Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

“ English club to go to Russia in Europa League “

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:05 pm

BBC

Arsenal have been drawn against Russian side CSKA Moscow in the Europa League quarter-finals.

The Gunners will host the first leg at Emirates Stadium on 5 April with the return leg in Moscow a week later.

Spanish side Atletico Madrid, who are second in La Liga, face Sporting Lisbon of Portugal.

In the other ties Germany's RB Leipzig play Marseille from France, while Italian club Lazio face Salzburg of Austria.

Arsenal beat AC Milan 3-1 on Thursday, for a 5-1 aggregate win, to reach their first European quarter-final since 2010.

They are 12 points adrift of fourth place in the Premier League and winning the Europa League appears to be their best chance of qualifying for next season's Champions League.

Political tensions between the UK and Russia have heightened after a Russian-made nerve agent was used on a former spy and his daughter in the English city of Salisbury.

The UK believes Russia is behind the poisoning, although Moscow denies this.

On Wednesday, the Foreign Office updated its advice for those visiting Russia, saying UK nationals in the country should be "aware of the possibility of anti-British sentiment or harassment".

It said the British Embassy in Moscow was "not aware of any increased difficulties for British people travelling in Russia at this time" but recommended UK nationals "remain vigilant, avoid any protests or demonstrations and avoid commenting publically on political developments".

Re: “ English club to go to Russia in Europa League “

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Rather them than me !!!

There is going to be some serious trouble out there for the World Cup, this could be their practice !!!

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:55 pm

Bluebina wrote:Rather them than me !!!

There is going to be some serious trouble out there for the World Cup, this could be their practice !!!

Arsenal will probably end up bumming 'em or getting bummed.

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Real_Blue_Really wrote:
Bluebina wrote:Rather them than me !!!

Arsenal will probably end up bumming 'em or getting bummed.

:laughing6:

Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:36 am

Hmm visited Russia on hols a couple of years ago .,.. wouldn't go now .
Rather them than me .
We might never see Arsenal again , just a thought send the Jacks instead

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:59 am

Went to Russia in 2007 with England and after my experience at the Euros even before what has happened this last week or so would never step foot in the country again.

What surprises me is that one of the group games is over subscribed so must be at least 3500 England fans travelling for that game. I genuinely fear for their safety.

Although this morning I read that they might postpone the World Cup and give it to England next year.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:09 pm

The Russians I think have told the British embassy to leave the country that's a biggar problem if you got no protection if you are in trouble for anything