Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

How do they do it ( wolves, derby, etc)

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:07 pm

its been well documented that Wolves, Derby and indeed Shef Wed have spent large amounts on players over the last year or so.
In today's football finances a club's major income stream comes from TV money, and not so much from gate income. If i was a betting man I would say TV money would make up 60 - 70% of the clubs income these days, therefore a clubs income should not vary that greatly throughout the league. All clubs are subject to FFP, therefore how can the likes of Wolves, Derby and Sheff Wed spend the big bucks on players and still be compliant with FFP :old:

Re: How do they do it ( wolves, derby, etc)

Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Whistler wrote:its been well documented that Wolves, Derby and indeed Shef Wed have spent large amounts on players over the last year or so.
In today's football finances a club's major income stream comes from TV money, and not so much from gate income. If i was a betting man I would say TV money would make up 60 - 70% of the clubs income these days, therefore a clubs income should not vary that greatly throughout the league. All clubs are subject to FFP, therefore how can the likes of Wolves, Derby and Sheff Wed spend the big bucks on players and still be compliant with FFP :old:

The simple answer is, they probably aren't compliant with the FFP.
I'm sure the punishment is usually a fine which doesn't really bother clubs like Wolves as they have millions to throw away.
Could be wrong but that's the way I see it.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:00 pm

They will rely on promotion to pay their FFP fines. It's if they d9nt go up they may need to worry.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:03 pm

Also bear in mind Derby brought in about 20million when selling players

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Wayne S wrote:They will rely on promotion to pay their FFP fines. It's if they d9nt go up they may need to worry.

If they get promoted do they even have top pay the fine? I'm sure when QPR went up a few years ago they spent a fortune, breached FFP, but the EFL couldn't fine them as they were part of the Premier League not EFL.
I can't remember exactly how it was resolved but ridiculous to think clubs might get away with it on that basis.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:07 pm

hotwings wrote:
Wayne S wrote:They will rely on promotion to pay their FFP fines. It's if they d9nt go up they may need to worry.

If they get promoted do they even have top pay the fine? I'm sure when QPR went up a few years ago they spent a fortune, breached FFP, but the EFL couldn't fine them as they were part of the Premier League not EFL.
I can't remember exactly how it was resolved but ridiculous to think clubs might get away with it on that basis.

I don't think its anything to do with the PL or EFL... I think it's a FA thing maybe.

The fine will stand but I'm sure someone said its only about a million quid ? perhaps its a percentage of some sort, not really sure.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:12 pm

QPR lost their fight against their FFP fine and have had to pay 40million.

Bournemouth have been fined 7.6million, which they are fighting but as they went up the money is there to pay it I suppose.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:25 pm

Isn’t there a restriction on their transfer buying?

Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:45 pm

There's more too it than meets the eye.
If you take the piss they will try and make a point (like QPR)
they would only likely deduct points if its repeat offending.

But it's easily avoidable with offshore accounts... Only takes someone like Langstone to sponsor the stadium for 10M over 3 years...

Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:40 pm

bluebird7291 wrote:There's more too it than meets the eye.
If you take the piss they will try and make a point (like QPR)
they would only likely deduct points if its repeat offending.

But it's easily avoidable with offshore accounts... Only takes someone like Langstone to sponsor the stadium for 10M over 3 years...

When entering into an agreement like naming rights it has to be commercially appropriate eg can't be 20m if normally such things are 5m that's to stop clubs getting around ffp there are other things in place to stop owners doing same as well.

Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:53 pm

You need to be compliant over 3 seasons I believe so if your gamble pays off within that time your laughing if not then it could be serious down the line