Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

Should H&S approved 'Safe Standing be permitted in modern stadia?

You may select 1 option

View results

POLL: SAFE STANDING

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:37 am

West Brom's plans to introduce safe-standing section blocked by government

The government has rejected a request from West Bromwich Albion to introduce a safe-standing section at The Hawthorns next season.

West Brom, who are bottom of the Premier League and 10 points adrift of safety with five games to play, had hoped to install 3,600 rail seats in the ground’s Smethwick End and have described the decision as “disappointing” and 'short-sighted'

The application was made to the Sports Grounds Safety Authority (SGSA), the government agency set up to regulate sports stadia after the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, and it referred the proposal to the Department of Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS).

In a statement, the SGSA said the club’s request was rejected by sports minister Tracey Crouch.

“West Bromwich Albion is subject to the government’s all-seater policy and DCMS have said that they have no current plans to change their position and introduce standing accommodation at grounds in the top two divisions covered by the all-seater policy,” it added.

A DCMS spokesperson confirmed it had “no plans” to change its policy but said it “will continue to monitor the issue of spectator accommodation and the use of safe standing where it is permitted”.

Widely used in Germany and successfully piloted at Celtic, rail seats can be flipped up and locked in place to provide a safe space to stand, while still assigning each fan a designated spot in the stadium.

Clubs in English football’s top two tiers, however, have been forced by law to be all-seater ever since Lord Justice Taylor’s report into the tragedy at Hillsborough which left 96 Liverpool fans dead.

The anger, grief and shock caused by Hillsborough meant any debate about the rights and wrongs of standing to watch football was a non-starter for years but that has changed in the last decade.

This is a result of large numbers of fans making it clear they want the choice and many safety experts pointing out that standing itself is not dangerous but standing in seated areas is. It was this last point that prompted West Brom’s director of operations Mark Miles to make the application.

Safe-standing has been successfully introduced at Celtic Park

Having visited Celtic Park and Bundesliga club Hoffenheim – and consulted with colleagues at other English sides – Miles wrote to the SGSA in October and asked if West Brom could install rail seats as a way of tackling the problem of persistent standing.

In an article published on the West Brom website, Miles said: “I find the decision from the minister of sport both surprising and disappointing. It will certainly be disappointing for many, many supporters I have spoken to who were in favour of what we were proposing.

“I think the minister has taken a short-sighted view and is preventing the club from creating a safer environment for supporters. The all-seater policy was developed over 25 years ago and football is a very different place now.

“I have become convinced that rail-seating would enhance safety. The club is extremely disappointed with this decision and we have written back requesting a review.”

Peter Daykin, head of the Football Supporters’ Federation’s safe standing campaign said: “The whole tenor of the debate on standing has changed massively in recent years, so this is a really disappointing decision.

“West Brom have done brilliantly in seeking out a solution that is best for those supporters who want to stand and those who want to sit.

“They should be applauded for offering to test technology that has been proven to work so well at Celtic, around Europe and the rest of the world.”

Re: POLL: SAFE STANDING

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:44 am

This is just a no brainer.

In areas where everyone already always stands, it's more dangerous to have seating as it's easier to trip up and fall over. Safe standing is far safer.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:47 am

If this ever was to be put to a vote of general fans, No fan should vote no and it is quite selfish if they do. If you do not want to stand then get your ticket in a sitting section. The standing section would only be a small section of the ground anyway.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:52 am

Watched a clip on the BBC about Celtic's safe standing area. Perfectly safe.

They have seats that are locked up but can be lowered for their European games as they aren't allowed to use it then.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:53 am

jimmy_rat wrote:Watched a clip on the BBC about Celtic's safe standing area. Perfectly safe.

They have seats that are locked up but can be lowered for their European games as they aren't allowed to use it then.

Yup - they have these in German grounds. I think it was the Munich Olympic stadium I seen them :thumbright:

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:02 pm

100 percent yes

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:03 pm

100% yes - I don't understand why this hasn't been allowed for all clubs yet.

I have never liked watching football sitting down and safe standing rail seating has proved to be, er, safe.

WBA could be playing Shrewsbury next season and they already have it whilst the Baggies have been refused. Mad. And I think that standing has a clear affect on creating an atmosphere as proved on our awaydays.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:24 pm

Escott1927 wrote:If this ever was to be put to a vote of general fans, No fan should vote no and it is quite selfish if they do. If you do not want to stand then get your ticket in a sitting section. The standing section would only be a small section of the ground anyway.

Totally agree. Overcrowding is dangerous, not standing up. I would always sit due to back pain, but choice should be offered wherever possible. Although, I wish people who have insisted on standing up in front of me had been self selfish

Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:54 pm

Cardiff dyskinesia wrote:
Escott1927 wrote:If this ever was to be put to a vote of general fans, No fan should vote no and it is quite selfish if they do. If you do not want to stand then get your ticket in a sitting section. The standing section would only be a small section of the ground anyway.

Totally agree. Overcrowding is dangerous, not standing up. I would always sit due to back pain, but choice should be offered wherever possible. Although, I wish people who have insisted on standing up in front of me had been self selfish

Introducing safe standing would eliminate the problem straight away :thumbright:

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Yes I would love it, but it will never happen as no government would want to be the one that allowed it, as if something went wrong in the future they would be held accountable.

Health and safety has taken over the World and there have been no deaths since seating was installed, (So talk sport said), so it won't be back IMO.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Bluebina wrote:Yes I would love it, but it will never happen as no government would want to be the one that allowed it, as if something went wrong in the future they would be held accountable.

Health and safety has taken over the World and there have been no deaths since seating was installed, (So talk sport said), so it won't be back IMO.

On the basis of the Taylor report that all Stadia should be all seater after the Hillsborough disaster, the Hillsborough disaster occurred because of the incompetence of south Yorkshire’s finest trying to cram all the supporters into the one pen whilst the pen to the side was a 1/4 full . The fact it was a terrace wasn’t the cause of why it happened
It was human error after a bit of panic Stations

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:36 pm

Walinoz wrote:
Bluebina wrote:Yes I would love it, but it will never happen as no government would want to be the one that allowed it, as if something went wrong in the future they would be held accountable.

On the basis of the Taylor report that all Stadia should be all seater after the Hillsborough disaster, the Hillsborough disaster occurred because of the incompetence of south Yorkshire’s finest trying to cram all the supporters into the one pen whilst the pen to the side was a 1/4 full . The fact it was a terrace wasn’t the cause of why it happened
It was human error after a bit of panic Stations

I understand and agree but they made a recommendation for all-seater stadiums, it will take a lot for a home secretary to come out and say fine they look safe, because if there are ever deaths caused after the ruling they will be held accountable.

That's the view talksport were taking on it, and I agree, I don't think anyone will stick their neck out?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:21 pm

A good point was made by a safe-standing campaigner.

There’s a real possibility that West Brom could be in the same league as Shrewsbury next season - Shrewsbury have permission to install a safe standing area, yet West Brom don’t.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:27 pm

I wonder if Brighton are applying for Safe Sitting zones?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:21 pm

Come on who are the two knock jockys that voted no?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:33 pm

nubbsy wrote:Come on who are the two knock jockys that voted no?

AV3 and AV4, too dangerous for their poor little players, fans could shout too loud if stood up :laughing6:

Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:02 pm

100% yes, its been a success at celtic, albeit a small section and has been a part of top flight german football for a number of years, I can't see a valid reason for it being introduced.