Cardiff City Forum

A forum for all things Cardiff City

ARON GUNNARSSON: THE DEBATE

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:04 pm

Did Cardiff City really miss Aron Gunnarsson?
By Jamie Kemble

Should Warnock drop the midfielder after a nightmare return from injury?

Aron Gunnarsson has endured a nightmare return to action for Cardiff City after spending more than four months out injured.

The Icelandic’s return to action brought excitement and relief for Cardiff City fans who sorely missed the long-serving midfielder.

However, his return hasn’t quite gone to plan with Gunnarsson arguably disappointing in all of his three starts for the Bluebirds since returning to action off the bench against Burton at the end of last month.

First, he featured in an overrun midfield as Sheffield United as Cardiff grabbed a last-minute equaliser.

Then, he was perhaps a little more like himself in the devastating defeat to Wolves last Friday, but he followed that up with arguably his worst performance of the season against Aston Villa on Tuesday night.

The default feeling during Gunnarsson’s absence was that he was missed by the Cardiff midfield, but just four games into his return, supporters are beginning consider whether he actually was.

The Bluebirds went 13 league games unbeaten before the Wolves defeat and Gunnarsson played around 120 minutes of that. He played 33 minutes in the run of eight consecutive wins.

Cardiff’s best run of form this season was based around a midfield not featuring the Iceland captain, it featured Ralls, Paterson, Grujic and occasionally Bryson.

Gunnarsson’s return has coincided with three tough games, in his defence, so it’s not all down to his poor form, but he has looked well off the pace.

On Tuesday night in particular, he looked to be second to every ball in the midfield, while others tightly marked their opposing number.

Every header he won in the middle of the park seemed to go to a Villa player and many fans are even growing a little tired of his trademark long throw.

It’s tough to see such opposition towards a player who has given a club so much, but ultimately, at a time when Cardiff need their big players to come to the fore, Gunnarsson isn’t delivering.

He’s also not helped by the fact Joe Ralls is yet to return and that has caused an imbalance for Cardiff, the 24-year-old has been pivotal this season.

And it will be interesting to see whether his return helps Gunnarsson settle in better, perhaps allowing him to play with the personnel he’s used to.

However, there are already calls to drop him and it’s difficult to argue against their merit on the back of his first three starts.

After such a lengthy lay-off he there must be an element of lacking match fitness, and that’s understandable, but in such crucial games for Cardiff City in the race for automatic promotion, should he be starting if that’s the case?

Gunnarsson has been at the very centre of Warnock’s plans in the past but no player should have a divine right to start, regardless of ability and reputation.

There’s no doubting that Gunnarsson is a top Championship player, usually, and he has the ability to turn his recent performances around.

However, based on his first three starts, does he really merit a spot in the Cardiff City midfield? Can Neil Warnock afford to take such risks with the pressure now firmly on?

Cardiff can afford to allow very few slip-ups now and every selection is vital, Warnock knows that better than most.

But whether he will drop an under-par Gunnarsson is another question, especially with the trust he has in the midfielder and with the uncertainty over his future at Cardiff City.

The Bluebirds have another big game on the weekend with a long trip to Norwich, but should Gunnarsson start?

What's your opinion?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: ARON GUNNARSSON: THE DEBATE

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:08 pm

No debate really, I don't think ive seen anyone say he deserves a starting place.

Also what's going on with his long throws, terrible give them back to Morrison.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:14 pm

2blue2handle wrote:No debate really, I don't think ive seen anyone say he deserves a starting place.

Also what's going on with his long throws, terrible give them back to Morrison.

I thought it was Paterson taking them ?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:14 pm

Is Aron Gunnarsson being made a scapegoat? Does he simply no longer 'fit' Neil Warnock's midfield? Or is he simply 'finding' his way back a after a lengthy lay-off?

My own opinion is that it's a mix of all three, depending on how you look at it!

He is certainly the 'current' target of many of the usual suspects and appears to be singled out a little!

He certainly doesn't appear to be 'adding' to the midfield (long throws apart) and he certainly looked tired after an hour last night!

Should Neil Warnock have taken him off? I think that was a tough one, as his 'game plan' appeared to have Gunnar shadow and interrupt Jack Squealish at every point..and that's no easy task!

Personally, I think Gunnar isn't up to match fitness after his long lay-off and starting him is perhaps not the right option if players that have helped create the recent winning run are available; Joe Ralls in particular!

I still trust in Neil Warnock and the effort last night showed the players are still with him 100% :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Sven wrote:Is Aron Gunnarsson being made a scapegoat? Does he simply no longer 'fit' Neil Warnock's midfield? Or is he simply 'finding' his way back a after a lengthy lay-off?

My own opinion is that it's a mix of all three, depending on how you look at it!

He is certainly the 'current' target of many of the usual suspects and appears to be singled out a little!

He certainly doesn't appear to be 'adding' to the midfield (long throws apart) and he certainly looked tired after an hour last night!

Should Neil Warnock have taken him off? I think that was a tough one, as his 'game plan' appeared to have Gunnar shadow and interrupt Jack Squealish at every point..and that's no easy task!

Personally, I think Gunnar isn't up to match fitness after his long lay-off and starting him is perhaps not the right option if players that have helped create the recent winning run are available; Joe Ralls in particular!

I still trust in Neil Warnock and the effort last night showed the players are still with him 100% :thumbright: :ayatollah:

Sven, I have always been a big fan of Gunnar but he has been poor since his return.
The fact that he didn't commit his future to Cardiff really pi**ed me off to be honest.
If he had come in and won every tackle, passed the ball well and played good football then I would have no objection to him moving on to better his career, but at the moment I can't see anyone wanting him unless its someone like Derby, Boro etc :thumbright:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:25 pm

There's not a debate, haven't seen anyone say he should be in the starting line up...

Seems to slow down our game too much, doesn't offer anything extra to the team we weren't getting anyway and looks well off the pace.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:27 pm

His long throws are piss poor every time he cant get past the first man, to easy for the opposition and a complete waste of time.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:42 pm

Sven wrote:Is Aron Gunnarsson being made a scapegoat? Does he simply no longer 'fit' Neil Warnock's midfield? Or is he simply 'finding' his way back a after a lengthy lay-off?

I think that is most peoples frustration, we were in good form yet Gunner walked straight into the team when clearly no where near fit.

At his best I didn't rate him as highly as some but when he isn't fit and playing like he is he just about warrants a place on the bench.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Others have done well while hes been injured, I think he should have been made to fight for his starting position a bit more.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:17 pm

What has happened to Darmour much more pace than Gunnarrsson...I would even consider putting Manga back in at CH and playing Bamba in midfield..Gunnarrsson has been poor and Hoillett is blowing hot and cold...where is Harris..and why isn t Pilkington used more.

Some baffling selections from Neil

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:34 pm

The long throws seem to be a waste of time anyway,get the ball to feet and get a decent cross in,mix it up a bit.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:35 pm

kimble wrote:What has happened to Darmour much more pace than Gunnarrsson...I would even consider putting Manga back in at CH and playing Bamba in midfield..Gunnarrsson has been poor and Hoillett is blowing hot and cold...where is Harris..and why isn t Pilkington used more.

Some baffling selections from Neil

Not sure but the only thing I know is Harris is crap.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:08 pm

He’s not a scapegoat, he has missed most of the season, had 45 mins for country, came on as sub and has then started last 3 games, he is not match sharp. We got used to playing without him and it’s unfortunate but we play better without him. We have been unlucky not to score that’s not his fault but we haven’t looked solid with him there.

Ralls is coming back hopefully, Bryson is there damour is there so use them. Midfield needs a shake up it’s not right.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:10 pm

Mr Potato wrote:He’s not a scapegoat, he has missed most of the season, had 45 mins for country, came on as sub and has then started last 3 games, he is not match sharp. We got used to playing without him and it’s unfortunate but we play better without him. We have been unlucky not to score that’s not his fault but we haven’t looked solid with him there.

Ralls is coming back hopefully, Bryson is there damour is there so use them. Midfield needs a shake up it’s not right.

This is probably the most accurate opinion re Gunnars :thumbright:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Chris honest question, when's the last one of gunnersons long throws had an end product?

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:32 pm

nubbsy wrote:

Chris honest question, when's the last one of gunnersons long throws had an end product?

That's unfair nubs, he hasn't played for months :laughing6:
I've always thought they were pointless but I do remember a couple of panicked defences at the start of the season.
Can't remember any goals from these mind :laughing6:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:55 pm

It’s no debate love Gunnar but been out since November championship is relentless. Impossible for him.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:55 pm

The Simple Answer Would Be Yes, but I think that he would a month of playing matches as he has been out for about 6 months, it is really simple if you think about why his return is poor, he has been out 6 months and the longer your out of the game the worse the return would be, but by saying this Cardiff City have faced tough injuries such as Zohore, Nathaniel Mendez-Lang, Sean Morrison, Jamie Ward, Danny Ward and of course Callum Paterson and Aaron Gunnarsson.

Zohore's return was not good but slowly as the games got on he got better, and the same could be said about Mendez-Lang.
But with Aaron Gunnarsson wanting the chance for the World Cup I think that Neil Warnock has no choice but to choose him because of that World Cup chance, and that there are no other suitable replacements who are 100% match fit.

Thank god we have got Paterson and Grujic playing and eventually Joe Ralls will be back to replace Gunnarsson, I think gunnarsson should come off the bench and replace the tired ralls or paterson.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Gunnars needs legs and technical ability to compliment his attributes.

He doesn't have this with Grujic and Paterson. Biggie for the boss to go back with Grujic as the sitter but i don't think Gunnar is anywhere near match fit and its the wrong time in the season to experiment with combinations.

I am guessing Ralls must be knackered as he would have been on the bench by now if he was OK.

Needs to go back to what was working Grujic sitting with Bryson and Damour if safety first or Kenny and Madine if going for it.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:27 pm

He’s hardly featured all season, he’s fit but not match sharp. His role too is the most physically demanding on the pitch and from what I’ve seen nobody can question his effort. You could see the lad fading v Villa. To be fair, who else do we play that could give us more. When Rallsy comes back and we don’t win, will we all be slagging him off too? The current form is just part of being in the The Championship. It’s a hellisly difficult league to crack. There are more twists and turns yet. If Gunnarsson scores in the next few games he’ll be heralded as the saviour! Get a grip. He’s ok.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 pm

If it’s true that he said he want’s to move on if we don’t go up, then he’s kind of set himself up to be a scapegoat. You can’t be saying that sort of thing, and then walk straight into the team and not produce good performances. It’s plain to see since he’s come back the midfield is unsettled, and more importantly he doesn’t derserve to be in the team.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:13 pm

A lot of people will back track on this because a thread a month or so ago suggested we missed him despite winning 7 games in a row without him.

Some supporters need to cut this whole sentimental boll**k out because it really does hold us back it's like when we never had any welsh players in the squad, like when people said Huws was unfairly treated but Adeyemi was rightfully shoved out the door yet they were both similar players who basically was in the same boat as each other, couldn't stay fit and just couldn't fit into the team under the style and managers we had.

And with Gunnarrson yes he has been here since 2011 and I can't deny his loyalty and commitment to us but he is a woeful player when it comes to technical ability and his work rate is yes second to none but I just think he upsets the rhythm of a game that I want to see and he's better to have off the bench than starting these days.. this is a guy who has been stalling and bringing his contract situation up into the media and public where every other player has just got their heads down and got on with it, A fair amount of City supporters have built this guys reputation up to the point where he is our best player in our squad and he thinks that himself by him and his agent bringing out the idea there's a contract in the offing and he won't sign it until our fate is decided this season.

Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:00 pm

nubbsy wrote:

Jack, I was looking for something/anything positive to say on what I've seen since he came back...but it's tough!