Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Mysterious Penalty

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:24 am

I was as bemused as anyone when the ref (Who was crap) give a penalty to Brum yesterday. I watched the Championship highlights last night and I am still bemused. I could not see any clear foul just your normal jostling and along with the penalty given against Bamba at Bolton they must be the 2 harshest penalties conceded this season??? :o :old:

Re: The Mysterious Penalty

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:46 am

I had a direct view of the pull and said penalty as soon as I saw it. Personally I thought little contact and over exaggerated dive from Junior so I thought the ref was right on both counts.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:13 am

salopiancity wrote:I had a direct view of the pull and said penalty as soon as I saw it. Personally I thought little contact and over exaggerated dive from Junior so I thought the ref was right on both counts.

The ref obviously spotted something that 99% of people in the ground didn't

If you notice on the replay not one Brum player appealed and they were as bemused as the Cardiff players when it was given

Holliett made a meal of his challenge but he was definitely tripped

The Ref was just completely inept from start to finish

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 am

Having seen replays of both incidents I am as bemused as I was at the time. The Brum penalty should never have been given. If you give that you will be giving penalties for jostling at every corner. And the foul on Hoillet was a stone wall pen! I've never known a season where we've been on the wrong end of so many atrocious decisions!

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:17 am

salopiancity wrote:I had a direct view of the pull and said penalty as soon as I saw it. Personally I thought little contact and over exaggerated dive from Junior so I thought the ref was right on both counts.

Little contact so he was kicked but just slightly? You do know he was about to kick ball so was standing on one leg would you stay up if someone hit your ankle whilst on one leg? He could do a double pike with twist doesn't matter if there is contact in that situation. As for pen obviously the pull was on family stand side of play but forgot refs have xray vision and can see through players!! :roll:

Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:31 am

There was a pull on the shirt that in my view is a free kick, and being in the 18 yard box was therefore a penalty. However, this sort of thing seems to happen in every match every time a corner kick is taken. Refs either have to give a penalty or a defensive free kick each time a corner is taken in the hope they can cut this out of the game, or accept that this has now become an acceptable part of the game. Inconsistency is the problem, it happens for virtually all corners, but once in a blue moon a ref will actually give a penalty. Personally, I think this constant wrestling match that seems to take place each time a corner is about to be taken needs to be sorted out. Refs should give penalties every time they see an attacking player being held back at a corner. They would give a free kick anywhere else on the pitch but yet it almost appears to be in order to commit the same foul if it is in the area while a corner kick is being taken. All very confusing. Consistency is needed so we all know where we stand.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 am

The Birmingham Mail described the penalty decision as 'soft'.

Monk said in the post-match interview that the trip on Hoilett could easily have been given as a penalty.

When even the Brum manager and press are questioning the ref on the two big decisions - that were in their favour - you know he had a stinker!

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:44 am

Steve Zodiak wrote:

There was a pull on the shirt that in my view is a free kick, and being in the 18 yard box was therefore a penalty. However, this sort of thing seems to happen in every match every time a corner kick is taken. Refs either have to give a penalty or a defensive free kick each time a corner is taken in the hope they can cut this out of the game, or accept that this has now become an acceptable part of the game. Inconsistency is the problem, it happens for virtually all corners, but once in a blue moon a ref will actually give a penalty. Personally, I think this constant wrestling match that seems to take place each time a corner is about to be taken needs to be sorted out. Refs should give penalties every time they see an attacking player being held back at a corner. They would give a free kick anywhere else on the pitch but yet it almost appears to be in order to commit the same foul if it is in the area while a corner kick is being taken. All very confusing. Consistency is needed so we all know where we stand.

Evidence for VAR.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:54 am

What was frustrating about the Birmingham penalty was what happened in the first half - he stopped play at one of our corners to speak to defender, presumably about shirt pulling. Doesn’t give it, but then gives one against us without the same warning.

It made me take more notice of how we defend afterwards - Peltier time and again wraps his arms around their players. Very high risk given the circumstances.

As for Junior - I thought he dived when I saw it live; having watched the replay I still can’t see contact?