Neil Warnock reveals why he won't actually play 'defender'

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Postby Forever Blue » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:35 am

Neil Warnock reveals why he won't actually play 'defender' Callum Paterson in defence

Friday 16th March 2018

The Scot was signed as a right-back but is playing as a goal-scoring midfielder

Neil Warnock's decision to play Callum Paterson in an advanced midfield position has turned out to be a masterstroke in recent weeks and now the Cardiff City boss has revealed why the Scotsman doesn't play in defence.

Paterson arrived from Hearts in the summer as a goal-scoring right-back but has played the majority of his appearances for Cardiff on the wing or in central midfield.

His goal at Brentford on Tuesday night took his tally to eight for the season - three in his last three - as Cardiff continue to cope without injured midfield trio Aron Gunnarsson, Joe Ralls and Craig Bryson.

Warnock admitted he wasn't sure where Paterson would fit when the Scotland international first arrived in South Wales, despite plenty of fanfare surrounding the 23-year-old.

"When I signed him, I knew he would score six or seven goals as a full-back but what I didn’t know is that he can’t defend," laughed Warnock.

"So he was never going to be a right-back and we had to put him somewhere else.

"It’s his energy and his desire, we have to hold him back at times in training, it’s just full-on enthusiasm.

"The Hearts fans loved him and he definitely has a role in the wing-back position (for Scotland) as well because he’s a bundle of energy and he’s good from set pieces.

"It was just a matter of trying to find a role. I said to Blacky (Cardiff assistant boss Kevin Blackwell) we need goals from midfield so it was a matter of who is likely score goals - that’s why I put him in there.

"Paterson has that ability to score goals from nowhere, he reads things and he’s irreplaceable at the moment."

Callum Paterson of Cardiff City scores City's second goal
The Bluebirds will continue without both Gunnarsson and Ralls against Derby on Sunday, with on-loan Rams star Bryson ineligible against his parent club.

But Warnock is hopeful both will return after the international break, as he revealed Gunnarsson will travel with Iceland next week for their friendlies against Mexico and Peru.

"We’re not going to risk anybody (at Derby)," Warnock added.

"Gunnarsson is training with us now, he’s in the mix of it and it’ll be good to see him back in the fray. He’s going to play the first half with Iceland next week to see how it goes.

Other Cardiff players on international duty next week also include Paterson, Junior Hoilett, Bruno Manga and Neil Etheridge.

And after slamming Football League scheduling for arranging Cardiff's clash with Burton for Friday 30 March (just days after some midweek internationals), Warnock was more hopeful of how he can manage his squad.

"We’ve only got one, Paterson, who is in Hungary on the Tuesday. So I’ve spoken to Alex (McLeish, Scotland manager) and we’re going to work out getting him back as soon as possible so he can rest.

"Alex is aware of our situation so you just hope we can come to some agreement. The other lads should be back, Bruno finishes on the Monday so a number should be back to Wales on the Wednesday at the latest."

Warnock also revealed he would manage the playing time of in-form goalkeeper Etheridge, who has an important Asian Cup qualification match for Philippines against Tajikstan on Tuesday March 27 before returning to the Welsh capital.

"We’ve been in good discussions with the Philippines," added Warnock.

"He hasn’t had any time off so he will miss the friendly game (against Fiji on Thursday 22) and fly out later. Both games are on plastic and I wouldn’t like be a goalkeeper on plastic, I wouldn’t want to be a keeper on grass!

"He’s done really well.

"It’s like looking at a different keeper. It’s been difficult coming to a big club – no disrespect to Walsall – and a big league. He’s going to make mistakes, there’s going to be scrutiny on him, but I think he’s taken it very well. He’s been fantastic."
Annis Jnr Author and Publisher of 7 Books.

My 7th Book is Available Now "MY STORY"

http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/books/buy-books/
http://www.annisabraham.co.uk/news/

My email : annisabraham@aol.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/annisabraham
Forever Blue
Admin

Advertisement

Advertisement
Login or Register to remove this ad.

Re: Neil Warnock reveals why he won't actually play 'defende

Postby Tony Blue Williams » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Without a doubt CP is the signing of the season. NW has got it spot on his present position is perfect for him and if he carries on developing he is going to be a very big player for club and country.
Tony Blue Williams

Postby 2blue2handle » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:57 am

Tony Blue Williams wrote:Without a doubt CP is the signing of the season. NW has got it spot on his present position is perfect for him and if he carries on developing he is going to be a very big player for club and country.

Concerning he signed a right back who can't defend mind.
2blue2handle

Postby paulh_85 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:18 am

2blue2handle wrote:
Tony Blue Williams wrote:Without a doubt CP is the signing of the season. NW has got it spot on his present position is perfect for him and if he carries on developing he is going to be a very big player for club and country.

Concerning he signed a right back who can't defend mind.

Ya exactly. Different manager might have been slated for that
paulh_85

Return to General Chat