Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

MY VIEW: WE GOT IT WRONG TONIGHT / OUR PLAYERS

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 pm

My View/Opinion

WE GOT IT WRONG TONIGHT / OUR PLAYERS LOOKED SHATTERED ON THEIR FEET.

We never created much from our midfield and never really looked like winning the game.

City drop out of the top 2 after two consecutive defeats and with Fulham continuing to win.

Possession Villa had 60%

We created some good chances, but Villa controlled the game over all.

Villa dominated the 2nd-half and in the 86th min Villa scored to win the game

First-half over all was a good half for Cardiff.

ASTON VILLA 1 CARDIFF CITY 0 :cry:
Crowd 32,560
Away Support. 2,600

Bluebirds (4-3-3): Etheridge: Peltier, Morrison, Bamba, Bennett; Grujic, Gunnarsson, Paterson; Mendez-Laing, Hoilett, Zohore.

Subs: Murphy, Traore, Manga, Bryson, J.Ward, Pilkington, Madine.

Strong start by Villa, City took their time to settle down.

But City ended the first-half very strong, with the Villa keeper making 3 good saves.

City also hit the post in the first-half.

H/T 0-0

Villa dominated most of the 2nd half.

City started to come in to the game, but a Jack Grealish goal put paid to any chance of even getting a draw.
Then in the 80th min Mendez-Laing had a good shot saved.

F/T 1-0

UP NEXT THIS SATURDAY COMING NORWICH CITY AWAY 3PM :thumbright: :bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: MY VIEW: WE GOT IT WRONG TONIGHT / OUR PLAYERS

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Drop gunnnerson

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:25 pm

Annis despite our shortcomings we should have won the game! Only bad luck & bad finishing stopped us, at moment our luck as run out totally in past 2 games plus Fulham having the luck lately despite their brilliant run! Will NW change his ways because he seems stuck in a don't lose mentality in game subs were needed on 70mins not 87+ mins :old:

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:25 pm

:bluebird:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:27 pm

Don't really agree to be honest, we crossed chances and it took a wonder strike to win it. Team certainly needs refreshing tho.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:30 pm

wez1927 wrote:Drop gunnnerson

Agreed, I just can’t see what he adds to the team. Picking him has upset a formation that was working.

Grujic and Paterson just don’t look comfortable in the new set-up.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Wez, I was a massive Gunners fan, but since his comeback he has been awful.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:40 pm

We have some very tired players in a small squad. Pilks could do with some more minutes. Rallsy is badly missed, his mobility and energy (+ the odd goal), are so important to this team. Keep believing. Warnock has turned this team around, so there’s hope. Look what the big boys have spent! We’ve done alright.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:49 pm

pembroke allan wrote:Annis despite our shortcomings we should have won the game! Only bad luck & bad finishing stopped us, at moment our luck as run out totally in past 2 games plus Fulham having the luck lately despite their brilliant run! Will NW change his ways because he seems stuck in a don't lose mentality in game subs were needed on 70mins not 87+ mins :old:

Allan, we did hit the post and yes for 10mins of the first 45mins we created all the best chances, we should of scored, but over all on controlling / bossing the game Villa were in command.

Possession Villa had 60%

We created some good chances, but Villa controlled the game.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:54 pm

piledriver64 wrote:

Agreed, I just can’t see what he adds to the team. Picking him has upset a formation that was working.

Grujic and Paterson just don’t look comfortable in the new set-up.

Spot on. Couldn't agree more. Can't be a coincidence that we have dropped 6 points since he came into the team.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:20 pm

Starting to remind me of Dave Jones with his subs Bringing them on when it is too late

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:23 pm

Forever Blue wrote:

He has unsettled the team ,too slow and points at players rather than close them down

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:40 pm

Forever Blue wrote:
pembroke allan wrote:Annis despite our shortcomings we should have won the game! Only bad luck & bad finishing stopped us, at moment our luck as run out totally in past 2 games plus Fulham having the luck lately despite their brilliant run! Will NW change his ways because he seems stuck in a don't lose mentality in game subs were needed on 70mins not 87+ mins :old:

Allan, we did hit the post and yes for 10mins of the first 45mins we created all the best chances, we should of scored, but over all on controlling / bossing the game Villa were in command.

Possession Villa had 60%

That's the theme for most of our games 60/40 possession but we still create chances and restrict teams chances like tonight! It was miraculous that they didn't score 2 own goals and Ken totally off his game ! Like said before whilst not brilliant we didn't deserve to lose last 2 games in fact bit luck could have won them both.
But not sure on NW tactics at moment appears to be hold them off and hope we score :bluescarf:

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:56 pm

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:50 am

crap review of the match, away to villa was always a tough game, i thought mendez was shyte for hitting the post and also side netting, and zahore totally should be sharper and should have scored when the keeper made an easy save from on excellent striker!!!! Deffo on the training field the Guvnour should be smashing our lads cos the crosses into the box were high and looping for their keeper and defenders to anticipate, our front two were shit!!!! midfield were dire.....MOTM Bamba....again

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:55 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Totally agree, we seem to have tried to fix something that wasn't broken just to accommodate him. Bad move.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:37 am

Gunnarsson looked lost, was pointing and talking to himself first 10mins. I prey Ralls, damour or Bryson take his place at Norwich or there will only be 1 outcome.

We did have chances, we were unlucky and Fulham imo will drop points. But, it is no coincidence that since his starting return we have drawn 1 and lost 2.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:44 am

Despite having 4 or 5 players who looked to have really heavy legs and failed to reach even nuisance level we still could and should have won the game.

Morrison, Gunnarsonn, Grujic, Hoilett and Zahore all failed to make an impact last night and Villa, in my opinion, deservedly won the game with the only real piece of quality in a low quality game.

Despite losing last night we actually confirmed our place in the playoffs so for our last 5 games we literally have "Nothing To Lose" but everything to win.

These last 5 games are going to tell us so much about this group of players because on what's gone before they are ALL winnable games.

:bluescarf: :bluescarf: :bluescarf:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:52 am

Mr Potato wrote:Gunnarsson looked lost, was pointing and talking to himself first 10mins. I prey Ralls, damour or Bryson take his place at Norwich or there will only be 1 outcome.

We did have chances, we were unlucky and Fulham imo will drop points. But, it is no coincidence that since his starting return we have drawn 1 and lost 2.

Agree he has to be dropped should of been used as a sub not come straight back in.
If it aint broke dont fix it .
We showed to much respect to wolves and villa i think .Why didnt we just go for it we were to scared to lose but thats what happened.
Just di what we done all season and go after teams and we usually win.

Gunna made difference to improve us though..

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:57 am

Gunnar spent more energy pointing his finger to players rather than running but having said that he has no pace at all.
hope ralls is fit or bryson back as gunnar is to slow for these remaining cup finals.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 am

I've been saying not to play him even before he came back into the team, he has been out for months and was always going to be way off the pace.

Our midfield had been brilliant, even after losing Ralls all of the players were able to slot in where needed. Gunnerson comes back and the midfield looks like they have never played together at all, and can't string two passes together.

Gunnerson should not be picked above Bryson of Damour, as he is not fit and he came back with too few games to try and get him fit. I can't see him paying on Saturday, fingers crossed he is not needed for the rest of the season !!!

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:20 am

Mr Potato wrote:Gunnarsson looked lost, was pointing and talking to himself first 10mins. I prey Ralls, damour or Bryson take his place at Norwich or there will only be 1 outcome.

I'm not sure about lost but absolutely knackered. Playing him 3 full games in a week after a 6 month lay off was bonkers. We need to ditch his long throws, they're currently carrying no threat. I'd go with Madine and Pilkington from the off at Norwich with Zahore and either Mendez or Hoilett dropping to the bench. We desperately need Ralls back, but you've got to be mindful of bringing players, who are short of match fitness, into games of this intensity. Where's Damour at the moment ?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:13 am

I have said all season that without Hoilett we are a very ordinary team and its no co-incidence that we have lost the last two games, which have probably been his worst performances of the season. He needs to somehow get his mojo back. I don't agree that we were poor last night, we had done enough to win it or get at least a point. Villa, with all their so called quality players were awful. Their goalkeeper would have been man of the match, had it not been for Grealish's superb strike. We always knew this run in was going to be very tough and it doesn't get any easier at Norwich on Saturday, which isn't historically a great place for us, so even a point there will be a great result. Now, Fulham have hit second spot, lets see how they deal with the pressure, I have a feeling that Brentford will get at least a point on Saturday.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:23 am

Forever Blue wrote:

same as you Annis, I've always been Gunnar over Ralls but I admitted yesterday that we are missing Ralls big time.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:
Forever Blue wrote:

same as you Annis, I've always been Gunnar over Ralls but I admitted yesterday that we are missing Ralls big time.

Gunnarsson has made his way back into the side too easily. Agree with you both, used to think he could do no wrong but he's been off the pace and he's not match fit whatsoever. In both the Wolves game and last night our midfield was empty when he pushed forward. We need a change come Saturday. NW and the players need to stand up and be counted.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:28 am

A Villa fans perspective on the game:

http://thebirminghampress.com/2018/04/a ... they-come/

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:32 am

AV3 wrote:A Villa fans perspective on the game:

http://thebirminghampress.com/2018/04/a ... they-come/

The second half carried on much how the first had left off. Never has a manager been more aptly anagrammed than the man sitting on the visitors bench and he’s built a team in his own ugly image. They foul, they niggle, they argue with the officials and as with all teams of this persuasion, each man does just enough to avoid getting booked before another takes over. I’d like to have some respect for a team who have done so well on such limited resources, but it’s difficult to have a good word to say aboutt such an outfit.

Don't need to read any further.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 am

Rude :D

What is this shite of chucking Pilks on so late? personally think he should start before Ken. Really can't get NW lately, starting to think he enjoys the Championship too much.

And pleasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssse stop the constant bleating about other teams cash :banghead: its getting boring now.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:52 am

Forever Blue wrote:

Possession Villa had 60%

Annis Villa are strong at home so I think it was expected that they would have more possession or more likely to control the game. To be honest most games we have played even at home other teams have had more possession, its just how we play. But we did limited them to a couple of chances and it took an unstoppable shot to win it for them. On another day we would have took something from that game maybe even won it. I think some fans are a bit over critical of our performance last night, maybe because it backed onto a loss to wolves.

I do agree afew players look tired though, Hoilett had some tournament before he joined up with City so maybe this is now catching up with him. I do hope Warnock refreshes the team against Norwich

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:06 pm

While we literally couldn't string more than 5 passes together without losing possession I disagree Annis.

Villa yes controlled the game and had a lot of the ball but done nothing with it, the amount of times they hit out of touch for throwing or goal kick and we looked like we would get the goal more than them and we created clear cut chances to score 2 goals with Mendez Laing and Zohore chances.

We was outdone by a world class goal and we were well worth the point despite not being no where near good at keeping the ball and playing football.

Gunnarsson needs to be dropped and I was in a minority where I said he shouldn't be in the first 11 at all when he came back for Burton home off the bench, I really still can't get how fans genuinely believed we missed him when we won 7 games in a row.

Game reminded me of Leicester City away in our promotion season apart from we lost last night.