Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Mark Hughes new Southampton Manager...WHY???

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Mark Hughes announced as new Soton Manager??

It amazes me that people like Hughes, Pardew, Moyes etc keep getting more chances in the Premier league when their biggest achievement is getting other premier league teams relegated or getting sacked with their teams in the relegation zone

Why do failures keep getting new massively paid jobs with very little on the CVs to warrant these jobs??

Mark Hughes: Southampton appoint former Stoke manager until end of season

BBC

Mark Hughes says his "affinity" with Southampton is the reason he agreed to take charge of the Premier League strugglers until the end of the season.

The former Stoke boss replaces Mauricio Pellegrino, who was sacked on Monday with the club one point above the relegation zone after one win in 17.

"The objective is to make sure we're a Premier League club next year," Hughes said. "That's where we should be."

Hughes was sacked by Stoke in January, with the club in the bottom three.

The Welshman, 54, had been with Stoke for four and a half years and has taken charge of 445 Premier League matches for the Potters, Blackburn, Manchester City, Fulham, QPR.

He started his managerial career with five years in charge of his country.

Hughes spent two years at Southampton from 1998 to 2000 in a 22-year playing career that also included spells at Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona.

"It's a challenge I'm excited by. It's a great opportunity to come back to a club I know well, and a club I've got real affinity with, and I couldn't turn that down," Hughes said.

"I understand what it takes in this league to win games. But it's about coming in and being that different voice that will enable the players to recognise and focus on what needs to be done."

Hughes' first game will be Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final against League One side Wigan.

Southampton were beaten 3-0 by Newcastle on Saturday and their next league game is away to fellow strugglers West Ham on 31 March.

Hughes is the club's fifth permanent manager in the five years since Mauricio Pochettino, now Spurs manager, replaced Nigel Adkins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Mark Hughes new Southampton Manager...WHY???

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:49 pm

oohahhPaulMillar wrote:Mark Hughes announced as new Soton Manager??

It amazes me that people like Hughes, Pardew, Moyes etc keep getting more chances in the Premier league when their biggest achievement is getting other premier league teams relegated or getting sacked with their teams in the relegation zone

Why do failures keep getting new massively paid jobs with very little on the CVs to warrant these jobs??

Easy,they are all British managers and will only be employed by clubs with a crap budget.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:14 am

Mark Hughes: Southampton appoint former Stoke manager until end of season

BBC

Mark Hughes says his "affinity" with Southampton is the reason he agreed to take charge of the Premier League strugglers until the end of the season.

The former Stoke boss replaces Mauricio Pellegrino, who was sacked on Monday with the club one point above the relegation zone after one win in 17.

"The objective is to make sure we're a Premier League club next year," Hughes said. "That's where we should be."

Hughes was sacked by Stoke in January, with the club in the bottom three.

The Welshman, 54, had been with Stoke for four and a half years and has taken charge of 445 Premier League matches for the Potters, Blackburn, Manchester City, Fulham, QPR.

He started his managerial career with five years in charge of his country.

Hughes spent two years at Southampton from 1998 to 2000 in a 22-year playing career that also included spells at Manchester United, Chelsea and Barcelona.

"It's a challenge I'm excited by. It's a great opportunity to come back to a club I know well, and a club I've got real affinity with, and I couldn't turn that down," Hughes said.

"I understand what it takes in this league to win games. But it's about coming in and being that different voice that will enable the players to recognise and focus on what needs to be done."

Hughes' first game will be Sunday's FA Cup quarter-final against League One side Wigan.

Southampton were beaten 3-0 by Newcastle on Saturday and their next league game is away to fellow strugglers West Ham on 31 March.

Hughes is the club's fifth permanent manager in the five years since Mauricio Pochettino, now Spurs manager, replaced Nigel Adkins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am

I think he will save them

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:03 am

They are desperate the go to Managers (Pullis & Allerdyce) to stay in the League are taken, they need a new Manager bounce, and he was the most experienced unemployed Manager available.

Tough job, they have a difficult run in, he could well take them down !!!

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:28 am

Beats me! He's crap as a manager. Great player though.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:35 am

mark hughes has plenty of experience and done well at premier league level

who do you want a club like southampton to get as manager?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:55 am

paulh_85 wrote:mark hughes has plenty of experience and done well at premier league level

who do you want a club like southampton to get as manager?

I agree - he isn't a bad manager at PL level. I do wonder though how the others such as Pardew keep getting jobs, as they are in for a season or two and then fired with a big pay off as their current club are in or near the drop zone. I would take a chance on some of the younger managers outside PL if I was the chairman of these clubs. No more risky and probably cheaper than most of the has beens on the merry go round.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:25 pm

Southampton had no other choice, so they pick a manager that was sacked by Stoke who are also in relegation trouble :lol:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Im not Hughes biggest fan but he has experience at that level, he was available and not a bad shout until the end of the season.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Decent manager, Hughes.
Except for this season he’s done well at Stoke and kept them punching way above their weight.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:45 pm

Apparently Mark Hughes has never been relegated from the PL as a manager. I’m surprised he’s putting that record at risk with Southampton so he must feel he can pull them around. I wonder what he’d be like at a club with a big budget.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:52 pm

noisycat wrote:Apparently Mark Hughes has never been relegated from the PL as a manager. I’m surprised he’s putting that record at risk with Southampton so he must feel he can pull them around. I wonder what he’d be like at a club with a big budget.

He was at man city - he bought Robinho don't forget :thumbright:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:02 pm

noisycat wrote:Apparently Mark Hughes has never been relegated from the PL as a manager. I’m surprised he’s putting that record at risk with Southampton so he must feel he can pull them around. I wonder what he’d be like at a club with a big budget.

He's a good manager I think(a lot better than Giggs). And like you said he's never taken a side down.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:58 pm

When Hughes was at Man City, was the club owned by the current owners?

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:15 pm

noisycat wrote:When Hughes was at Man City, was the club owned by the current owners?

Appointed under the previous (crooked) owner Thaksin Shinawatra in mid 2008 and sacked by the current owner Sheikh Mansour in December 2009.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Sacked by Stoke mainly because of the pressure from the fans. Their fans seem to think they’re bigger than they are - hounded Pulis out as well.

Hughes can’t lose at Southampton this season. They stay up, and he’s saved them. If they go down, he can say he was brought in too late and the damage was already done.