Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Welsh Culture and Cardiff City

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:28 am

I was thinking about Cardiff city low attendances, the next generation of Cardiff city fans and why welsh people go off to support English teams instead of welsh teams. I was wondering whether the reason for this could be a lack of welsh culture at Cardiff city. Although a lot of people may argue people naturally gravitate towards wining teams, I would argue that Identity is the most important thing surrounding a football club. Just take how people reacted over the re-brand for example. So trying not to get ahead of myself with premier talk but if we are able to get promoted, I think it would be pretty cool giving the premier league is the most watched league in the world, to make some changes to identify more of a welsh culture at Cardiff city games. I think doing so will make the next generation of fans in Wales more attached to Cardiff then to English teams because it wont be just about winning but welsh identity. Establishing a welsh culture could also engage us with more fans abroad because our culture would make us stand out from other premier league teams.

I am interested to hear what peoples thoughts on establishing more of a welsh culture at Cardiff city games, but here are my suggestions

1. providing we have stadium naming rights- we should change the stadium name from the Cardiff City stadium to the Dewi Sant stadium after saint David

2. the Canton should fly the Saint David Flag before games

3. Regarding welsh music- folk music has a huge history in Wales, so perhaps have someone playing a sample of Gwarchodd Llanddona before the Cardiff fans sing Men of Harlech

4. when Cardiff city usually plays a video on the screens before the games it should be centred around the evolution of welsh history.

5. when the players walk out of the tunnel maybe have 2 ceremonial welsh miners walk out with them with their pick and shovel

what do people think suggestions? feel free to add your own.

Re: Welsh Culture and Cardiff City

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:55 am

I am a passionate Wales supporter, but I don't think in general this is a good idea for our football club.

I do enjoy the Welsh connections we have, and unlike some on here were delighted to see us have a male voice choir doing the pre-match ents on one occasion, as well as the Welsh Regiment parading etc.

Sam tried to associate us with his Celtic Dragon idea - never stuck, we're stronger as a single identity, Cardiff City - and I come from a generation where many of the Wales side were playing at the City, and we were the standout 'big club'.

Thanks for raising it though, it is an interesting notion.

CTID

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:13 am

No. Leave things alone. We're a club side. We already have our identity. :bluescarf: :ayatollah: :bluebird:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 am

JimmyJazz wrote:I am a passionate Wales supporter, but I don't think in general this is a good idea for our football club.

I do enjoy the Welsh connections we have, and unlike some on here were delighted to see us have a male voice choir doing the pre-match ents on one occasion, as well as the Welsh Regiment parading etc.

Sam tried to associate us with his Celtic Dragon idea - never stuck, we're stronger as a single identity, Cardiff City - and I come from a generation where many of the Wales side were playing at the City, and we were the standout 'big club'.

Thanks for raising it though, it is an interesting notion.

CTID

Yeah, I don't like the fact that Sam tried to rename the club the Cardiff Celtics it sounds more of a American franchise than a football club like what they are trying to do at Hull with the Hull tigers. However, I don't think my suggestions are too evasive. Ninian Park often had flags of Saint David and its been a proud tradition of our football club. The name Cardiff City Stadium is really bland so naming the stadium if we have the rights to do so, the dewi sant stadium wouldn't be a big deal in my opinion, also considering that the wales football team is gonna be long term tenants at our stadium. The symbolic Pick and shovel and mining culture in the south east valleys has also been a huge part of Cardiff city history. I don't think I am particularly trying to change too much with regards to the identity to Cardiff city, I just don't think we emphasise our identity enough.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:44 am

Not for me I'm afraid. I've always regarded supporting Cardiff and Wales quite differently. Cardiff is a pretty cosmopolitan city these days and we should try and attract support from across the whole community.
Whilst on, I think the pick and shovel song is not much cop at getting the crowd going. More of a hey Jude fan myself.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:01 am

wiltshirebluebird wrote:Not for me I'm afraid. I've always regarded supporting Cardiff and Wales quite differently. Cardiff is a pretty cosmopolitan city these days and we should try and attract support from across the whole community.
Whilst on, I think the pick and shovel song is not much cop at getting the crowd going. More of a hey Jude fan myself.

I don't necessarily see why identifying the club with more traditional welsh culture like it had in the past would be a big turnoff for cosmopolitan fans in Cardiff, I am currently studying in Aberystwyth university and being a university town is also a very cosmopolitan area. And a lot of the people I meet from different parts of the UK, Europe or USA/Canada often are keen to learn and embrace welsh culture and they say as a country we don't embrace it enough, which I think is true. I can tell you growing up in Ebbw Vale and my parents both being from Abergavenny I didn't really identify myself with welsh culture growing up or think it was really a big deal. However, Its actually my friends from Canada and the US and their love for welsh culture and history which has got me thinking whether our football club promotes it enough especially welsh culture and history from Cardiff city fan hotbeds like the South East Valleys.

P.S. This is not my attempt to make Cardiff city into a second wales national team :lol: just trying to project the Cardiff City fc Idenity on a much broader scale.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:01 pm

It's not the culture, it's a lack of successful history.

No success meant fans looking elsewhere and that meant over the border.

Swansea's long stay in the top flight is now giving them a generation of fans brought up only being aware of Premier football in their area.

Jack's who were 9 or 10 when they got promoted are now coming of age. A few more seasons and they will be having kids. The success will stop them looking elsewhere.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:39 pm

JJBluebird98 wrote:I was thinking about Cardiff city low attendances, the next generation of Cardiff city fans and why welsh people go off to support English teams instead of welsh teams. I was wondering whether the reason for this could be a lack of welsh culture at Cardiff city. Although a lot of people may argue people naturally gravitate towards wining teams, I would argue that Identity is the most important thing surrounding a football club. Just take how people reacted over the re-brand for example. So trying not to get ahead of myself with premier talk but if we are able to get promoted, I think it would be pretty cool giving the premier league is the most watched league in the world, to make some changes to identify more of a welsh culture at Cardiff city games. I think doing so will make the next generation of fans in Wales more attached to Cardiff then to English teams because it wont be just about winning but welsh identity. Establishing a welsh culture could also engage us with more fans abroad because our culture would make us stand out from other premier league teams.

5. when the players walk out of the tunnel maybe have 2 ceremonial welsh miners walk out with them with their pick and shovel

Not sure if your being serious :shock:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Wayne S wrote:It's not the culture, it's a lack of successful history.

Swansea's long stay in the top flight is now giving them a generation of fans brought up only being aware of Premier football in their area.

Jack's who were 9 or 10 when they got promoted are now coming of age. A few more seasons and they will be having kids. The success will stop them looking elsewhere.

The Jacks who were 9 & 10 then probably have 9 & 10 year olds themselves now :lol:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 pm

Too many Welsh Fans pretend to support English Clubs, thing is the genuine local Mancs, Scousers or Cockneys hold them in absolute contempt. If we can get promoted and stay up for 10years (massive ask I know) we’d have a generation of City Fans coming through and something to build on. As you say success breeds success and it’s very little to do with Welsh Culture.

Jock wrote:
JJBluebird98 wrote:I was thinking about Cardiff city low attendances, the next generation of Cardiff city fans and why welsh people go off to support English teams instead of welsh teams. I was wondering whether the reason for this could be a lack of welsh culture at Cardiff city. Although a lot of people may argue people naturally gravitate towards wining teams, I would argue that Identity is the most important thing surrounding a football club. Just take how people reacted over the re-brand for example. So trying not to get ahead of myself with premier talk but if we are able to get promoted, I think it would be pretty cool giving the premier league is the most watched league in the world, to make some changes to identify more of a welsh culture at Cardiff city games. I think doing so will make the next generation of fans in Wales more attached to Cardiff then to English teams because it wont be just about winning but welsh identity. Establishing a welsh culture could also engage us with more fans abroad because our culture would make us stand out from other premier league teams.

That's what I thought, but the alarming thing is that he probably is!

BlueDredd wrote:

The Jacks who were 9 & 10 then probably have 9 & 10 year olds themselves now :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:55 pm

I am a bit surprised that a lot of people reject the idea of having more symbolization of welsh culture especially if its had historical connections to Cardiff in the past. If you look there are many football teams around the world who does this. Celtic embraces their republic of Ireland/catholic traditions, Rangers embraces their connections to northern Ireland and the United Kingdom in general. Barcelona fc has embraced their Catalan culture. Even Mainz fc in Germany is known for embracing their historical town culture and despite them not being a successful team they have a loyal fan base who has a connection to them and not Bayern Munich or Borussia Dortmund. There are many other teams in Italy and France that also embraces their local history and culture, I just don't see why we can't do a better job of it ourselves.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:00 pm

llangainbluebird wrote:
Jock wrote:

can I just say Crystal Palace has someone carry an eagle out before games, which a lot of people most probaly find crazy but its to do with their tradition. So although i am not saying absoulty do this as it was only a suggestion, it wouldnt neccesairly be the most absurd idea in the world.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:48 pm

JJBluebird98 wrote:
llangainbluebird wrote:
Jock wrote:

can I just say Crystal Palace has someone carry an eagle out before games, which a lot of people most probaly find crazy but its to do with their tradition. So although i am not saying absoulty do this as it was only a suggestion, it wouldnt neccesairly be the most absurd idea in the world.

Not the worst but defo in bottom 3 ;)

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:58 pm

BlueDredd wrote:
Wayne S wrote:..... Jacks who were 9 or 10 when they got promoted are now coming of age. A few more seasons and they will be having kids. The success will stop them looking elsewhere.

Know what, I thought that when I read it back after posting.

Thank you for not letting me down. :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:25 pm

I see where you are coming from.

I've argued for a while that Cardiff need more of a Welsh connection to attract more fans, but mainly in the playing squad.

I don't mind the idea of the name change, seeing as it is also our national football stadium too.

The main thing is getting some more youngsters in the squad though. I like the current players, but it is a journeyman squad with no connection to the local area. The excitement around Bellamy coming to Cardiff has been unmatched since, mainly because we have had no exciting youngsters coming through to support.

Trollope tried to do this by bringing in Richards and Huws and playing John, but he just wasn't a great manager, and Huws and John just weren't Warnock players, so got the boot, a real shame in my eyes.

Cardiff is predominantly a club and has its own identity, but does need to embrace its local identity also.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Not for me. I'd actually like to see more Kairdiff cultural icons (which is unique) like Billy the seal, Frank Hennessy pin ups, Clark's pies and SA. And I'd rename the CCS the "Tiger Bay Bowl".

"I'll have half a dark in Roath Park and a Clark's pie' :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:39 pm

Supporting local players is always a plus point. We sorely been lacking that for bloody ages.

I don't think we need go down the 'Welsh culture' route in all honesty. Would like some old Super Furry Tracks and that'll do it for me :ayatollah:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:05 pm

City Slicker wrote:Not for me. I'd actually like to see more Kairdiff cultural icons (which is unique) like Billy the seal, Frank Hennessy pin ups, Clark's pies and SA. And I'd rename the CCS the "Tiger Bay Bowl".

Tidy!

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:20 pm

JimmyJazz wrote:
City Slicker wrote:Not for me. I'd actually like to see more Kairdiff cultural icons (which is unique) like Billy the seal, Frank Hennessy pin ups, Clark's pies and SA. And I'd rename the CCS the "Tiger Bay Bowl".

Tidy!

‘af tidy

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:32 pm

I don't think the English teams worry about culture, especially as most of the big sides are made up of foreign players. As far as local people supporting English sides are concerned, that has always been the same. When I was in school through the late 60's and early 70's, I was in the minority by being a City supporter. Most pupils in my school followed Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal, with a few being fans of Spurs and Man C. Fifty years later nothing much has changed. A couple of us in my local pub support Cardiff, but we are still in a minority with most of the regulars following the traditional big sides. In another 50 years, I predict nothing much will have changed.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:17 pm

Is it April the 1st already.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:24 pm

Steve Zodiak wrote:I don't think the English teams worry about culture, especially as most of the big sides are made up of foreign players. As far as local people supporting English sides are concerned, that has always been the same. When I was in school through the late 60's and early 70's, I was in the minority by being a City supporter. Most pupils in my school followed Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal, with a few being fans of Spurs and Man C. Fifty years later nothing much has changed. A couple of us in my local pub support Cardiff, but we are still in a minority with most of the regulars following the traditional big sides. In another 50 years, I predict nothing much will have changed.

I agree with the above and that is my experience as well......BUT.....?
Hats off to the OT for making some positive suggestions!! Its far easier to criticise ideas than come up with original thoughts.

I like the idea of thinking of a couple of things to make it a better Cardiff /Wales identity. Cardiff is part of Welsh culture. For example I speak

Personally I think the idea of 2 people dressing as miners is a bit naff- but its a suggestion. I have said many times on here that I think it would be great to play 'Yma o hyd' before each game. It is like a call to arms and let's the opposition know they are in Wales and there will be a battle to get any points. I bet if this was suggested to Warnock then he'd like the idea!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Anyway the OT is positive I am sure other fans have other / better ideas :bluebird:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:28 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WooUv0QttKs

Hope the YMA O HYS link works :thumbup:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:23 pm

Lengee wrote:
Steve Zodiak wrote:I don't think the English teams worry about culture, especially as most of the big sides are made up of foreign players. As far as local people supporting English sides are concerned, that has always been the same. When I was in school through the late 60's and early 70's, I was in the minority by being a City supporter. Most pupils in my school followed Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal, with a few being fans of Spurs and Man C. Fifty years later nothing much has changed. A couple of us in my local pub support Cardiff, but we are still in a minority with most of the regulars following the traditional big sides. In another 50 years, I predict nothing much will have changed.

I agree with the above and that is my experience as well......BUT.....?
Hats off to the OT for making some positive suggestions!! Its far easier to criticise ideas than come up with original thoughts.

I like the idea of thinking of a couple of things to make it a better Cardiff /Wales identity. Cardiff is part of Welsh culture. For example I speak

Personally I think the idea of 2 people dressing as miners is a bit naff- but its a suggestion. I have said many times on here that I think it would be great to play 'Yma o hyd' before each game. It is like a call to arms and let's the opposition know they are in Wales and there will be a battle to get any points. I bet if this was suggested to Warnock then he'd like the idea!
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Anyway the OT is positive I am sure other fans have other / better ideas :bluebird:

I wish there was a like button on this forum :thumbright:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:26 pm

JJBluebird98 wrote:
llangainbluebird wrote:
Jock wrote:

JJBluebird98, I admire your enthusiasm but just be thankful that we have kept our BLUEBIRDS nickname throughout the years - a lot of clubs have changed their nicknames over the years, so tradition is NOT a fact when it comes to Crystal Palace - used to be nicknamed - The Glaiziers(as in The Crystal Palace), think they changed it in the 80's - so many have changed.

At least WE can say that we have not.

Keep giving your views, all views I am sure are appreciated.

Blooobirds Forever !!! :thumbup: :bluescarf:

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:02 pm

I do see a lot of people have specifically picked out 'suggestion 5' as an idea they don't like. Fair enough as it was a suggestion, but how about the first 4 suggestions? or any new potential new ideas to reengage our club with its historical identity?

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:05 pm

Whilst I fully appreciate your enthusiasm and as another poster said kudos to you for making some positive suggestions but for me I think it all seems a little contrived.

You can't really force culture, and as fans we already strongly identify as Welsh.

Chants such as "Men of Harlech" "Sheep, Sheep Shaggers' and 'Always s**t on the English side of the Bridge' testify as to this but we also strongly identify as being Cardiff as a unique identity - hence the bitter rivalry with fellow Welsh Clubs in particular Swansea and that heritage would be at risk of being eroded if we tried to overplay the Welsh card unneccesarily.

As I think another poster mentioned - the only reason fans follow clubs from areas other than there hometown is success. There are Man Utd and Liverpool fans everywhere not just in Cardiff and that is because they have both had long, long periods of dominant success.

It's not an English/Welsh thing it is just to do with the fact that unless kids are taken down and catch the bug, they will invariably want to support the best team.

There are a number of pretty die-hard fans at the City who first got hooked during the early nineties watching Eddie May's side.

For me the reason for this was a) the side was relatively successful compared to the previous decade or so and the feel-good factor was huge back then, but also b) the club ran the very successful junior bluebirds program with tickets for kids being either free or just a quid.

Which meant, for example, my Dad could take me down to pretty much every game. He started taking me, he got the bug back himself and got me hooked, it became a ritual and a habit that we shared together.

If you're looking for suggestions to get the next generation of kids on board and increase attendances then I'd say something akin to this - i.e. something which encourages parents to take their kids down to games week in week out should be at the top of the list.

An offer like if you buy an adult ticket in the family end then you can buy up to three kids tickets at the same time for a fiver each or something perhaps?

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:54 pm

Lengee wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WooUv0QttKs

Hope the YMA O HYS link works :thumbup:

Love Yma o hyd it is uplifting and inspiring and I think it would lift the crowd if played before kick off :bluescarf: :old: