Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Does Gunnarsson merit a place back in the first team?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:44 am

The Gunnarsson debate

It was great to see Aron Gunnarsson feature for Iceland the other day, making his long-awaited return from an ankle injury.

And the news that he could be in contention for the Cardiff team to face Burton Albion has triggered a debate among Bluebirds fans on social media.

Does Gunnarsson merit a place back in the first team?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Does Gunnarsson merit a place back in the first team?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:55 am

id start him 100%

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:38 am

paulh_85 wrote:id start him 100%

Gunners is one of my fav players, a leader,passionate and gives 110% every game :thumbright: :bluebird:

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:50 am

No cause paterson ralls and grucic have been immense so he has to work hard to get back into the team. Strength in depth is superb

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:04 am

Yep, only because Ralls is unfit.

Gunnar with Paterson and Grujic :thumbright:

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:13 am

Despite his showing for his country I think it'll take a little while to see him at his peak so it will either be a sub roll or start for an hour.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:04 am

It's all about 'balance' and the selected team(s) of late have been superb! :notworthy:

The question I guess, is whether Neil Warnock thinks there is a place for him in his 'system' at this point?

I'll go with the manager's decision and hope Gunnar 'does the business' should he be required :ayatollah:

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:11 am

Probably not Friday with him being out so long. Also Grujic is doing well in his role.

I guess with Ralls out the obvious three would be Gunner, Grujic and Paterson.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 am

No don't fix sonething that's not broken.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:10 pm

Course he warrants a place we have really missed him these last few months he'd be in my team every week loves playing for Cardiff City you never hear of gunnarson wanting to leave our club loves our fans sticks with us like Peter whittingham

Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:49 pm

If Ralls is fit then its a no from me. Id rather a trio of Grujic, Ralls and Patterson. But if Ralls isn't available then yes go with Gunnarsson, Grujic and Paterson. Gunnar is better than Damour and Bryson imo.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:25 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:

Course he warrants a place we have really missed him these last few months he'd be in my team every week loves playing for Cardiff City you never hear of gunnarson wanting to leave our club loves our fans sticks with us like Peter whittingham

We have won seven on a bounce and not lost since January the 1st in the championship, I love Gunnar and your always going to miss a player like that but I don’t think we have missed him as much as we thought. Others have stepped up. I would have him on the bench and bring him on to hopefully close out a game and get some minutes under his belt. Great he’s back and will be up for it especially with World Cup in the summer.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:38 pm

Stringfellow wrote:
cardiff 74 wrote:

We have won seven on a bounce and not lost since January the 1st in the championship, I love Gunnar and your always going to miss a player like that but I don’t think we have missed him as much as we thought. Others have stepped up. I would have him on the bench and bring him on to hopefully close out a game and get some minutes under his belt. Great he’s back and will be up for it especially with World Cup in the summer.

Agree with this we can't have missed him thay much because we're second! Welcome addition back though and hell find it easier to break back in with Ralls injured.

Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:49 pm

Any more info on what’s actually wrong with ralls?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:34 pm

Don't change a winning team

Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:19 pm

Sven wrote:It's all about 'balance' and the selected team(s) of late have been superb! :notworthy:

The question I guess, is whether Neil Warnock thinks there is a place for him in his 'system' at this point?

I'll go with the manager's decision and hope Gunnar 'does the business' should he be required :ayatollah:

Spot on, we are looking superb without him, and have won seven on a row, but we have the best Manager in the League and he will know if he's ready to come back in !

I suspect he will have a wait a bit unless we are well ahead, he may get a quick run out as a late sub in the second half ?

Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:29 pm

cardiff 74 wrote:

Is that meant as a joke? The guy is running down his contract and has said that he is off at the end of the season.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:59 am

cardiff 74 wrote:

1. We've won 7 games on the bounce how do you figure we've missed him??

2. He won't sign a new deal and is preparing to leave in the summer.

3. Do you follow Cardiff City?

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:18 am

cardiff 74 wrote:

Pardon????

Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Mr Cardiff City: enough said!

Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:55 pm

I have no problem with players running down their contract, we are (were) top payers and you have to play the field to see your worth. You are only worth what someone is willing to pay.

If we are currently paying Gunnar a million pound (made up figure) a year and we don't offer a million pound a year on a three years contract you'd do the same.
If we make the premier league our wage structure may be able to handle a million a year or even place relegation clauses in there, i doubt we could offer the same if we don't make it.

In the open market he may only be worth £800k a year with a choice of Cardiff, Getafe or Stuttgart.....

I don't think he is Mr Cardiff City, in my time Joey and maybe Whitts are the only two. But, like Bellers & Sol they are terrible losers and want to win everything even the toss. I want them guys in my team.

I'd start him tomorrow if Ralls is doubtful. Bryson and Damour are not defensive enough and want to play in the same ground as Paterson. Take him off after 60 mins and play Halford there if we are winning, or drop Grujic back to fill in that role and play Bryson if we need offensive threat.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:45 pm

He’s better than damour and Bryson. So yes I’d start him. We can’t take chances imho so sentiment doesn’t come in to it. If he’s looking good in training and fit then with ralls out he is the best available player

Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Yes play him, since Ralls and Bryson unfit. Why not? I doubt he’s got 90 mins in him though. Playing him in the run in will freshen things up and will let Grujic push up (by his own admission he’s attacking midfield). Gunnar, Grujic and Pato. Nice. Ps I’m sure Gunnar will stay if we clinch promotion. Having him fit now is like a new loan signing- I can only see positives with that!

Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:01 pm

No.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:22 am

Looking forward to him being back in the team today :)

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:56 am

paulh_85 wrote:Looking forward to him being back in the team today :)

Without a doubt. However good we have been without him we can always do that little bit better when he's around. He'll be vital for the big games to come.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:20 pm

City Slicker wrote:

Without a doubt. However good we have been without him we can always do that little bit better when he's around. He'll be vital for the big games to come.

I felt so reassured when he came on. He is built for this system, such an organiser.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:47 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

I felt so reassured when he came on. He is built for this system, such an organiser.

He does offer assurance in spades. I thought him a class act when he came on, albeit against mediocre opposition. I'm afraid I still can't understand all this nitpicking by much of our fan base re his passing ability; one or two of his attempts today we're sublime. He may not be a playmaker by any means but his overall contribution is immense. Warnock has a pleasant dilemma at the moment: who the hell to pick when Ralls is fit out of him Grujic, Gunnar and Paterson? We are lucky indeed to have such quality available to us.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Thought he was excellent when he came on, probably a little slower than usual but that sharpness will come back with games.

Always think he is at his best when he has something to prove be it fitness or as a sub or a duel with a player. Backs against the wall type of player. Huge to have him back for the run in.

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:55 pm

llan bluebird wrote:
City Slicker wrote:

Loudest player on the pitch when he came on