Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

" Cardiff shouldn't really even be in the top six "

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:45 pm

" Cardiff shouldn't really even be in the top six "

It's time this Cardiff City team were given more respect after defying the odds, pundits and rival fans so spectacularly.

Wednesday 14th March 2018

By Paul Abbandonato

Cardiff, under Warnock, are that 2017-18 exception. Pound for pound, they shouldn't really even be in the top six, let alone pushing so hard for a top two finish.

Warnock has spent no more than £8m on players for this season. And most of that went on Lee Tomlin, Omar Bogle, Danny Ward and Gary Madine, who have either been loaned out elsewhere or played second fiddle to the ace that is Kenneth Zohore.

Wolves spent £15.8m on one player alone. Ruben Neves is special, but worth one and a half times Cardiff's total outlay?

Middlesbrough parted with £50m, including £15m on striker Britt Assombalonga. Fulham forked out £19m, Leeds £20m.

Steve Bruce's Aston Villa, who trail Cardiff in the table, have spent a vast fortune over the past two seasons compiling a Championship squad of gold-dust. An outlay of £27m went on strikers Scott Hogan and Jonathan Kodija alone. John Terry's wages wouldn't have come cheap, either.

Ruben Neves cost Wolves £15m...

Against that financial backdrop Cardiff have no right to be pushing so hard for top spot. Perhaps that is why their challenge hasn't been viewed as totally credible by outsiders.

But credible it most certainly is. Just take a peek at the league table.

As with Leicester under Claudio Ranieri, Cardiff are a Championship example of how you can succeed without money. Brilliant management, coupled with a fantastic dressing room spirit, can go a fair way towards closing any financial gulf.

Cardiff have kind of been here before with Warnock, only with the boot on the other foot.

Back in 2010-11 the Bluebirds had the most star-studded team in the division. Bellamy, Bothroyd, Chopra to strike fear into any defence, Whittingham scoring bundles from midfield, the excellent duo of Tom Heaton and David Marshall vying for the goalkeeper's jersey.

Yet a QPR side containing far less stellar names such as Fitz Hall, Clint Hill, Bradley Orr, Jamie Mackie, Tommy Smith and Heidar Helgusson ended up winning the league.

Yes they had the glitter from Adel Taarabt, but their success was built upon power, organisation and mental fortitude which emanated from their manager.

Who just happened to be Neil Warnock.

Fast forward seven years and you see those exact same qualities in Warnock's current Bluebirds. That dressing room togetherness, resilience and will to win is worth 10 times any £15m striker. In fact, they are priceless qualities.

Experts always say you build your team around a strong spine. In Sol Bamba/Sean Morrison, Marko Grujc, Calum Paterson and Kenneth Zohore, Cardiff possess the most powerful one in the league. It is precisely the foundation they need at this stage of the season when the pressure is on and the going gets tough.

Cardiff City's togetherness demonstrated as they celebrate Sol Bamba's goal (Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)
And so here we are. Just nine games to go. Next up for Cardiff are Derby away where, given events of Tuesday night, a point would be a good result. Don't put another away win beyond them, mind.

Then comes the international break, the chance for the walking wounded like Aron Gunnarsson to return, before the final eight match run-in. Burton, Wolves, Nottm Forest and Reading at home, Sheffield United, Aston Villa, Norwich and Hull on Cardiff's travels.

People say it's the toughest run-in for any of the promotion hopefuls. Perhaps, but Cardiff have given themselves leeway. They can afford a few slip-ups, the others can't. Time is running out.

Just like it did for Arsenal, Spurs, Manchester United and Manchester City when Leicester won the league.

Warnock says he loves the fact that his Bluebirds have been going under the radar. Fair enough.

But it's got to the stage where the football world deserves to give Cardiff City's Class of 2018 greater respect.

Warnock's men are the real deal. If you want further proof, just look at the table.

Re: " Cardiff shouldn't really even be in the top six "

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:46 pm

8m? I don't think warnock would agree with that figure..

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:52 pm

This is the strongest the championship has ever been, which why it's the most impressive season we've ever had.

Shoestring budget, and we're pushing for promotion with the likes of Middlesbrough, Leeds, Fulham, Derby, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday all well behind, and only 3 points adrift of Wolves. All very big clubs, with very good squads.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 pm

BlueDredd wrote:This is the strongest the championship has ever been, which why it's the most impressive season we've ever had.

Shoestring budget, and we're pushing for promotion with the likes of Middlesbrough, Leeds, Fulham, Derby, Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday all well behind, and only 3 points adrift of Wolves. All very big clubs, with very good squads.

Not sure I agree with that.

2 of the 3 teams who came down have been absolute garbage, the other bang average.

Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday both got rid of their managers.

Despite what many say we all ready had the nucleus of a good squad and a few additions has proved that.

Strongest Championship ever? Not for me.

Also, hardly on a shoestring, 2 of our back four cost the best part of 10 million alone.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:58 pm

RV Casual wrote:
BlueDredd wrote:This is the strongest the championship has ever been, which why it's the most impressive season we've ever had.

2 of the 3 teams who came down have been absolute garbage, the other bang average.

Despite what many say we all ready had the nucleus of a good squad and a few additions has proved that.

Also, hardly on a shoestring, 2 of our back four cost the best part of 10 million alone.

You've completely missed what I'm getting at. When was the last time you saw the Championship have this much money spent, and such big clubs in it? Yes other teams have been shite, but that's because there are 15 - 20 very good sides in it, that on their day will beat any of the top 6. Look at the caliber of players that even the mid tables sides have!

10 million on 2 of our defenders? Manga was around 4 mil, bought 4 years ago, and where's the other 6?

Hardly the 15 million Wolves spent on Neves, and before that the 15 million on Costa.

The media, Cardiff fans, and even Neil Warnock has openly spoken about our tiny budget.. But it's never like you to disagree mate I'll give you that. :lol:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:21 pm

BlueDredd wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

You've completely missed what I'm getting at. When was the last time you saw the Championship have this much money spent, and such big clubs in it? Yes other teams have been shite, but that's because there are 15 - 20 very good sides in it, that on their day will beat any of the top 6. Look at the caliber of players that even the mid tables sides have!

10 million on 2 of our defenders? Manga was around 4 mil, bought 4 years ago, and where's the other 6?

Hardly the 15 million Wolves spent on Neves, and before that the 15 million on Costa.

The media, Cardiff fans, and even Neil Warnock has openly spoken about our tiny budget.. But it's never like you to disagree mate I'll give you that. :lol:

Chill out will you. Its just my opinion I don't happen to think this is the strongest Championship there's ever been, i'm sure some will agree with me and some won't.

According to transfer market website which is genearly used as a marker Manga was 5.5m and Morrison was 3.7m ie best part of 10m.

I'm not arguing with you there have been some strong Championships over the years and I'm just saying we are hardly on a shoestring budget.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:25 pm

We are though compared to others:

Etheridgr: under 500k
Bennett: free
Manga: 4m?
Morrison: 3m?
Bamba: free
Ralls: academy
Gunnar: free
Damour: under 500k
Hoilett: free
Mendez laing: under 500k
Zohore: was it under 1m?
Patterson: free

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Be Blue wrote:We are though compared to others:

Of course mate yeah but then to others in the division we have spent a bit so I wouldn't say we are on a 'shoestring budget' pereanaly but as I said above its just an opinion.

Look, we have done awsome I'm not disputing that didn't join this thread for anow argument was just an opinion on BD's post.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:53 pm

I'm pretty sure Etheridge, Damour and Mendez were all free transfers as they were at the end of their contracts. Although Paterson is also technically free we did reportedly pay 400k compensation fee to hearts.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:05 pm

TrueBlue99 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Etheridge, Damour and Mendez were all free transfers as they were at the end of their contracts. Although Paterson is also technically free we did reportedly pay 400k compensation fee to hearts.

We are paying some heavy wages aswell mate, you don't get the likes of Hoilett, Bamba, Bennett, Patterson even Jazz on peanuts, we are NOT on a shoestring by any stretch of the imagination is all I'm saying.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:35 pm

BlueDredd wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

well NW will say hes on a shoestring budget thats the way he likes to be percieved boosts his ego! :laughing6: but in reality we have spent fair bit on wages for our freebies as they would not be cheap thats for sure and not forgetting the several millions we probably have paid for likes of madine ect ect, whilst not biggest spenders we certainly are not doing it on the shoestring being mentioned. :thumbup:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:37 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
BlueDredd wrote:
RV Casual wrote:

well NW will say hes on a shoestring budget thats the way he likes to be percieved boosts his ego! :laughing6: but in reality we have spent fair bit on wages for our freebies as they would not be cheap thats for sure and not forgetting the several millions we probably have paid for likes of madine ect ect, whilst not biggest spenders we certainly are not doing it on the shoestring being mentioned. :thumbup:

Thank You PB, a bit of sense, NW has done a fantastic job but talk of a 'shoestring' budget is ludicrous.