Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

What will the result of Aston Villa v Cardiff City be?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:30 pm

Aston Villa win
10%
Cardiff City win
63%
Draw
27%

Total votes : 49

MATCH THREAD: “ ASTON VILLA v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREAD

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:30 pm

ASTON VILLA v CARDIFF CITY
Tuesday 10th April, 7.45pm
Sky Bet Championship
Villa Park

Cardiff City have Sold their 2,600 Allocation :bluebird:

Cardiff City have a virtually near strength squad to pick from :thumbright: :bluebird:

09/04/18

Villa Team news

Jonathan Kodjia has returned to the matchday 18 but will only be used as an impact substitute in the games ahead, it seems.

Glenn Whelan was on the bench at Carrow Road. Alan Hutton is out and Bruce's main choice will be which of his strikers he trusts enough to get the necessary goals.

I can’t get to Villa Park, is the match on TV?

Yes, the match is live on Sky Sports.

About Aston Villa

Aston Villa Football Club (nicknamed Villa, The Villa, The Villans and The Lions) is a professional football club in Aston, Birmingham, that plays in the Championship, the second level of English football. Founded in 1874, they have played at their current home ground, Villa Park, since 1897. Aston Villa were one of the founder members of the Football League in 1888 and of the Premier League in 1992.

Aston Villa are one of only five English clubs to be crowned champions of Europe, having won the 1981–82 European Cup. They have also won the First Division Championship seven times, the FA Cup seven times, the Football League Cup five times, and the UEFA Super Cup once.

They have a fierce local rivalry with Birmingham City and the Second City derby between the sides has been played since 1879. The club's traditional kit colours are claret shirts with sky blue sleeves, white shorts and sky blue socks. Their traditional badge is of a rampant lion.

The club is owned by Recon Group Limited, a company chaired by Chinese businessman Tony Xia, and managed by Steve Bruce.

Previous Meeting

We beat Aston Villa 3-0 in August. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing scored two, with Junior Hoilett getting the other one.

Team News - Predicted Line-Ups

Aston Villa: Johnstone, El Mohamady, Chester, Terry, Taylor, Bjarnason, Snodgrass, Hourihane, Grealish, Adomah, Hogan

Cardiff City: Etheridge, Peltier, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett, Gunnarsson, Bryson, Paterson, Wildschut, Hoilett, Zohore

Form - Last Three Games

Norwich City - Aston Villa
Aston Villa 3-0 Reading
Hull City 0-0 Aston Villa

Cardiff City 0-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers
Sheffield United 1-1 Cardiff City
Cardiff City 3-1 Burton Albion

Match Odds

Aston Villa - TBC
Cardiff City - TBC
Draw - TBC

Predictions

Post your predictions below :thumbright:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: LATEST NEWS “ ASTON VILLA v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREAD

Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:48 pm

City to win away :bluebird:

Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:26 am

If its as tense as it was last night i really may have a heart attack, 2-1 uppa bluebirds :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:31 pm

1-3 City win. :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:35 pm

2-1 City and nerves shot.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:36 am

Cardiff fans have returned tickets for Aston Villa Away / Contact Vince Alm Tel 07814 779441 :bluebird: :bluebird:

Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:22 am

1-0 City. Tense. Madine header. Football has a funny way of turning zeros to heroes. I like Gary, want him to do well for us.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Whenever Villa appear on Sky, we rarely win. Out of 32 games in the Championship that Villa have been televised live, we've won only 7. The totals are as follows:

Played 32
Won 7
Drawn 13
lost 12

Needless to say, I, like many Villa fans hate us being on Sky. To balance it up a little bit, only 6 of the games were shown at Villa Park, the rest were away. From the 6 home games, we've won 2 and drawn 4.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:50 pm

Could be Bruce rests some of his big hitters ready for the play offs? A few on their boards are asking for it

Villa 0-2 City.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:41 am

The Form Guide :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:38 am

Villa Team news

Jonathan Kodjia has returned to the matchday 18 but will only be used as an impact substitute in the games ahead, it seems.

Glenn Whelan was on the bench at Carrow Road. Alan Hutton is out and Bruce's main choice will be which of his strikers he trusts enough to get the necessary goals.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 am

Pulisnewport wrote:Could be Bruce rests some of his big hitters ready for the play offs? A few on their boards are asking for it

Villa 0-2 City.

still a small chance if they win tomorrow for me. (unlikely though)

i dont expect any resting

Re: TEAM NEWS “ ASTON VILLA v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREAD

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 am

What Steve Bruce says

“There are still five games left, six for some. We could have set it up very nicely.

“But we will have to be better against Cardiff because if we are not we will get turned over. I expect us to be better and I am sure we will be.

“It’s not about what other people do, it’s about the accumulation of points. And we simply haven’t got enough in the last month. We can only look at ourselves.

“We’ll never give up, but it looks like those automatic places will be difficult to get to. We’ll try again on Tuesday.”

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:41 am

Bookies Odds Villa v Cardiff City

Villa win 13/10

Draw 12/5

Cardiff win 12/5

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:43 am

Aston Villa have won 12 of their last 14 home matches against Cardiff in all competitions, drawing the other two.

The Bluebirds have won their last two Championship matches against Villa, winning 1-0 in January 2017 and 3-0 in August this season.

After a run of 10 wins in 12 Championship games, the Villans have won just one of their last five in the league (D1 L3).

Neil Warnock has lost all six of his away Football League meetings with Steve Bruce, with all six coming with different clubs (Bury, Sheffield United, Leeds United, Crystal Palace, Rotherham and Cardiff).

Robert Snodgrass has scored in three of his last five league matches against Cardiff (three goals), but hasn’t ended on the winning side in any of those games (D1 L2).

Cardiff are winless in two Championship games, having won eight in a row previously.

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:45 am

Potential XIs

Villa (4-4-1-1): Johnstone, Elmohamady, Terry, Chester, Taylor, Snodgrass, Bjarnason, Hourihane, Adomah, Grealish, Hogan.

Cardiff (4-2-3-1): Etheridge; Peltier, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett; Gunnarsson, Grujic; Mendez-Laing, Paterson, Hoilett; Zohore

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:08 am

Forever Blue wrote:Potential XIs

Villa (4-4-1-1): Johnstone, Elmohamady, Terry, Chester, Taylor, Snodgrass, Bjarnason, Hourihane, Adomah, Grealish, Hogan.

Cardiff (4-2-3-1): Etheridge; Peltier, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett; Gunnarsson, Grujic; Mendez-Laing, Paterson, Hoilett; Zohore

I'd suggest that Jedinak replaces Bjarnason to counter your high balls.

Possibly Grabban in for Hogan

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:16 am

AV3 wrote:

I think Possibly Manga in for Gunnar and Bamba stuck on Grealish :ayatollah:

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:27 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
AV3 wrote:

I would do the same. I've never seen a player so mugged off than Gunnar was in the corresponding fixture last season. :laughing5:

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 am

AV3 wrote:
CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
AV3 wrote:

I would do the same. I've never seen a player so mugged off than Gunnar was in the corresponding fixture last season. :laughing5:

Always been a big fan of Gunnar but his last two performances have been piss poor ( could be down to fitness )
But his comments about not signing unless we go up has done it for me. :thumbright:

Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:24 pm

Why are so many people returning tickets? my Dad was in work and was able to take a day off but he went down and sold out, he now cant and last day e i see 100s of tickets getting sold and asking, whats the point of buying if your not going? :old:

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:53 am

Going to this been to Villa a few times before a nice easy trip. Expecting a 1-1 draw but hope I’m wrong and we win hope Ralls is fit to start if their fit I would play.

Etheridge

Manga
Morrison
Bamba
Bennett

Grujic
Ralls
Paterson( thinks he’s injured so gunner)

NML
Zohore
Hoilett

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:02 am

Cardiff City will drop out of the Championship top two if they fail to beat Aston Villa and Fulham win at home to relegation-threatened Reading.

Steve Bruce's Villa, who have the option of giving Jonathan Kodjia his first start in five months, are now fourth, seven points behind Cardiff, having won just once in five games.

Cardiff monitor Callum Paterson, who went off in Friday's loss to Wolves.

That put Neil Warnock's Bluebirds now nine points behind the leaders.

Midfielder Joe Ralls (knee) could feature for the first time since 25 February having returned to training, but full-back Jazz Richards (ankle) remains sidelined after suffering a setback in training.

Villa have an eight-point advantage over seventh-placed play-off hopefuls, Millwall, who they visit on the final day of the Championship season.

SAM's prediction: Home win 46% Draw 27% Away win 27%

SAM, the Sports Analytics Machine, is a super-computer built by @ProfIanMcHale of the University of Liverpool.

Villa manager Steve Bruce told BBC WM:

"It's all about your accumulation of points and, in the last month, we've not done enough.

"When it comes down to the nitty gritty, we've been found wanting. Four points out of a possible 15 is not good enough.

"Neil Warnock's been in it a long time and I've been up against him many times, so it doesn't surprise me the job he's done at Cardiff.

"If we play like we did against Norwich again, we'll get turned over. I expect us to be better."

Match facts

Having previously won eight games in a row, Cardiff City are now winless in two.

Aston Villa have won 12 of their last 14 home matches against Cardiff in all competitions, drawing the other two.

The Bluebirds have won their last two Championship matches against Villa, winning 1-0 in January 2017 and 3-0 in August this season.

After a run of 10 wins in 12 Championship games, Villa have won just once in five league games.

Neil Warnock has lost all six of his away Football League meetings with Steve Bruce. All six with different clubs (Bury, Sheffield United, Leeds United, Crystal Palace, Rotherham and Cardiff).

Robert Snodgrass has scored in three of his last five league matches against Cardiff, but did not end up on the winning side in any of those games.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:32 pm

desmond :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :ayatollah: :bluebird: :bluebird: :bluebird: :old: :old: :old:

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:35 pm

0-6 bluebirds :ayatollah: :thumbup:

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Villa 2- Cardiff 4.

Fulham 1 - Reading 1.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Bananas wrote:0-6 bluebirds :ayatollah: :thumbup:

Bloody hell mate :laughing5:

Re: MATCH THREAD: “ ASTON VILLA v CARDIFF CITY “ MATCH THREA

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Fulham 1-0 up.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:36 pm

HT - VILLA 0-0 CITY .

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Ffs with that sort of luck we got no chance? But bad finishing not helping either :banghead: