Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Cardiff mentioned on Sunday supplement finally getting

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:39 pm

Noticed but amazed it took so long. We are also on Sky a lot more lately and coming up.

The four pressmen did say something about Cardiff or Villa going up and how in all likelihood with the style of football being geared up to getting their teams out of The Championship it’s not really conducive to success in the Premiership. We found this when Malky took us up and by Xmas we were definitely found out and didn’t have the versatility in the squad to change things up. The guys on Sunday supplement said that a few months into the season NW and SB would be under pressure from the fans if they were struggling.

Personally I have faith in NW to spend money wisely and build a team that could cope in the Prem. I think he has proved that recently with his ability to adapt his team.

Anyone have thoughts? I would hope NW would have credit in the bank to offset some losses were we to go up but I’m not sure, especially after Christmas.

Re: Cardiff mentioned on Sunday supplement finally getting

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:57 pm

In honesty I think they are spot on but you never know.
I like a bit of loyalty and would like to see Neil given his chance if we succeed and go up.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 pm

A 2yr contract gives impression club is prepared to come straight back down but this time it will be an organised retreat and NW will be given chance to take us straight back up. :thumbup:

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:02 pm

If we go up and straight back down so be it, but Warnock stays for me, plus I can’t see Tan firing him they seem
To get on well.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:04 pm

I agree, I think it will be entirely different in the Premier under Neil than it was with Malky. For a start I can't see him making the same basic mistake of keeping almost an entire squad of players unsuitable for the Premiership. Good Championship level players but not able to make the premier cut i.e. Taylor, Hudson, Cowie, Whittingham, Hudson, McNaughton, Noone, Turner etc. Also I think Warnock would be more realistic in managing Tan than Malky was. In a nutshell, Warnock is light years ahead of Malky in managerial ability.

It might not be easy, nor pretty but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Warnock makes a good enough fist of it to keep us up in the Premier and allows us to build for the future.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:05 pm

theclaw wrote:In honesty I think they are spot on but you never know.
I like a bit of loyalty and would like to see Neil given his chance if we succeed and go up.

How many will follow you in that loyalty.

Christmas someone wanted Bellamy in as manager.

I can see NW really, really wanting to prove himself in the Prem. Last chance of that.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Warnock has he has stated would folllow the Burnley model of committed players who want to play for the club and each other. I believe he would add just a little bit more quality at reasonable prices to achieve that. We already have a fair few Prem quality players

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:45 pm

Given adequate funds he'll keep us there assuming we get up.You've only got to look at that Benitez at Newcastle to know the money often determines how good you are.If we get up he deserves at least as much loyalty as Makay had if not more.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:57 pm

maccydee wrote:

I can see NW really, really wanting to prove himself in the Prem. Last chance of that.

I didn’t realise we’d been promoted yet?

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:03 pm

65Blue wrote:Warnock has he has stated would folllow the Burnley model of committed players who want to play for the club and each other. I believe he would add just a little bit more quality at reasonable prices to achieve that. We already have a fair few Prem quality players

Who?

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:08 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Quite clearly I was being hypothetical as I was talking about what had been said on the TV show.

I know you think we should forget about 2nd but hypothetically we are in with a good shout and can talk about going up.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:11 pm

Bakedalasker wrote:
65Blue wrote:Warnock has he has stated would folllow the Burnley model of committed players who want to play for the club and each other. I believe he would add just a little bit more quality at reasonable prices to achieve that. We already have a fair few Prem quality players

Who?

I’d say a handful who could survive.

Paterson
Bennett
Manga
Morrison
Ralls
Hoilett
Zohore
Madine (possibly as Prem defenders don’t like target men)

The rest I’m not convinced by. Can’t think of any glaring misses. Maybe etheridge, Bamba, Richards, Gunnar, Ward would prove me wrong and I’d be happy to be wrong.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:12 pm

maccydee wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Quite clearly I was being hypothetical as I was talking about what had been said on the TV show.

I know you think we should forget about 2nd but hypothetically we are in with a good shout and can talk about going up.

Fair enough, good point.

I agree it’ll be between us and Villa now, purely because Paul Merson said he thinks Fulham will get 2nd.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:14 pm

worcester_ccfc wrote:
maccydee wrote:
worcester_ccfc wrote:
maccydee wrote:

Fair enough, good point.

I agree it’ll be between us and Villa now, purely because Paul Merson said he thinks Fulham will get 2nd.

That’s a great shout. If Garth Crooks had said it I would suggest they were just about to be relegated.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:19 pm

Warnock gets players in and out fast!.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:33 pm

I think it is because the Premier League title is wrapped up and the focus is on relegation to the Championship and of course the Promotion race to the Premier League, and you know since we are on Sky for our matches against Derby Wolves and Aston Villa

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:12 pm

Recruitment,recruitment,recruitment it all about recruitment.

I watched it this afternoon and slightly disagree.

Teams who have lost their identity are the ones currently struggling. The ultimate yo-yo team WBA wanted to play the right way, as did Stoke. Both have recruited poorly and are struggling. Southampton have their internal youth and scouting system for players and buy well, shame the owners are making as much as they can.

Burnley, Huddersfield and Brighton are living the dream and have kept to a physical (committed) style of play. Newcastle basically have kept their championship team but have the pressures of expectation.

Looking through the premier league table only Bournmouth and maybe Watford play the "right way" like the big boys.

If we were to be promoted are we to dissimilar to Palace and dare i say it our neighbours up the road.

Journalist are lazy and pretend to be informed. They all probably think we play a 442 big & little un long ball game.

I think Warnock would improve the full backs and CM position but with his type of players, one who can handle the physical element of the championship but with the little bit of extra class.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:23 pm

I agree with your comments and think the journalists on Sunday Supplement had a point (I recall most were very positive about City's promotion last time) :thumbright:

I think Neil Warnock will give it a go and (unlike last time with the fiasco rather than specifically the manager) has the nouse to build a team to keep us there for more than a season; if not, why sign the contract?

I'll be ecstatic off we get promotion and happy if Neil Warnock stays. He'd deserve the 'shot' and my thoughts are "How much worse could it be than last time?" and my answer is "Surely, not a lot!"

Brilliant that the hard work is finally being realised and hopefully one final push will see the job through! :ayatollah:

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:24 pm

maccydee wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Who?

Paterson
Bennett
Manga
Morrison
Ralls
Hoilett
Zohore

The rest I’m not convinced by. Can’t think of any glaring misses. Maybe etheridge, Bamba, Richards, Gunnar, Ward would prove me wrong and I’d be happy to be wrong.

I agree with most accept Patterson and nadine

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:42 pm

llan bluebird wrote:Recruitment,recruitment,recruitment it all about recruitment.

I watched it this afternoon and slightly disagree.

Teams who have lost their identity are the ones currently struggling. The ultimate yo-yo team WBA wanted to play the right way, as did Stoke. Both have recruited poorly and are struggling. Southampton have their internal youth and scouting system for players and buy well, shame the owners are making as much as they can.

Burnley, Huddersfield and Brighton are living the dream and have kept to a physical (committed) style of play. Newcastle basically have kept their championship team but have the pressures of expectation.

Looking through the premier league table only Bournmouth and maybe Watford play the "right way" like the big boys.

If we were to be promoted are we to dissimilar to Palace and dare i say it our neighbours up the road.

Journalist are lazy and pretend to be informed. They all probably think we play a 442 big & little un long ball game.

I think Warnock would improve the full backs and CM position but with his type of players, one who can handle the physical element of the championship but with the little bit of extra class.

Good post although I would have used 'philosophy' rather than 'identity' to describe the playing styles. :D

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:43 pm

rossblue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Who?

Paterson
Bennett
Manga
Morrison
Ralls
Hoilett
Zohore

Patterson is legend material in the making, although I agree about Madine.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:59 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
rossblue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Who?

Paterson
Bennett
Manga
Morrison
Ralls
Hoilett
Zohore

I think the Prem would suit Damour personally

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:29 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
rossblue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Who?

Paterson
Bennett
Manga
Morrison
Ralls
Hoilett
Zohore

In a Kante sort of way?

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:17 am

maccydee wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
rossblue wrote:
maccydee wrote:
Bakedalasker wrote:

Who?

Paterson
Bennett
Manga
Morrison
Ralls
Hoilett
Zohore

In a Kante sort of way?

Just slightly better mate :laughing6: