Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ON NEIL WARNOCK'S NEW CONTRACT FROM A READING FC BLOG

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:44 pm

As Reading FC have shown with Stam, Cardiff should be wary with new Warnock deal
By Russell Kempson

Sunday 4th March 2018

Warnock has been rewarded for a fine job with the Bluebirds this season

What is worse than Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock once again unnecessarily and unfairly lambasting a referee and his assistants for his side’s latest draw or defeat?

Well, it is Warnock smug, smarmy and smirking after he had agreed a two-year extension to his contact, which will keep him at the South Wales club until 2020.

To be fair to “Colin W”, which I don’t really like to be, he has done an excellent job at Cardiff this season.

They’ve as good as nailed a Championship play-off spot already, barring a late collapse, and appear to be serious contenders for an automatic promotion slot.

And who knows? They might even catch long-time leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers should the boys from the Black Country falter over the run-in.

All that after Warnock rescued Cardiff from a possible relegation struggle last term, when he succeeded Paul Trollope in October 2016 and lifted the Bluebirds from a precarious 23rd place to a final finish of 12th.

Fair play, Colin.

However, I can’t help feel that the knee-jerk reactions of club owners sacking their managers for a series of poor results also applies to them offering the bosses new fat contracts after a season of excellence.

Remember … Reading FC’s Jaap Stam, after inspiring his side to the second-tier play-off final last term, was handed a two-year contract extension.

That superb 2016/17 campaign, so desperate has been 2017/18, now looks little more than a one-off fluke.

Stam has become damaged goods and Reading’s Chinese owners now appear a tad foolish in locking in the Dutchman until the summer of 2019.

Wherever Cardiff end up at the conclusion of this season – automatically promoted or successful or beaten in the play-offs – it could be that one-off fluke syndrome all over again.

And next time around - as with Reading and Stam - if it all goes horribly pear-shaped, will the Cardiff hierarchy wonder why on earth they had rewarded Warnock so prematurely and handsomely?

Colin W will always harangue match officials. As distasteful as it is, we’ve all grown to accept that.

And you know, strangely – on the back of his new deal - I think I prefer those mostly distorted and deluded post-match histrionics to him being smug, smarmy and smirking.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ON NEIL WARNOCK'S NEW CONTRACT FROM A READING FC BLOG

Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:50 pm

And your point is? :bluebird: or should I say their point is?

It is one of those situations that we cannot know what the future brings, we may get promoted and finish in top 10 in Premier League, we just do not know. It's a funny old game :occasion5:

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:11 pm

1980s Bluebird wrote:And your point is? :bluebird: or should I say their point is?

It is one of those situations that we cannot know what the future brings, we may get promoted and finish in top 10 in Premier League, we just do not know. It's a funny old game :occasion5:

I didn't make the point, so nice of you to correct yourself! :thumbright:

I believe the point was that Jaap Stam didn't prove to be the saviour he appeared to be in his first season and after being rewarded with a nice new contract (Adebayor was renowned for doing similar)

For me (and this point does belong to me ;) ) the comparisons between Japan Stam and Neil Warnock start and end at the title 'manager'

Jaap Stam fell into the job and his 'fresh' approach worked for a season (or part thereof) before he was sussed

Neil Warnock has been plying his trade highly successfully for a long long time and (mainly grudgingly from those he didn't manage, including us at times) has the respect of his peers due to what he has achieved

He may not be everyone's cup of tea (as the blog clearly shows) but he knows what he's doing, he galvanises teams and fans and he gets the job done repeatedly

Sour grapes (IMHO) from the Reading FC guy and nice to know our success is winding other clubs fans up!

Neil Warnock is perfect for Cardiff City FC right now! :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Sven wrote:
1980s Bluebird wrote:And your point is? :bluebird: or should I say their point is?

I didn't make the point, so nice of you to correct yourself! :thumbright:

I believe the point was that Jaap Stam didn't prove to be the saviour he appeared to be in his first season and after being rewarded with a nice new contract (Adebayor was renowned for doing similar)

For me (and this point does belong to me ;) ) the comparisons between Japan Stam and Neil Warnock start and end at the title 'manager'

Jaap Stam fell into the job and his 'fresh' approach worked for a season (or part thereof) before he was sussed

Neil Warnock has been plying his trade highly successfully for a long long time and (mainly grudgingly from those he didn't manage, including us at times) has the respect of his peers due to what he has achieved

He may not be everyone's cup of tea (as the blog clearly shows) but he knows what he's doing, he galvanises teams and fans and he gets the job done repeatedly

Sour grapes (IMHO) from the Reading FC guy and nice to know our success is winding other clubs fans up!

Neil Warnock is perfect for Cardiff City FC right now! :ayatollah: :bluescarf: :bluebird:

Spot on there is 30 odd years in management experience and 7 promotions worth of difference between Stam and NW. If old 'Colin' (Goodness isn't that a well worn out joke :roll: ) does have a bad season next year then you know he has the ability to bounce back the season after.

Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:56 pm

he obviously doesnt watch footy on tv or any football for that matter or he would see all managers barate 4th official and ref if they could! so NW not unique :laughing6:

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:12 pm

Top 10 in the prem would be absolutely insane. Bring it on

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:33 pm

The blog talks about how well Neil did last season here, then goes on to say how well he has done this season here..then sums up by basically saying Neil might prove to be a one season wonder during his time at Cardiff :lol:

Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:46 pm

CityBlue93 wrote:The blog talks about how well Neil did last season here, then goes on to say how well he has done this season here..then sums up by basically saying Neil might prove to be a one season wonder during his time at Cardiff :lol:

Yeah that's what I thought.

I believe this guy is expecting Warnock to fail in the Premier with his style. Unfortunately history is against him but history is there to be broken....or is that rules. Whatever I feel he deserves the chance and for me it will be a bonus if he proves history wrong.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:27 am

Sven wrote:As Reading FC have shown with Stam, Cardiff should be wary with new Warnock deal
By Russell Kempson

Sunday 4th March 2018

Warnock has been rewarded for a fine job with the Bluebirds this season

What is worse than Cardiff City manager Neil Warnock once again unnecessarily and unfairly lambasting a referee and his assistants for his side’s latest draw or defeat?

Well, it is Warnock smug, smarmy and smirking after he had agreed a two-year extension to his contact, which will keep him at the South Wales club until 2020.

What a load of crap that is. If a manager doesn’t get rewarded for a good season when do they get rewarded. They are certainly sacked quickly enough for failure.

To be fair to “Colin W”, which I don’t really like to be, he has done an excellent job at Cardiff this season.

They’ve as good as nailed a Championship play-off spot already, barring a late collapse, and appear to be serious contenders for an automatic promotion slot.

And who knows? They might even catch long-time leaders Wolverhampton Wanderers should the boys from the Black Country falter over the run-in.

All that after Warnock rescued Cardiff from a possible relegation struggle last term, when he succeeded Paul Trollope in October 2016 and lifted the Bluebirds from a precarious 23rd place to a final finish of 12th.

Fair play, Colin.

However, I can’t help feel that the knee-jerk reactions of club owners sacking their managers for a series of poor results also applies to them offering the bosses new fat contracts after a season of excellence.

Remember … Reading FC’s Jaap Stam, after inspiring his side to the second-tier play-off final last term, was handed a two-year contract extension.

That superb 2016/17 campaign, so desperate has been 2017/18, now looks little more than a one-off fluke.

Stam has become damaged goods and Reading’s Chinese owners now appear a tad foolish in locking in the Dutchman until the summer of 2019.

Wherever Cardiff end up at the conclusion of this season – automatically promoted or successful or beaten in the play-offs – it could be that one-off fluke syndrome all over again.

And next time around - as with Reading and Stam - if it all goes horribly pear-shaped, will the Cardiff hierarchy wonder why on earth they had rewarded Warnock so prematurely and handsomely?

Colin W will always harangue match officials. As distasteful as it is, we’ve all grown to accept that.

And you know, strangely – on the back of his new deal - I think I prefer those mostly distorted and deluded post-match histrionics to him being smug, smarmy and smirking.

Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:08 am

That blog is embarrassingly bad. Abusive and stupid/contradictory in equal measures. When I looked last the comments were all ripping into him. He has a history of writing anti-Warnock pieces, and they are all that standard. According to Paul Evans this Russell Kempson used to be a journalist on national papers but has now working his way down the pyramid to a crappy blog on a small commercial fan site.