ranks

Cardiff City's first team are thriving under the stewardship of Neil Warnock right now, mainly thanks to some smart transfer business and the influence of experienced senior players.

But Warnock has been keen to overhaul the club's youth system in recent years, with many supporters keen to see some homegrown talent break through.

Bar the odd name, it's been slim pickings in recent years, though that may be about to change.

Most Bluebirds fans will already be familiar with names such as Mark Harris, Rhys Healey and Cameron Coxe — all of whom have made fleeting appearance in the first team in the past 12 months — but what about the next generation?

Meet the teenage prodigies in Cardiff's academy who could burst onto the scene in the next few years...

Warren Burwood

Young Bluebirds 'keeper Warren Burwood
Burwood has been picked ahead of regular Under-23 'keeper Oliver Byrne at times this season, with development team bosses Jarred Harvey and Andy Legg clearly keen on the 17-year-old shot stopper.

Originally from Norfolk, Burwood has been with Cardiff since a 2016 move from Norwich and looks to be progressing nicely.

Behind Neil Etheridge, Brian Murphy and Byrne, he's technically the Bluebirds' fourth choice gloveman.

Jake Bodenham

Cardiff City youngester Jake Bodenham
Newport-born centre-back Bodenham has been with the Cardiff academy for four years. Now 18 years old and with international honours at youth level under his belt, he's stepped into the Under-23 side with aplomb in recent months.

He has until June to win a professional contract at Cardiff City Stadium when his apprentice deal expires.

Described as a physical defender, he looks to have a fair bit of promise.

Ben Margetson

Cardiff City Under-18s starlet Ben Margetson
Son of former Cardiff goalkeeping coach Martyn (now working with Sam Allardyce at Everton), Margetson is a full-back with attacking instincts.

He has only been with the Bluebirds since July 2017 but has already made a good impression, breaking into the Under-23 side on occasion this term.

Just 17, he could rival academy elders Coxe and Rhys Abbruzzese as Cardiff's most exciting young full-back.

Sion Spence

Young Bluebirds midfield man Sion Spence
Described as a "clever midfield player", 17-year-old Spence has been in the Cardiff academy system for a decade, making his debut for the Under-23s a year ago and featuring regularly since.

With Bellamy overseeing a restructure of the Bluebirds' development set-up — which included the departure of several older Under-23 players — youngsters like Spence have stepped up an age category and thrived.

Laurence Wootton

Laurence Wootton, who plies his trade for Cardiff City's youth sides
Another midfielder who has been a regular for Harvey and Legg's Under-23 outfit of late. Wooton turned 18 in January and has made good progress in the Bluebirds' youth ranks since being released by Stoke City.

He is in his second apprenticeship year with Cardiff and could be offered professional terms at the end of the season if his development — and game time for the Under-23s — continues.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... f-14340162

Re: Next generation of Cardiff City stars?

Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:27 pm

When I watch the U-23 team I am always impressed with Mark Harris who is head and shoulders above the rest of the development team. I know he has had a little sniff of first team action but I can see a player who could make the breakthrough soon.

Also I have been impressed with Cameron Coxe although I thought he didn't have much of a game against Burton in the League Cup. That said he is a committed and passionate player who works well down the right hand side weather it's full-back or attacking midfield. He has definitely improved this season.

Finally my wildcard would be Steffan Evans who reminds me so much of Joe Ralls. He is a right dog in central midfield and has all the attributes NW loves in his central midfielders.