Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Neil Warnock: " Aron Gunnarsson "

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:05 am

International return a big boost

BBC

Thursday 15th March 2018

NEIL WARNOCK: ARON GUNNARSSON

Cardiff are ready to welcome Aron Gunnarsson back for the Championship promotion run-in after manager Neil Warnock revealing he has recommended the midfielder plays for Iceland during next week's international break.

Gunnarsson was the Bluebirds player of the year last season, but has made just 12 appearances this term with an ankle injury ruling him out of action since November.

But Warnock has given the green light for national captain Gunnarsson to play for his homeland against Mexico in San Francisco as Iceland warm-up for this summer's World Cup.

Gunnarsson has not figured for Cardiff since the 1-0 win at Barnsley in November following ankle surgery, but is now tipped to return for their fixture with Burton at the end of the month.

Warnock said: "Gunnars is training hard. I'm going to go and have a look at him to see what he's like because hopefully he's going to go away in the international week and play a game for Iceland, or play an hour."

Iceland play Mexico on March 23 before facing Peru in New Jersey four days later with Cardiff's Championship fixtures resuming when they play Burton at Cardiff City Stadium on Friday March 30.

"He'll miss the second game and be available for Burton," Warnock added. "I've spoken to Iceland and I recommended it. The under-23s are no good for him, the pitch is not up to standard, so I've said if he can get himself fit for the international break he can go away with them, have an hour in the first game and then second game he'll give it a miss and come back and prepare for Burton."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Neil Warnock: " Aron Gunnarsson "

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:10 am

Great Management, tells Gunner go at get some game time, you will have to fight for your place and prove to me your good enough playing for Iceland because we cant put you straight back in.

Gunner benefits, the club benefits, and Iceland benefit doing their bit to get him back playing.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:54 am

So in other words he'll play 2x 90 mins for iceland!

Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:56 pm

Hopefully he will settle straight back in :bluescarf: