Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ RYAN GIGGS ANNOUNCES WALES SQUAD, CAPTAIN & STAFF “

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:11 pm

“ RYAN GIGGS ANNOUNCES WALES SQUAD, CAPTAIN & STAFF “

BBC

Thursday 15th March 2018

Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey was a notable absentee as Ryan Giggs named his Wales squad for the China Cup on Thursday.

Giggs, naming his first squad since his appointment in January, said Ramsey was to have a "small procedure" during the international break.

Reading midfielder David Edwards is not included and has retired from international football.

Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale is the squad.

Uncapped Brentford defender Chris Mepham is also included, while there are first call-ups for Connor Roberts, Billy Bodin and Michael Crowe.

Ramsey is expected to play for Arsenal in the second leg of their Europa League tie with AC Milan on Thursday, but Giggs accepted the international break was "a good time for Aaron" to have the procedure.

Everton defender Ashley Williams will continue as Wales captain, Giggs confirmed.

West Brom striker Hal Robson-Kanu is absent, as is Sheffield United winger David Brooks, who is not risked as he recovers from glandular fever. Brooks is instead named in the Wales' under-21 squad.

Liverpool goalkeeper Danny Ward is not in the squad because of an issue with his visa while defender Paul Dummett asked not to be considered as he wants to focus on Newcastle's Premier League relegation battle.

Giggs confirmed Osian Roberts, Tony Roberts, Albert Stuivenberg and Tony Strudwick as his backroom team ahead of the China Cup.

Wales will play hosts China in one of two games in Nanning before facing either Uruguay or the Czech Republic.

Former Manchester United coach Stuivenberg has had spells as manager of Belgian First Division club Genk and the Netherlands under-17 and under-21 teams, as well as youth coach at Feyenoord and Al Jazira Club.

Former assistant manager Roberts and goalkeeping coach Roberts will retain roles in the new-look management team.

Strudwick, Manchester United's Head of Athletic Development, replaces Dr Ryland Morgans as Head of Performance who has taken up a similar role with England.

Williams, 33, was appointed Wales skipper by Coleman in October 2012, leading the side during their historic run to the Euro 2016 semi-finals.

The 76-cap centre-back ruled out international retirement last autumn, despite admitting his 'devastation' at Wales' October defeat to the Republic of Ireland that ended hopes of qualification for the 2018 World Cup.

The decision to retain Everton defender Williams as skipper after a difficult season with his club was an easy one, according to Giggs.

"I saw no reason for change," he said.

"A couple of weeks ago I had a meeting with all the staff in Manchester for us to get to know each other and Ash came along, he's a big part of that, he's been a brilliant servant both as player and captain.

"There's no reason to change. He's getting to the end of his career so it's something will have to look at in the future but he's been a brilliant captain on and off the pitch and he'll continue to do that."

FULL WALES SQUAD

Wayne Hennessey
Chris Maxwell
Michael Crowe

Ashley Williams
James Chester
Ben Davies
Chris Gunter
Neil Taylor
Declan John
Connor Roberts
Ethan Ampadu
Christopher Mepham
Tom Lockyer

Joe Ledley
Lee Evans
Joe Allen
Andy King
Ryan Hedges
Marley Watkins

Gareth Bale
Tom Lawrence
Ben Woodburn
Harry Wilson
Billy Bodin
Sam Vokes
Tom Bradshaw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: “ RYAN GIGGS ANNOUNCES WALES SQUAD, CAPTAIN & STAFF “

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:26 pm

Still can't believe this idiot is the Welsh manager :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:27 pm

FULL WALES SQUAD

Wayne Hennessey
Chris Maxwell
Michael Crowe

Ashley Williams
James Chester
Ben Davies
Chris Gunter
Neil Taylor
Declan John
Connor Roberts
Ethan Ampadu
Christopher Mepham
Tom Lockyer

Joe Ledley
Lee Evans
Joe Allen
Andy King
Ryan Hedges
Marley Watkins

Gareth Bale
Tom Lawrence
Ben Woodburn
Harry Wilson
Billy Bodin
Sam Vokes
Tom Bradshaw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:28 pm

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Still can't believe this idiot is the Welsh manager :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Liam, I dont rate Giggs one bit, but we have no other choice but to back him :cry:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:32 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:Still can't believe this idiot is the Welsh manager :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Liam, I dont rate Giggs one bit, but we have no other choice but to back him :cry:

Personally I think we will go backwards under him, can't stand Giggs.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:37 pm

Wolfpac wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

Personally I think we will go backwards under him, can't stand Giggs.

I'll back him fully as I would've with Bellamy but I would've preferred Roberts or Pulis :thumbright:

Can we sing the Ryan Giggs song : -

Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs running down the wing
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs he's Sh***ing Imogen
He's Sh***ed her up the Sh**ter and now its all on twitter
Ryan Giggs, Ryan Giggs....

I'm sure he'd be delighted :laughing6:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Well said mate, we have to back him and he is an unknown, it could work out well, time will tell

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

:thumbup:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:59 pm

:thumbright:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:52 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

Totally agree i didnt want Coleman but backed him I will give him a chance

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:10 pm

Was not my prefered choice but then again who was, not with the Bellamy love in so Giggs will get my backing and we will see what happens come September, not bothered about China Cup