Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Simple Fact: Derby failed to fulfil a fixture

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:22 pm

For me there are two issues here:

1) Was the playing surface, in the opinion of the match day referee, suitable for playing
2) Were the surrounding areas safe

I think, in respect to the first point, the answer is a resounding yes. Various photographs show a pitch in excellent condition - and on that basis the match should have gone ahead irrespective as to whether there were supporters in the ground or not!

So the next question, having decided that the playing surface is ok, is (a) do you play the match behind closed doors or (b) do you allow spectators into the ground - and the answer to this question lies in the second point.

The police appear to have indicated the area was safe and buses were running. And supporters were able to travel from South Wales and Manchester to the game. If they were able to do that then local staff should clearly have been able to turn up.

Derby, in my opinion, are guilty of failing to fulfil a fixture.

Again, and I repeat, if the game could have gone ahead (behind closed doors) it should have gone ahead - because, looking at the playing surface, there appears to be no good reason to postpone the game.

As Vince posted elsewhere - there is previous precedent in Middlesborough and Blackburn

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/middlesbrough-rocked-by-three-point-penalty-1283330.html

Re: Simple Fact: Derby failed to fulfil a fixture

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:26 pm

Well said. But with the FA do anything?

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:35 pm

Fusilier23 wrote:Well said. But with the FA do anything?

Unlikely. They don't like straight-talking people like Warnock and unfashionable clubs like us!

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:55 pm

If you check the EFL laws then they will be charged with misconduct if there is a case to answer - which seems there is.

The penalties for misconduct can be a range of things - if it was the case that derby failed to fulfill the fixture then a walkover is the only suitable punishment and the points awarded to Cardiff.

It all depends if that is an option and secondly if it is proven their is a case to answer and it goes to the disciplinary committee

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:55 pm

Add the fact that derby had major injury problems highlighted by rowett and huddleston suspended it looks from the outside a deliberate ploy to call game off. The efl will look at it as ref wasn't involved in any decision by looks of things! let's hope firstly they come down hard on them and secondly city insist game played at their convenience preferably late in season. :thumbup:

Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Dobbin wrote:If you check the EFL laws then they will be charged with misconduct if there is a case to answer - which seems there is.

The penalties for misconduct can be a range of things - if it was the case that derby failed to fulfill the fixture then a walkover is the only suitable punishment and the points awarded to Cardiff.

It all depends if that is an option and secondly if it is proven their is a case to answer and it goes to the disciplinary committee

I really hope that happens the match gets forfeited coz I really think Derby have mugged us.