Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Re: Welsh Culture and Cardiff City

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:57 pm

I think the OP has raised some great ideas. There’s nothing on the list that would harm the club in any way, shape or form and could only be of benefit to the whole match day experience and atmosphere.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:58 pm

JJBluebird98 wrote:I am a bit surprised that a lot of people reject the idea of having more symbolization of welsh culture especially if its had historical connections to Cardiff in the past. If you look there are many football teams around the world who does this. Celtic embraces their republic of Ireland/catholic traditions, Rangers embraces their connections to northern Ireland and the United Kingdom in general. Barcelona fc has embraced their Catalan culture. Even Mainz fc in Germany is known for embracing their historical town culture and despite them not being a successful team they have a loyal fan base who has a connection to them and not Bayern Munich or Borussia Dortmund. There are many other teams in Italy and France that also embraces their local history and culture, I just don't see why we can't do a better job of it ourselves.

On this point...I think it is all about rivalries which begin by growing out from two successful teams building a long and sustained sporting rivalry and then that rivalry eventually bleeding out into wider cultural aspects.

Basically the identities are grown over a long period of time and thus cannot just be adopted.

If you think about it each of the clubs you mention directly (with the possible exception of Mainz who I must confess I know very little about) the culture and identity they have embraced is something very much unique to them at least within their local surroundings, but much more importantly it is something that differentiates them from and puts them at the direct opposite end of the spectrum in terms of ideologies/beliefs to their closest rivals.

Take Rangers and Celtic for example, they have been swapping back and forth in terms of success and dominance throughout their entire history which is why they both have a huge rivalry with each other but little rivalry with Queens Park. So their rivalry is huge on a sporting level but then that rivalry becomes interwoven with the other big rivalry in the area - the religious rivalry between Protestants and Catholics. Basically, by weaving religion into the fabric of their clubs they have been able to adopt the ultimate rivalry that transcends mere football.

Similarly, whilst there are other Catalonian clubs (Espanyol and I think possibly Girona(?) this season in La Liga), the rivalry between Barca and Madrid is very much initially based in sporting rivalry, the two have dominated La Liga forever and have a fierce sporting rivalry but here that rivalry is easily magnified by the two teams representing opposing sides of a civil war still in living memory for some folks.

The point I'm trying to get to (albeit badly I fear) is that for each of the three clubs you mention they embrace there identity as a way of separating and distinguishing them from their rivals, and essentially there identity is largely a product of those rivalries (or at least symbiotic in nature).

Our Welshness is the one thing we have in common with our main rivals who are only 40 miles one way whilst for our other main rival Bristol City, again the English/Welsh rivalry is absolutely already there in the mix already so no need to reinvent it.

Again I appreciate the thread it was food for thought but the more thought I give it I can't help but think you're looking for an answer to a problem that doesn't really exist, to be honest matey :thumbup:

Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:04 am

103 Barmy Army wrote:I think the OP has raised some great ideas. There’s nothing on the list that would harm the club in any way, shape or form and could only be of benefit to the whole match day experience and atmosphere.

I agree nothing that could particularly harm the club but it all just feels a little reminiscent of Sam's Celtic Dragon days which all felt a bit cringey, plasticky and unnecessary.

But then what do I know I'm a wine drinking monkey :ayatollah:

(that only makes sense on the desktop version of the site by the way :mrgreen: )

Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:33 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
103 Barmy Army wrote:I think the OP has raised some great ideas. There’s nothing on the list that would harm the club in any way, shape or form and could only be of benefit to the whole match day experience and atmosphere.

I agree nothing that could particularly harm the club but it all just feels a little reminiscent of Sam's Celtic Dragon days which all felt a bit cringey, plasticky and unnecessary.

But then what do I know I'm a wine drinking monkey :ayatollah:

(that only makes sense on the desktop version of the site by the way :mrgreen: )

:lol:

I lived and worked away from 1999 until 2014, including abroad, so I only watched the odd game here and there in Sam’s days so I’ll take your word on that one. :thumbup:

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:04 am

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
JJBluebird98 wrote:I am a bit surprised that a lot of people reject the idea of having more symbolization of welsh culture especially if its had historical connections to Cardiff in the past. If you look there are many football teams around the world who does this. Celtic embraces their republic of Ireland/catholic traditions, Rangers embraces their connections to northern Ireland and the United Kingdom in general. Barcelona fc has embraced their Catalan culture. Even Mainz fc in Germany is known for embracing their historical town culture and despite them not being a successful team they have a loyal fan base who has a connection to them and not Bayern Munich or Borussia Dortmund. There are many other teams in Italy and France that also embraces their local history and culture, I just don't see why we can't do a better job of it ourselves.

On this point...I think it is all about rivalries which begin by growing out from two successful teams building a long and sustained sporting rivalry and then that rivalry eventually bleeding out into wider cultural aspects.

Basically the identities are grown over a long period of time and thus cannot just be adopted.

If you think about it each of the clubs you mention directly (with the possible exception of Mainz who I must confess I know very little about) the culture and identity they have embraced is something very much unique to them at least within their local surroundings, but much more importantly it is something that differentiates them from and puts them at the direct opposite end of the spectrum in terms of ideologies/beliefs to their closest rivals.

Take Rangers and Celtic for example, they have been swapping back and forth in terms of success and dominance throughout their entire history which is why they both have a huge rivalry with each other but little rivalry with Queens Park. So their rivalry is huge on a sporting level but then that rivalry becomes interwoven with the other big rivalry in the area - the religious rivalry between Protestants and Catholics. Basically, by weaving religion into the fabric of their clubs they have been able to adopt the ultimate rivalry that transcends mere football.

Similarly, whilst there are other Catalonian clubs (Espanyol and I think possibly Girona(?) this season in La Liga), the rivalry between Barca and Madrid is very much initially based in sporting rivalry, the two have dominated La Liga forever and have a fierce sporting rivalry but here that rivalry is easily magnified by the two teams representing opposing sides of a civil war still in living memory for some folks.

The point I'm trying to get to (albeit badly I fear) is that for each of the three clubs you mention they embrace there identity as a way of separating and distinguishing them from their rivals, and essentially there identity is largely a product of those rivalries (or at least symbiotic in nature).

Our Welshness is the one thing we have in common with our main rivals who are only 40 miles one way whilst for our other main rival Bristol City, again the English/Welsh rivalry is absolutely already there in the mix already so no need to reinvent it.

Again I appreciate the thread it was food for thought but the more thought I give it I can't help but think you're looking for an answer to a problem that doesn't really exist, to be honest matey :thumbup:

Rangers were founded for purely sporting reasons and were signing Catholics before Celtic even existed. Celtic were founded by Irish Catholics for Irish Catholics, the sectarian divide emerged during the first WW in part because while many young Scots were being slaughtered in the French mud there was an uprising in Ireland, which had widespread support among the celtic support, similarly during WW2 celtic fans were censored for singing pro German songs. What that’s developed into now is an Uber Britishness v Plastic Paddywhackeryness, it’s quite messed up but makes for a great atmosphere and rivalry. Interestingly the Catholic Protestant rivalry that once existed in Dundee and Edinburgh has all but vanished. Anyway back to the OP I think Football culture/rivalry has to evolve organically because if the Club tried to create it, it would seem false and contrived. Look at Rugbywhere it’s all fireworks and shite so what was once a great atmosphere has now vanished.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:19 am

Anyone for Welsh cakes? Yummy

Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:45 am

Forget the welsh thing, that’s for Wales.
We need to concentrate on a Cardiff thing, a buzzing Capital City, half a million people right there within 15 miles and we barely get 10,000 of those people through the door. Very cosmopolitan place, lots going on, no one even knows football is happening.... :bluescarf:

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:49 am

Jock wrote:Uber Britishness v Plastic Paddywhackeryness

Best description of Rangers vs. Celtic rivalry in the 21st Century :clap: :lol:

Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:37 am

So some Protestants will support hibs? And some Catholics hearts?.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:20 am

I do not think it would work tbh, A Welsh Club with an English Manager, Malaysian owner, No Welsh Internationals playing in an English League, governed by the English FA, A mixture of nationalities working in the backrooms.

1. How would you get a mixture of different nationalities to buy into the Welsh thing?

I think we should reestablish the Cardiff City brand first and foremost, get the fans back in, reward the loyal ones, have a system for loyalty much like Wales do for Away games.

Bin the membership system for Away travel but season ticket holders have first shout on away travel tickets.

Change the size of Bartley the Bluebirds head to something that looks like a Bluebird and not Orville the Duck.

Reintroduce the kit of old to potentially stir memories in those who have left.

Pay for away travel coaches (Cheaper for fans and an incentive)

Obviously some will disagree but that's how we go about coming up with good or shit ideas and put it forward to the club. :ayatollah: :bluebird:

CARDIFF FIRST WALES SECOND

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:11 pm

skiprat wrote:So some Protestants will support hibs? And some Catholics hearts?.

Yes mate, in truth Scotland is as secular as Wales and very few attend any type of church at all. It’s all a throwback to years past.sso people identify as Protestant or Catholic but don’t have ny actual faith. Cardiff are a football team with no baggage it’s purely about the football, we don’t need giant eagles carrying coal miners out before kick off.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:34 pm

ealing_ayatollah wrote:
Jock wrote:Uber Britishness v Plastic Paddywhackeryness

Best description of Rangers vs. Celtic rivalry in the 21st Century :clap: :lol:

Yes, very nicely put.

Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:40 pm

goats wrote:Forget the welsh thing, that’s for Wales.
We need to concentrate on a Cardiff thing, a buzzing Capital City, half a million people right there within 15 miles and we barely get 10,000 of those people through the door. Very cosmopolitan place, lots going on, no one even knows football is happening.... :bluescarf:

I'm a Cardiffian myself, but our fan base goes much wider than the city. That's our main strength as a support.