Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW “ CARDIFF CITY PUNISHED LATE ON “

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:43 pm

I think the better team won tonight, Villa dominated us for a lot of the game.

Despite not being the better team - we had chances to score again, but didn’t take them. And we were punished with a brilliant goal by Jack Grealish.

ASTON VILLA 1-0 CARDIFF CITY

Villa started the game quickly and could have been 1-0 up early on when Lewis Grabban hit the side netting.

City had a good chance to take the lead when Zohore put through Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and he hit the post.

Callum Paterson booked in the first half.

First half went quiet then until Zohore had a shot cleared off the line. Just after, Johnstone made a great save from his own player Glenn Whelan - the Villa keeper also saved the follow up from Paterson.

HT Villa 0-0 Cardiff City

Villa could have had a penalty at the start of the second half, when it looked like Bennett brought down Snodgrass.

Kenneth Zohore should have scored in the 56th minute but Johnstone saved his shot.

Jonathan Kodjia nearly scored in the 64th minute but a good save from Etheridge.

Gary Madine replaced Kenneth Zohore on 68 minutes.

Hourihane shot wide for Villa in the 69th minute when he should have scored.

Aron Gunnarsson, Lee Peltier and Joe Bennett booked in the second half.

Johnstone made a good save from Mendez-Laing in the 81st minute.

GOAL. Jack Grealish gave Aston Villa the lead with a brilliant goal in the 84th minute.

Jamie Ward replaced Junior Hoilett in the 87th minute and got booked straight away.

Anthony Pilkington replaced Nathaniel Mendez-Laing in the 89th minute

Paterson headed over in the 93rd minute.

FT

ASTON VILLA 1-0 CARDIFF CITY

Re: MY VIEW “ CARDIFF CITY PUNISHED LATE ON “

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Typed that up quick

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:44 pm

My view is again we have had no midfield Paterson isn’t working

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:46 pm

paulh_85 wrote:Typed that up quick

100 words per minute :thumbright:

Great season but we are not good enough for promotion. I feel we will stumble into the playoffs and then falter against a team in form.

Too many long balls
Zahore is massively off form
Gunnarsson has upset the midfield
Hoilett is shattered
Substitutions need to come earlier

But its still in our hands and the hard games out of the way

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:49 pm

thomasblue wrote:Too many long balls
Hoilett is shattered

This ^

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Gunners can't pass , supposed to be man marking grealish ..Joke. Zohore finally shown up not willing to put his body on the line. Warnock not willing to make subs early. Patterson not a midfielder.
Next game play Bryson,Madine, Ward and Pilkington and Damore..Who must be livid to be dropped for Gunners.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Sloper Road wrote:Gunners can't pass , supposed to be man marking grealish ..Joke. Zohore finally shown up not willing to put his body on the line. Warnock not willing to make subs early. Patterson not a midfielder.
Next game play Bryson,Madine, Ward and Pilkington and Damore..Who must be livid to be dropped for Gunners.

I think patterson has been doing well and we have nobody else to fill that role with this formation

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Hoilett is shattered

Norwich, Derby and Hull, all away won't be easy! ;)

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:55 pm

No mate... we were punished the moment the team sheet was printed... lessons won’t be learned from prior set ups. Grealish enjoyed his freedom today ffs #manmark

Very harsh on Patterson he has been on fire I was surprised he played tonight but Gunners a player I love just seems out of place since he come back

City Slicker wrote:
Hoilett is shattered

I honestly think we will lose them all.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:56 pm

City Slicker wrote:
Hoilett is shattered

Hull are on fire

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:57 pm

We had some good chances tonight, Villa just had that quality moment through Grealish as Wolves did with Neves. Those two teams are up with us for good reason. It's still in our hands.. the team have got this far, they're not going to give up now :-)

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:00 pm

We looked tired so did they but can anyone explain why subs not used until 87+ mins? Stupid in extreme :roll:

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:04 pm

I thought villa were average at best. Not convinced Paterson was fit enough to start. Hoilett needs a rest. We should be ok for a play off spot so time to rest the players on a rotation basis and prepare for the play offs. I cannot understand why gunners was in the starting 11 again. Villa no chance of top 2. Mom NML for me the only likely scorer.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:05 pm

We were 2nd bottom when Warnick came in. Look at us now......fighting for promotion. Expectation has changed. Let’s not feel too down. It can still be done, and if not auto, let’s be positive for the POs. There was plenty of chances to win this game tonight. I’m positive for Norwich. Pato is alright.....he’s a gladiator and we don’t have another player to fill that advanced midfield role. He’s done amazingly for us as in that advanced no 10 (ish) role with his goals. Tough old fixtures for the run in, but we’re ok. Let’s keep believing.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:06 pm

palerider wrote:I thought villa were average at best. Not convinced Paterson was fit enough to start. Hoilett needs a rest. We should be ok for a play off spot so time to rest the players on a rotation basis and prepare for the play offs. I cannot understand why gunners was in the starting 11 again. Villa no chance of top 2. Mom NML for me the only likely scorer.

Mental :lol:

Hoilett is shattered

This.

Key players look worn out (Junior, Patterson).
Striker is off form (Zohore).
Midfield missing Ralls, Gunnerson is an absolute liability in every department. He looks lost in this team and has been a major contribution to losing the last 2 games. He cost the goal - he wasn’t marking anyone, let alone the goal scorer. Total utter liability.
Also, saw it at Wolves and tonight - our players seem to want to smile and laugh with the other team players. Too “nice”? We are now showing playoff form and I don’t see anything left in the tank. Will still be an incredible result to get to playoffs, but auto looks gone.

JB1 wrote:We had some good chances tonight, Villa just had that quality moment through Grealish as Wolves did with Neves. Those two teams are up with us for good reason. It's still in our hands.. the team have got this far, they're not going to give up now :-)

Great post, I totally agree of course we can still get promoted

What is wrong with people on here, we are a good strong no nonsense team if we don't go up automatically still fancy us in the play offs

Were Villa better than us tonight, maybe slightly but who had the best chances.. we did

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:08 pm

Family Stand Man wrote:
Hoilett is shattered

This.

Key players look worn out (Junior, Patterson).
Striker is off form (Zohore).
Midfield missing Ralls, Gunnerson is an absolute liability in every department. He looks lost in this team and has been a major contribution to losing the last 2 games. He cost the goal - he wasn’t marking anyone, let alone the goal scorer. Total utter liability.
Also, saw it at Wolves and tonight - our players seem to want to smile and laugh with the other team players. Too “nice”? We are now showing playoff form and I don’t see anything left in the tank. Will still be an incredible result to get to playoffs, but auto looks gone.

Gunnarson is not a liability, a bit rusty after a six month lay off yes, but definitely not a liability

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:10 pm

The game was there to be won. Luck wasn't with us but too many players were not good Enoug. Love warnock but far too late with subs

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:16 pm

[quote=
Gunnarson is not a liability, a bit rusty after a six month lay off yes, but definitely not a liability[/quote]

I know he has his fans (as did Whittingham) but he just sits there, out of position, in a key role, doing sweet FA. If he starts the next game, I’ll eat humble pie, but if not - I believe my assessment is correct.

Still in our hands as it is a shootout with Fulham. Felt we were really unlucky tonight but we are crying our for a ball playing midfielder. I lost count the amount of time we lost the ball or just gave a hopeful long ball which we ended up losing.

It's done now, we move onto Saturday & have to win. I'm gutted I have to be honest, wrong time of the season to have a slump :|

Need a change of formation, that's a f*cking gaping hole in the middle of the the pitch. Our only outlet is long balls to MNL/Hoilet/Zoh.

Last few games 2 out of the front 3 have been off form which makes it difficult to build any attack. Team know how we are going to play. So its time to change it up which we can do.

but to be honest we should of scored tonight, City and Villa could of easily had 2 each.

So much running in out team there all fucked now

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:20 pm

paulh_85 wrote:
palerider wrote:I thought villa were average at best. Not convinced Paterson was fit enough to start. Hoilett needs a rest. We should be ok for a play off spot so time to rest the players on a rotation basis and prepare for the play offs. I cannot understand why gunners was in the starting 11 again. Villa no chance of top 2. Mom NML for me the only likely scorer.

Prepare for playoffs? so we can't get auto promotion ?? :banghead:

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:21 pm

Not sure why my post was mental play offs appear to be the most likely outcome in my ipinion some of our starting 11 look like they would benefit by having a game or two rest and they need to be on their game for play offs.
We all have our own different opinions I guess .
Nothing wrong with the play offs that would still be a great achievement.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:24 pm

pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Only on paper Al. I don’t think we have it in us for top 2, run out of steam and lacking quality when it really counts. Being cheated at derby and missing penalties didn’t help either.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:
paulh_85 wrote:

Only on paper Al. I don’t think we have it in us for top 2, run out of steam and lacking quality when it really counts. Being cheated at derby and missing penalties didn’t help either.

Nothing is going for us only need look at what happened tonight with villa defenders almost scoring! ! But think NW is stuck in some kind of time warp and doesn't know how to get out of it ffs 87+ mins for subs when we needed some fresh legs :o