Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

UPDATED: CHAMPIONSHIP CLUBS DEMAND FA ACTION AGAINST WOLVES

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:31 pm

" UPDATED "

Cardiff City's promotion rivals Wolves face questions over Financial Fair Play as clubs reportedly voice concerns -

By Tom Colemam

Monday 5th March 2018

Championship leaders Wolves are facing growing questions over their financial affairs, with a cluster of rival clubs reportedly voicing concerns over the club's connections with 'super-agent' Jorge Mendes.

The Portuguese, who was understood to have worked closely with Swansea City during the January transfer window, has played a key role in Wolves' promotion bid this season, helping to bring in the likes of Ruben Neves for £15 million from FC Porto and Atletico loanee Diogo Jota.

While the concept of clubs having strong working relationships with particular agents is nothing new, several clubs have reportedly voiced concerns to the EFL and the Football Association ahead of a Football League meeting this week.

According to reports, the complaints appear to be centred around Financial Fair Play.

Ruben Neves arrived for a large transfer fee in the summer

An anonymous club official is alleged to have told the Mirror : "If Wolves have brought in players such as Neves for £15m, he must be being paid as a player worth £15m should be.

"It’s the same with others they have brought in from Monaco, Atletico Madrid and Valencia. None of these players would come on the cheap. Something doesn’t add up."

SURPRISE NEWS EMERGES AS CHAMPIONSHIP CLUBS DEMAND FA ACTION AGAINST WOLVES

Sunday March 4, 2018

By Chris Gallagher

Even though they have had a recent wobble, Wolves are still on course to secure promotion back to the Premier League in what has been a fantastic season for Nuno Espirito Santo’s men.

The club made big statements in the summer with the appointment of the ex-Porto manager as well as attracting the likes of Ruben Neves, Diogo Jota and Willy Boly to the Black Country.

It’s obvious that their well-publicised links with super agent Jorge Mendes played a significant part in bringing in such players, and it appears fellow Championship sides aren’t happy with that.

According to the Mirror, several clubs want answers from the EFL and FA as to how Wolves have been able to bring in such players.

The report states that ‘the basis for the rivals’ complaint is that the money spent does not match up to the quality of incoming player.’

A club official from an unnamed side told the paper; “If Wolves have brought in players such as Neves for £15m, he must be being paid as a player worth £15m should be.”

“It’s the same with others they have brought in from Monaco, Atletico Madrid and Valencia. None of these players would come on the cheap. Something doesn’t add up.”

The Verdict

This is a very unusual situation as Wolves have already proven to the FA that there relationship with Mendes is okay, so it does seem as though other clubs are simply jealous of how they’ve operated this season.

It’s worth remembering the same structure was in place last season and there were few complaints when Wolves went on to waste most of their money.

All clubs use certain agents, and it never guarantees success. There’s also several clubs who spent more than the leaders in the summer so it’s hard to think anything will come of this.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: CHAMPIONSHIP CLUBS DEMAND FA ACTION AGAINST WOLVES

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:28 pm

I would love to know the clubs who demand this action as any punishment coming for Wolves, could mean good news for the likes of Cardiff Aston Villa Derby County and Fulham. Perhaps it was us lot chasing them for the top, mind you it is a bit suspicious how Wolves got ahead of everyone else at the top, with such a gap difference in points. Fingers Crossed they drop points

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:52 pm

wait so if I am reading this right, clubs complained because they feel the fee's paid don't match the quality of player. that's such a pathetic attempt by clubs who are obviously jealous of the spending power, I mean if wolves have to prove a players worth to anyone, how long until we have to prove the worth of players we have bought

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:57 pm

bluebird04 wrote:wait so if I am reading this right, clubs complained because they feel the fee's paid don't match the quality of player. that's such a pathetic attempt by clubs who are obviously jealous of the spending power, I mean if wolves have to prove a players worth to anyone, how long until we have to prove the worth of players we have bought

I have to agree. The idea of FFP was to stop clubs being loaded with debt and that they should spend within their means. So Wolves find a way of doing that and some others cry foul.

Unless there is something underhand going on that hasn't been reported then it is hard to see how Wolves have done anything wrong especially if the account figures add up.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:03 pm

bluebird04 wrote:wait so if I am reading this right, clubs complained because they feel the fee's paid don't match the quality of player. that's such a pathetic attempt by clubs who are obviously jealous of the spending power, I mean if wolves have to prove a players worth to anyone, how long until we have to prove the worth of players we have bought

no its the salary being paid against value of player? they are saying £15m player should be on 100k+ a week they have several players priced in that region and some are loan players how can they afford it considering they wasted millions last season aswell? mendes is the agent for a lot of the worlds top players and managers so hes not cheap either!!! the question is how can they afford it considering ffp, this is a championship club we are talking about not top 6 premiership one :old:

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:42 pm

pembroke allan wrote:

no its the salary being paid against value of player? they are saying £15m player should be on 100k+ a week they have several players priced in that region and some are loan players how can they afford it considering they wasted millions last season aswell? mendes is the agent for a lot of the worlds top players and managers so hes not cheap either!!! the question is how can they afford it considering ffp, this is a championship club we are talking about not top 6 premiership one :old:

I have to disagree, remember only in the premier league would you expect to find a £15m on £100k+ a week wage. they bought players from Europe where they tend to come through academies and remain on average wages. but sell high to us. the Portuguese league has never been financially blessed with huge tv deals, so I wouldn't be surprised if wolves were able to spend £15m on a player and then pay £30,000 a week wage.

don't forget there are otherways around wages, they could be saying look, take this wage, but for every appearance you get this bonus. which is different again

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:57 pm

There’s been other championship players gone for similar sums and I would bet a lot that they aren’t on 100k a week

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:16 am

bluebird04 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

I have to disagree, remember only in the premier league would you expect to find a £15m on £100k+ a week wage. they bought players from Europe where they tend to come through academies and remain on average wages. but sell high to us. the Portuguese league has never been financially blessed with huge tv deals, so I wouldn't be surprised if wolves were able to spend £15m on a player and then pay £30,000 a week wage.

don't forget there are otherways around wages, they could be saying look, take this wage, but for every appearance you get this bonus. which is different again

So they pay 15m for him but because he's in championship he won't get 100k a week? That's fine but the point is they are using one of the top agents in the world to recruit several players that half the premier clubs would take? So is it any wonder given the perseived cost of bringing in these players some clubs are questioning how they've managed to do so? And also normally to get a player to come to championship there is a premium to be paid as many clubs have found out? :thumbup:

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:07 am

paulh_85 wrote:There’s been other championship players gone for similar sums and I would bet a lot that they aren’t on 100k a week

Correct, absolutely nowhere near! even the majority of prem clubs wouldn't be paying those wages. 15m seems alot but in today's market it's a pretty average sum for the prem especially.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 am

Forever Blue wrote:SURPRISE NEWS EMERGES AS CHAMPIONSHIP CLUBS DEMAND FA ACTION AGAINST WOLVES

Sunday March 4, 2018

By Chris Gallagher

Even though they have had a recent wobble, Wolves are still on course to secure promotion back to the Premier League in what has been a fantastic season for Nuno Espirito Santo’s men.

The club made big statements in the summer with the appointment of the ex-Porto manager as well as attracting the likes of Ruben Neves, Diogo Jota and Willy Boly to the Black Country.

It’s obvious that their well-publicised links with super agent Jorge Mendes played a significant part in bringing in such players, and it appears fellow Championship sides aren’t happy with that.

According to the Mirror, several clubs want answers from the EFL and FA as to how Wolves have been able to bring in such players.

The report states that ‘the basis for the rivals’ complaint is that the money spent does not match up to the quality of incoming player.’

A club official from an unnamed side told the paper; “If Wolves have brought in players such as Neves for £15m, he must be being paid as a player worth £15m should be.”

“It’s the same with others they have brought in from Monaco, Atletico Madrid and Valencia. None of these players would come on the cheap. Something doesn’t add up.”

The Verdict

This is a very unusual situation as Wolves have already proven to the FA that there relationship with Mendes is okay, so it does seem as though other clubs are simply jealous of how they’ve operated this season.

It’s worth remembering the same structure was in place last season and there were few complaints when Wolves went on to waste most of their money.

All clubs use certain agents, and it never guarantees success. There’s also several clubs who spent more than the leaders in the summer so it’s hard to think anything will come of this.

hhmmmmm No smoke without fire, something fishy has gone on here otherwise why would other teams bother asking questions ???

I expect they have found some sneaky way around FFP, i'm sure this won't be the last we hear of this !!!

Time will tell what they have done, but I seriously doubt anything will every be done about it, most of these sneaky work arounds never end up being punished.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:00 am

Having read the article I have formed the opinion that it is entirely possible, in fact probable, that these transfers/payments are perhaps not the norm - but, at the same time, I also think it is likely to be the case that Wolves have found a way around these FFP rules to their advantage.

Clearly, if certain players accept being paid in a different manner, then that is for them.

Personally I dont think anyone can blame Wolves for being clever. Now, and if its proven they have broken the rules, then that is totally different.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:43 am

Paul Keevil wrote:Having read the article I have formed the opinion that it is entirely possible, in fact probable, that these transfers/payments are perhaps not the norm - but, at the same time, I also think it is likely to be the case that Wolves have found a way around these FFP rules to their advantage.

Clearly, if certain players accept being paid in a different manner, then that is for them.

Personally I dont think anyone can blame Wolves for being clever. Now, and if its proven they have broken the rules, then that is totally different.

I tend to agree with this post and I am more inclined to think it is the FFP Rules themselves that are the problem. Many see them as not fit for purpose and (so far as I can see) several top clubs in Europe, including those at the top of the Premier League are circumnavigating them with no real issues

Either those clubs are very clever or the authorities are selective on whom they pick up! ;)

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:47 am

Sven wrote:
Paul Keevil wrote:Having read the article I have formed the opinion that it is entirely possible, in fact probable, that these transfers/payments are perhaps not the norm - but, at the same time, I also think it is likely to be the case that Wolves have found a way around these FFP rules to their advantage.

I tend to agree with this post and I am more inclined to think it is the FFP Rules themselves that are the problem. Many see them as not fit for purpose and (so far as I can see) several top clubs in Europe, including those at the top of the Premier League are circumnavigating them with no real issues

Either those clubs are very clever or the authorities are selective on whom they pick up! ;)

I think they (FFP) are a joke and have too many door open to be abused by those clubs rich enough to do so.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 am

There are legal minds out there who know these laws inside out and would have found a way around them some how and remained within the rules.

Cannot see anything coming of this apart fromnit maybe putting a bit of doubt in the mind of Wolves in the run in.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:13 am

Not rocket science, in their contracts they will have a clause like 50% payrise when promoted to the Prem, 5% rise per year in prem etc

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:38 am

I suppose that Wolves could declare a salary that complies with FFP and then the players could also be paid the balance of their wages by a dummy company that is nothing to do with football.An offshore pan-american job.I know one called Langstone. :lol:

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 am

Perhaps the fact that somehow they have managed to sign players who normally would be of interest to lots premier clubs? Why would they go to championship club in preference to premiership one where as been stated the money is better! Also could be conflict of interest with mendes as he instigated the signings whilst being part of wolves setup? Several questions that may need answering which is what clubs are asking. :old:

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:45 am

pembroke allan wrote:Perhaps the fact that somehow they have managed to sign players who normally would be of interest to lots premier clubs? Why would they go to championship club in preference to premiership one where as been stated the money is better! Also could be conflict of interest with mendes as he instigated the signings whilst being part of wolves setup? Several questions that may need answering which is what clubs are asking. :old:

The questions you raise don't really have anything to do with FFP. What your questioning is Governance (conflict of interest). If Wolves have breached FFP then it will turn up in their annual accounts and if they have lost more than £39m over any three year cycle then they will face sanctions.

So if they are paying players £100kpw then it will eventually show up in the paperwork.

FFP was designed to stop clubs being loaded with debt whilst gambling on promotion to balance the books. If Wolves have found a way to sign top quality players on manageable wages without breaking player contract rules then good luck to them.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:47 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:I suppose that Wolves could declare a salary that complies with FFP and then the players could also be paid the balance of their wages by a dummy company that is nothing to do with football.An offshore pan-american job.I know one called Langstone. :lol:

I get the context but that would open up a whole new can of worms maybe even third party ownership?

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:51 am

Logie wrote:Not rocket science, in their contracts they will have a clause like 50% payrise when promoted to the Prem, 5% rise per year in prem etc

That is perfectly possible although players do generally like the 'show me the money' mantra :lol:

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:01 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:
Logie wrote:Not rocket science, in their contracts they will have a clause like 50% payrise when promoted to the Prem, 5% rise per year in prem etc

That is perfectly possible although players do generally like the 'show me the money' mantra :lol:

They were possibly signed to showcase qualities... if they go up they are premiership players... if they don't go up a lot will be picked up by premiership clubs anyway.... Win Win :thumbright:

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:04 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

They were possibly signed to showcase qualities... if they go up they are premiership players... if they don't go up a lot will be picked up by premiership clubs anyway.... Win Win :thumbright:

That's a fair point and certain 'arrangements'may already be in place with or without promotion :thumbright:

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:07 am

Sven wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

That's a fair point and certain 'arrangements'may already be in place with or without promotion :thumbright:

Its all well and good when you're winning but IF they fail to get promotion I think we'll see a few tantrums and transfer requests being handed in. Like you said, this could all be in place if they fail anyway.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:10 am

What i don't understand is why wait until this end of the season to bring it all up when they're in the position they're in. Would it still be an issue if they were mid table?

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:13 am

Jestrix wrote:What i don't understand is why wait until this end of the season to bring it all up when they're in the position they're in. Would it still be an issue if they were mid table?

Yes... look at Bham they are in the same boat.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:59 am

Cardiff City's promotion rivals Wolves face questions over Financial Fair Play as clubs reportedly voice concerns -

By Tom Colemam

Monday 5th March 2018

Championship leaders Wolves are facing growing questions over their financial affairs, with a cluster of rival clubs reportedly voicing concerns over the club's connections with 'super-agent' Jorge Mendes.

The Portuguese, who was understood to have worked closely with Swansea City during the January transfer window, has played a key role in Wolves' promotion bid this season, helping to bring in the likes of Ruben Neves for £15 million from FC Porto and Atletico loanee Diogo Jota.

While the concept of clubs having strong working relationships with particular agents is nothing new, several clubs have reportedly voiced concerns to the EFL and the Football Association ahead of a Football League meeting this week.

According to reports, the complaints appear to be centred around Financial Fair Play.

Ruben Neves arrived for a large transfer fee in the summer

An anonymous club official is alleged to have told the Mirror : "If Wolves have brought in players such as Neves for £15m, he must be being paid as a player worth £15m should be.

"It’s the same with others they have brought in from Monaco, Atletico Madrid and Valencia. None of these players would come on the cheap. Something doesn’t add up."
There is no indication at this stage that Cardiff City are one of the clubs to have voiced any concerns, and Wolves are understood to be "entirely comfortable" that they will comply with Financial Fair Play regulations, having posted a profit shortly before a takeover by Chinese consortium Fosun International was completed.

Under the rules, clubs can lose up to £39 million over the course of a three-year period - a scenario that looks highly unlikely for Wolves despite their recent heavy spending.

Cardiff are currently six points behind Nuno Espirito Santo's side with 12 games to play.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:50 pm

bluebird04 wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:

Neves is on 45k a week at wolves.

It's well known wolves are already in breach of FFP and need promotion to be in NY in the extra money or they are in the crap.

In the words of the wolves chairman “FFP is a challenge of course but we’re not always doing things based on that"

Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:52 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Perhaps the fact that somehow they have managed to sign players who normally would be of interest to lots premier clubs? Why would they go to championship club in preference to premiership one where as been stated the money is better! Also could be conflict of interest with mendes as he instigated the signings whilst being part of wolves setup? Several questions that may need answering which is what clubs are asking. :old:

The questions you raise don't really have anything to do with FFP. What your questioning is Governance (conflict of interest). If Wolves have breached FFP then it will turn up in their annual accounts and if they have lost more than £39m over any three year cycle then they will face sanctions.

So if they are paying players £100kpw then it will eventually show up in the paperwork.

FFP was designed to stop clubs being loaded with debt whilst gambling on promotion to balance the books. If Wolves have found a way to sign top quality players on manageable wages without breaking player contract rules then good luck to them.

Mmmm sorry not mentioned ffp in this particular post and yes I am aware of rules of ffp! In this post I merely put some possible reasons why other clubs are asking questions about their signings. I don't think it's just sour grapes by several clubs but then again perhaps it is and city are one of these clubs? :thumbup:

Re: UPDATED: CHAMPIONSHIP CLUBS DEMAND FA ACTION AGAINST WOL

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:34 pm

this is just stupid, and ridiculous. I bet we got players on a huge wage at our club, god, i'd hate to see what we are paying madine, for starters. but this is just shocking.

there are many ways around FFP, one is for the owner to just give the club money and say its a stadium sponser or some rubbish, and lets not forget they might have 3/4 players on £45k a week. (none of us know) but all the others might be on between, £5k-£12k for example, which means it all averages out.

just pure jealousy from smaller clubs.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:41 pm

pembroke allan wrote:So they pay 15m for him but because he's in championship he won't get 100k a week?

Not sure that £15M players are necessarily all automatically on £100K a week are they?

Didn't Ross McCormack go for a little less than that and I remember it being reported that forest were paying 30k of his 42k wages when they had him on loan.

Memory might be bit fuzzy but that def. seems to ring a bell