Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

The Gunnarsson Dilema

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:06 am

The Gunnarsson dilemma

Aron Gunnarsson

The Iceland international returned to action against Burton Albion following a lengthy injury lay-off, but the Bluebirds have failed to win in any of the three games in which the midfielder has started since that 3-1 victory.

Clearly there are several mitigating factors behind that run, most notably the difficult fixtures Cardiff have had in that period while Gunnarsson needs minutes to get back to full speed after such a long spell on the sidelines.

But the midfielder endured an immensely difficult night against the Villans, and Jack Grealish in particular.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Gunnarsson Dilema

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:42 am

I’m wondering if the Icelandic football federation have bunged us some cash, to get him fit for the World Cup. Can’t see why else Warnock would pick a guy, so far off the pace.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:43 am

He’s becoming a marmite type player,love him or hate him.I personally thought he got his place back in the team too easy considering the run we was on.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:55 am

Gunner has been poor since his return. Not sure what his passing success rate is but I would imagine it is poor He keep bumping it aimlessly . I really think he has distrube the teams flow We were a winning side before he came in Saying that he has played no worse than Patterson in the same games .
We are a team that plays many long balls but since gunner has been in it has been more a lump up field than a long Ball

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:34 am

Needs to be dropped.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:40 am

I was really frustrated with his throw-ins last night, he just seemed to throw it, without it going anywhere near one of our players.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:43 am

You cant expect a player who's been out for 6 months to come back in at this stage of the season and play a full 90 minutes in 3 high intensity games in a week. He should be taken off at half time or shortly into 2nd half on Friday and last night. Last night he was a passenger for 30 - 40 minutes. That's not a criticism of him, its just about his lay off and the frequency and intensity of games.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:45 am

No dilemma for me.

Drop him to the bench for the remaining games and at the end of the season, thank him for his service and send him on his way, regardless of what division we happen to be playing in.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 am

davids wrote:No dilemma for me.

Drop him to the bench for the remaining games and at the end of the season, thank him for his service and send him on his way, regardless of what division we happen to be playing in.

Best response I’ve heard so far mate

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:47 am

Agree

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:59 am

CaerphillyBluebird15 wrote:

Agree

Agree & Agree & Agree, he can get himself fit in Russia !!!

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:19 am

Totally agree. Has to be bench but it won't happen.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:35 am

The knee jurkers reaction thread.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:56 am

Sneggyblubird wrote:The knee jurkers reaction thread.

I thought the OP was good and I've not really seen too much 'knee jerk' on this particular thread in fairness!

City have done exceptionally of late without Gunnar and from many supporters perspective it appears he hasn't enhanced the middle of the field since his comeback. I'm not 100% why (it could be his poor passing rate or his lack of fitness) but it isn't a coincidence that we've only come away from the last three (tough) games with only a single point!

It was the same when we lost Sean Morrison for four games over Christmas. It had such an adverse effect that we harvested no points whatsoever. It is similar now without Joe Ralls because he 'makes' the play in a way Gunnar does not!

IMHO, Gunnarsson needs to be replaced from the start (hopefully with Joe Ralls for Norwich and beyond) ;)

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:57 am

Does not want to be here next season, made that quite obvious.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:15 am

Ever since his 'I'm moving on if we don't go up' interview and before his injury it was plain to see his head was elsewhere.
Always liked AG but should never have been put back in a winning team.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:17 am

Jules wrote:Ever since his 'I'm moving on if we don't go up' interview and before his injury it was plain to see his head was elsewhere.
Always liked AG but should never have been put back in a winning team.

Agree with this

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:29 am

He's been terrible at times.

I was a big fan of the job he did on Neves against Wolves, but on the ball and against Villa was woeful. If he leaves Cardiff in the summer I can't see a PL team looking anywhere near him.

Massive shame, as he's been a top class servant to Cardiff City.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:35 am

Amazed Bryson didn't play with the amount of ground he covers. He didn't do too bad against Wolves I thought.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:37 am

yeah he doesn't want to be here, and yet we seem to be playing him to help him get fitness for the world cup, where he will more than likely impress, and then leave on a free. no player is bigger than the club, if he doesn't want to be here, then don't play him, I'm sure there are other players at the club who want to be here and will put more effort into it

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:46 am

bluebird04 wrote:yeah he doesn't want to be here, and yet we seem to be playing him to help him get fitness for the world cup, where he will more than likely impress, and then leave on a free. no player is bigger than the club, if he doesn't want to be here, then don't play him, I'm sure there are other players at the club who want to be here and will put more effort into it

I don't think Neil Warnock works like that; but don't let it de-mist your blurred vision! ;)

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:50 am

Its not IMO just him, its the central midfield as a whole. Grujic is too deep. Paterson too advanced. There is no zip and energy or pressing and passing.

Damour came in at Brentford and was industrious. Bryson v Wolves likewise. Nothing creative. Grujic should be given an advanced role with Damour and Bryson doing the donkey work if Ralls is still unfit

Not sure where Paterson fits in any more TBH. He is like a fish out of water.

Warnock has to be offensive at Norwich and so the midfield 3 has to change.

And as for the forwards :roll: Start PIlkington and Ward, the latter who did more in 5 minutes that some did in 90.

Madine is now turning out to be a poor signing.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 am

Danny Says wrote:Its not IMO just him, its the central midfield as a whole. Grujic is too deep. Paterson too advanced. There is no zip and energy or pressing and passing.

Damour came in at Brentford and was industrious. Bryson v Wolves likewise. Nothing creative. Grujic should be given an advanced role with Damour and Bryson doing the donkey work if Ralls is still unfit

And as for the forwards :roll: Start PIlkington and Ward, the latter who did more in 5 minutes that some did in 90.

Have to disagree. For me Paterson and Grujic need to start wether it be with Ralls or Damour.
Hoillett Zohore & NML also have to start if we are going to go for it.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:31 pm

Danny Says wrote:Its not IMO just him, its the central midfield as a whole. Grujic is too deep. Paterson too advanced. There is no zip and energy or pressing and passing.

Have to disagree. For me Paterson and Grujic need to start wether it be with Ralls or Damour.

Agree Grujic and Patterson ( who’s not a natural ) but has qualities scoring and winning second ball need to play with Damour for me. Am not sure about zohore ( still ) nml played well last night and Hoilett our best player just off it last 3.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Stringfellow wrote:

Agree Grujic and Patterson ( who’s not a natural ) but has qualities scoring and winning second ball need to play with Damour for me. Am not sure about zohore ( still ) nml played well last night and Hoilett our best player just off it last 3.

I said the midfield 3 had to change with implicitly Gunnar to sit out Norwich with midfield being Grujic, Ralls or Damour or Bryson and did not say Paterson to be axed but wasn't sure what his best position was. So we are on the same wavelength :bluebird:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Danny Says wrote:
Stringfellow wrote:

I said the midfield 3 had to change with implicitly Gunnar to sit out Norwich with midfield being Grujic, Ralls or Damour or Bryson and did not say Paterson to be axed but wasn't sure what his best position was. So we are on the same wavelength :bluebird:

Danny, in the words of Neil Warnock " I signed him as a right back but he can't defend" :laughing6: :laughing6:
Looks to me that he's played CM all his life ( I don't think he's played there previously ) so that can only mean he will improve :thumbup:

Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:12 am

My mate up at Hearts reckons he dropped into midfield to cover a few times without much success :D

But then again he is still bitter we pinched him for pennies :lol:

Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:36 pm

Sneggyblubird wrote:The knee jurkers reaction thread.

No knee jerk from me, I've maintained the same opinion about him for a while. Thanks for the service gunnar but time to move on.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:43 pm

Im a big warnock fan but i feel gunna was thrown straight in to play two games against villa and wolves was to much.
For me should of been used as a sub on 70 mins if needed and bring him in gently its to much for the boy.
Nothing wrong with the midfield we been using .
No dought hes a good player just asked to much of him in those games .
Two holding players was a tad negative aswell we far better going out to win games.

I think Warnock went for stay solid dont conceed and we knick one the other end and thats fine but for me he had it wrong villa especially were there for the taking but having said that game could of gone either way.

Bench gunna against Norwich play as we normally do go to win the game just go for it nothing to loose now but to soon for gunna to play all these games unless there were injuries to others.

Must win game again saturday big preasure now

Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:20 pm

Maybe Warnock was persuaded to play him cos of that Icelandic flag that someone waves from the Ninian Stand at the opposition fans every game.

Like Gunnarson, the flag waving just isn't as effective as it was back in the second half of 2016.